Adjusting new throttle cables

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I replaced my old worn upper throttle cables with some braided ones I got from Sean. I have a question about it though, and I'm not sure of the answer. There are 2 cables. One of them has a giant long nut that you can use to adjust the slack. I've got mine almost all of the way out and there is still about 1/2" of slack when I start to turn the throttle grip. Is there something in the carbs where the other end of the cable connects that will allow me to adjust more and eliminate this slack? I haven't taken the carbs off yet to check it out.

There is an adjustment down on the lower carb cables too. On the bracket in the center of the carbs.

Sean

I have the same issue with my aftermarket ss cables. I have the upper and lower adjusting nuts turned out as far as possible without falling out and I still have too much free play in the throttle. One thing I have noticed is that the "balls" on the ends of the ss cables are the same size while the throttle tube openings that they sit in are different sizes. This seems to cause the ball that rides in the larger hole to not remain seated, thus adding some additional free play. Has anyone else noticed or had an issue with this?

I've had custom cables made at Barnett which eliminates the slide box completely..just goes from grip to carbs..but I've also had too much slack and Barnett can shorten them if this is truly the problem.

I don't like the single piece cables (we can get them made too) as it's a pain when working on the carbs.

The oem lower cable has an adjustment as well near the carb not the junction box.

Sean

Sean, yeah I have that adjusting nut turned out as far as possible as well. It's not really affecting anything, it just bothers me when I'm stopped to have all that slack in the throttle.

should be able to get the slack out, i assume you got the correct cables, maybe one of the tabs are bent, where the lower cables go thru to push against :confused2:

I just put a set on a couple of days ago and didn't have any issues. I've only ever had to warranty one set that we still aren't sure were bad (I just sent them back for inspection the other day). It's possible they are too long? Maybe compare them with the old cables.

Sean

Latest posts

Back