Adding a fitting to a stock tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
How would I go about adding a hose barb fitting to a stock tank. If I can do this, I may have come up with a reasonable solution for my super cheap aux tank project.

The fitting would come off the right side under the fender between the plastic mud guard thing and the frame. It would not interfere with tank removal or anything, nor would it stick out or increase the risk of getting smacked by a boot or anything while getting on/off the bike.

I would go with an AN bulkhead fitting personally. The fuel system in my racecar is all AN stuff and I'm a big fan. I imagine the most difficult part would be holding the nut on the inside of the tank.

I would go with an AN bulkhead fitting personally. The fuel system in my racecar is all AN stuff and I'm a big fan. I imagine the most difficult part would be holding the nut on the inside of the tank.

Ah. Good to know. I'll have to look through their stuff and see if they have a quick disconnect that I could put right up close.

Any ideas about how to hold a nut hard enough against the inside of the tank? I think this is why I'm wondering about some sort of welded (or j-b weld, which I know is ghetto) option.

Buy a cheap wrench in the appropriate size and weld a couple of small pieces of metal on to it to hold the nut but allow clearance for what passes through it. Probably have to cut n weld the wrench as well tto create the perfect tool for the job. Has worked well for me in the past.

The bulkhead fitting could work.
Another option would be to take the tank to a local radiator shop and have the braze or weld a bung onto the tank.

If you have an extended swingarm (3'/ 6") you could have Sean extend the stock and while doing so add the fitting when the back is off the tank. Sean's mod adds about 1 gal so I'm not sure if this option would be worthwhile unless you were looking to do some really long trips.

Swingarm is on my list, but too much $$$ right now. I have at least two tanks sitting around here, so I think I'll take one to a radiator shop near work sometime next week. I gotta get the extended tank in first, so I know what size fitting I'll need, though. If I found a steel fitting, I could probably weld it on there with some silicon bronze and make that work, but these tanks are super thin and my welding skills are.... beginner.

thread a fitting in place of the drain plug and run your hose up from there. same place we've pulled from for nitrous

As simple as getting one of these

BHF-21.jpg

And fit it with one of these...

step%20drill%20bit.jpg

If I found a steel fitting, I could probably weld it on there with some silicon bronze and make that work, but these tanks are super thin and my welding skills are.... beginner.

If you do this be sure to purge the tank with clean air for some time before thinking about welding on it. Probably not a bad idea for drilling either. Better safe than sorry!

I'm gonna do it with a tank that's been empty for coating for a month.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

thread a fitting in place of the drain plug and run your hose up from there. same place we've pulled from for nitrous

Will that allow me to run a 1 gallon aux tank open all the time? I don't think it would be enough to force fuel up into the vent if it was gravity fed. It sure would be easy, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Not sure where your aux tank will be located, but......why not connect the supply hose onto the existing tank vent pipe, after removing the orifice?
Easy enough to re-connect, when not using the aux, and if you still wanted to retain an orifice, this could be placed in the vent hose, instead of the tank fitting. I think the reason for the orifice is to further restrict the flow of gas, even though the tip-over valve eventually stops it completely.
Of course the aux tank would have to be vented, the simplest way by means of a vented cap.
Cheers!

I'll get the tank first and see what's up. I'll email the company and see if the cap is vented (it looks like it would have to be).

Posted with my thumbs.

Best way to purge for welding is to stick the tank on the end of a car exhaust....the fumes blows out vapours and fills tank with dead air..

Latest posts

Back