Adjusting the preload on shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I JUST PUT ON NEW 13 INCH PROGRESSIVE SHOCKS & TOOK OFF MY 1 YEAR OLD 12.5 IN PROGRESSIVE SHOCKS . .. WHEN I PUT THE 12.5'S ON LAST YEAR AND ADJUSTED THE PRELOAD WITH THE WRENCH THEY GIVE YOU , SCRATCHES THE PAINT A LITTLE AND WHILE TURNING IT , THE PAINT GETS SCRAPED OFF OF THE DIFFERENT " STEPS " & THE PIECE CONNECTED TO THE SHOCK THAT THE STEP SITS ON ! ... THEN I HAD TO TAKE TOUCH UP PAINT & PAINT IT ! ... SO I WENT TO PUT ON MY 13 INCH SHOCKS , I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADJUST THEM ALL THE WAY UP WITHOUT SCRAPING UP THE NEW PAINT ! ... SO MUCH TO MY SURPRISE , BEFORE PUTTING THEM ON , I WAS ABLE TO TURN THE SHOCKS UPSIDE DOWN ONTO A PIECE OF WOOD WITH A RAG ON IT AND WITH THE HEELS OF MY PALMS , PUSH DOWN ON THE SPRING PERCH WITH ALL OF MY WEIGHT & COMPRESS THE SPRING ENOUGH SO THAT MY FRIEND COULD JUST TURN THE " STEPS " WITH JUST THE TIPS OF HIS FINGERS & THEN I RELEASED THE SPRING WITH THE STEP IN THE DESIRED POSITION ( ALL THE WAY UP ) AND PUT THE SHOCKS ONTO THE BIKE , WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE SHOCKS WITH A TOOL , THUS THE PAINT IS STILL NEW & UNSCRATCHED ! .. :punk:

Most of the time I have enough grip to grab and turn the shocks by hand to adjust the preload.

Sean

With my HD440's I was able to turn the spring preload by hand to adjust, but they sound like they adjust differently than the 412's.:confused2:

Ya the 440s are a hand job - no tool required as they just screw in and out smoothly.

I think most of the other (cheaper) models are like the OEM shocks - they need a shock spanner and usually have 5 (clicks) settings.

SETTING THE SPRING PRE-LOAD , IF YOU DO NOT COMPRESS THE SPRING , THE ADJUSTER STEPS RUB HARD ON THAT LITTLE TAB THAT THE ADJUSTER STEPS REST IN PLACE ON , AND IT SCRAPES THE PAINT OFF ! ... :confused2:

I JUST PUT ON NEW 13 INCH PROGRESSIVE SHOCKS & TOOK OFF MY 1 YEAR OLD 12.5 IN PROGRESSIVE SHOCKS . .. WHEN I PUT THE 12.5'S ON LAST YEAR AND ADJUSTED THE PRELOAD WITH THE WRENCH THEY GIVE YOU , SCRATCHES THE PAINT A LITTLE AND WHILE TURNING IT , THE PAINT GETS SCRAPED OFF OF THE DIFFERENT " STEPS " & THE PIECE CONNECTED TO THE SHOCK THAT THE STEP SITS ON ! ... THEN I HAD TO TAKE TOUCH UP PAINT & PAINT IT ! ... SO I WENT TO PUT ON MY 13 INCH SHOCKS , I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADJUST THEM ALL THE WAY UP WITHOUT SCRAPING UP THE NEW PAINT ! ... SO MUCH TO MY SURPRISE , BEFORE PUTTING THEM ON , I WAS ABLE TO TURN THE SHOCKS UPSIDE DOWN ONTO A PIECE OF WOOD WITH A RAG ON IT AND WITH THE HEELS OF MY PALMS , PUSH DOWN ON THE SPRING PERCH WITH ALL OF MY WEIGHT & COMPRESS THE SPRING ENOUGH SO THAT MY FRIEND COULD JUST TURN THE " STEPS " WITH JUST THE TIPS OF HIS FINGERS & THEN I RELEASED THE SPRING WITH THE STEP IN THE DESIRED POSITION ( ALL THE WAY UP ) AND PUT THE SHOCKS ONTO THE BIKE , WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE SHOCKS WITH A TOOL , THUS THE PAINT IS STILL NEW & UNSCRATCHED ! .. :punk:

That's how I got my 412's apart to paint a few years back. I did it all by myself though... Putting them back together I had someone slip the retainer in for me as I couldn't do it without scratching.

I now have the 440's and all you do is screw the top spring cover down for preload. You just use your hand... Pretty nice IMO. Now I don't need any tools! :eusa_dance:

That's how I got my 412's apart to paint a few years back. I did it all by myself though... Putting them back together I had someone slip the retainer in for me as I couldn't do it without scratching.

I now have the 440's and all you do is screw the top spring cover down for preload. You just use your hand... Pretty nice IMO. Now I don't need any tools! :eusa_dance:
Also the 440's are infinatly more tuneable due the threaded adjustment. Anything is better than the stockers like mine, 18 years old and worn out!

Back