Adjustments after installing K&N air filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmax9

Reaction score
I am finally planning to install the K&N air filter for my 2004 V-max (one piece, not the 4 pods). The guy who convinced me to buy it said I'd simply need to adjust some screws X amount of turns.

What do I need to do to the fuel mixture to ensure it runs well? I have no modifications to my engine. Would the number of turns be standard per set-up? That is, for all stock engines, would I take the mixture screws back to closed (clockwise) and the turn it back out counter-clockwise X number of turns? And, actually, I don't know which screws nor how many of them I need to turn.

Thanks for helping this clueless guy.
Derek
2004 V-Max

Welcome Derek! The restriction is the air box intake so no jetting or carb changes when swapping air filter. You could run w/o a filter and it would run the same.

Doh! Sounds like I wasted $45 on the filter. I guess it'll save me the price of replacement paper filters down the road.

Exactly the reason I bought one at the time! Stock filters are $45 a piece. With the K&N you only need to buy the recharger kit every few years.

it was probably placebo, or the fact it was original, but before i knew i was selling my '94 last yr i changed out the filter to a KN from stock, and it just sounded better and had maybe 5% more getup and go...

What we are hearing from several top tuners and race teams (ie Graves Motorsports) is in many cases the stock filtration may provide for the best airflow. However, the reusable filters will likely save a street rider on the long run in replacement costs.

I run a washable filter in everything, just so I'm not buying filters every other month.

Hey guys. I am considering a K&N but have heard that the best HP and performance numbers are comeing from running the 4 pod type setup with a block-off plate?> What are the advantages if any of this setup and where do I find the kit or plate or whatever I need. -

I currently have the Kerker 4-2-1 and the T-boost ordered.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

Any recomendations on a good steereing damper??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back