Adrenaline And Cold Weather

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
In my continued attempt to fight the forces of mother nature and delay the hibernation of the max, I had to fire her up yesterday and take her for a ride (Was also looking to destress a bit). Wasn't too bad, mid 40's by the time I took off. Took a ride to a place called New Hope Pa., about a 35 minute ride. This is a little place in PA , right off the river that has a bunch of antique and specialty stores and restaurants that people by the masses come to shop, sightsee, etc. Kind of pricey and borderline yuppie if you ask me but its a nice place to visit from time to time. Anyhow it also draws a huge Harley crowd and most of them hang out at the outside bars that are on the strip. I've only had the bike on the road for a few months now and I've since put a set of holeshots on the bike and jetted her, so she sounds loud and mean. For some reason it seems to get nicer sounding the more I ride her as if its getting a bit louder (maybe I'm loosing it). Anyhow I haven't had the bike out much in such a very public biker hangout so I had every intention of having some fun once there :) With the pipes and in first gear maybe 2k rpm, it has a very nice mean low note. So I rolled into town trying to keep the rpms up a bit and speed as slow as possible. Passed by the outside bars first and noticed about 20 HD riders hanging out, not that it's hard to pick them out of a crowd. Not that I despise HD bikes, I actually think some of them are nice, but I despise the HD mentality. Coming from riding a Suzuki bandit, I constantly heard "Hey when you gonna get a real bike".. Actually pulled up to a bar near the Delaware Water Gap one time, must have been a local HD hang out, and some chick ran out and yelled "No Jap bikes allowed". Well, not sure why, but since I was young, anyone told me I couldn't do something or something was too difficult, I figured out a way to get it done. Anyhow to make a long story short, I took off my helmet , waked right up to her in the doorway, said how’s it going and sat right at the bar next to her man and ordered me a beer. I didn’t care if I got my ass handed to me but I hate the HD mentality and no one was going to tell me I couldn't enter the bar because I rode a "Jap" bike, all I know is that the first person that started with me was gonna get it. Anyhow enough background on why I dislike the Hd crowd, I'm sure you've all experienced it as well.
So back to New Hope. As I cruised by the bar I noticed all heads turned my way trying to figure out what sounded so sweet and evil at the same time. Did a few short launches (it sounds sick with the pipes). I made every use of the stopped traffic to tastefully rev her up, especially for those HD riders walking by as if saying , this is a real bike , when you going to get one, ;) Like I said I haven’t been in a very public spot with this bike and I was really taken back by the amount of people that complemented the bike. I had people in cars passing by giving me the thumbs up , those walking on the sidewalks stopping to check her out as I was at a stop in traffic, to those surrounding the bike as I parker her. It was cool, and I could get used to that, makes me want to get some chrome goodies from Sean this winter even faster :)..So my target was the bar, didn't want to head straight back there so I wasted a little time driving some of the back roads. It was a little cooler out now, maybe a combination of being by the water and being later in the day but my hands were a bit numb but the shots of adrenaline were keeping me just fine ;) So back to the bar I went. Up the strip , over this little bridge with 3 foot cement walls that just amplified the sound of the pipes, made sure to do a short launch there. Man I never realized how hard it is to keep a straight face while cracking up inside, its tough shit.. I need more practice. So got about 30 yards from the bar. Now keep in mind. its a two lane street bordered by sidewalks and the bars are right at the edge of the sidewalk so the people at the bars are close by:) All heads turned again towards me, the pressure was on, I had my game plan, now just had to execute it without f'n up. I let the distance of the car in front of me increase more than what I needed just incase. From rolling I wacked the hell out of the throttle and I felt the back wheel break loose as I kept on the trottle..rear end kicked out a tiny bit but nothing to make your ass pucker up, held that for about 10-12 feet...It was f'n awesome...Right in your face , loud ass mean sound...I'm still learning the max but this was perfect and you know everyone within the area had to hear it :) (I was just praying that the cops that walk around in the crowd were not there today)....I then pulled up to the bar past the one I just visited and parked her. Guys at the bar (some riders) were all like , " mann that is sweet and sounds awesome" (bike is mostly stock except for the exhaust, some aluminum bar ends and brake bar from COO). Bike still needs a bit of fine tune on the carbs, think the floats are a bit off but she basically runs great. Needs a new rear tire so maybe that’s why it breaks loose soo easily not sure it will still do that with new rubber. It did get colder on my way home, doing the old reach and put the hand on the motor routine, but all in all it was a great ride and very entertaining :) When I really got cold , just got on the throttle harder and got the good old shot of adrenaline which managed to keep me from noticing the cold. Just thought I'd share.

Great story, and glad it worked, as planned. 40's in PA? Wow...barely that warm here in Texas.

I'm sure if I'd tried that stunt, I'd have f-d it up and been a real hero. And, stakes are higher now...there surely would have been a few cell phone video cameras catching it, and I'd be here via youtube by now. :rofl_200:

Case and point, a few weeks ago a bunch of us went to the IMS show in Dallas. We got to the convention center, and were in a line of bikes...VMaxes in front, followed by a few Harleys.

So, the guy leading our group is on his '06 Max, and I'm behind him. We pull up to a light, and I blip the throttle, hoping it would get the guy in front a little 'encouragement', if you know what I mean. :biglaugh:

It worked. He stood up, attempted a burnout, but only managed a weak couple of turns of his back tire before he gave up. The Harley guys behind us laughed.
facepalm.gif

We'll never let him forget that one. :rofl_200:

great story dude, congrats on your vmax parading hahaha im sure there will be plenty more as the sun warms up PA in a few months.

think im gonna go start mine just to get that smile back:punk:, in full hibernation mode here :bang head:

40F? I wish it were that warm!!

My last ride was 28F. It snowed. The guy I was riding with missed out turn off. I thought I was going to freeze to death. My hands were just stinging with pain.

At every opportunity I reached down and grabbed my engine to warm up my hands.

Heated grips are going on this year!

Good story!

I'll share my standard comeback when confronting the "Snarley" attitiude. When they dis non-snarley bikes, I just tell them I couldn't afford a snarley, but I did manage to buy a snarley part. When they ask me what I mean, I just tell them I bought a new Revolution engine--makes a great starter motor for the Max. Somehow, they don't think it's as funny as I do. I think that means it works.

40F? I wish it were that warm!!

My last ride was 28F. It snowed. The guy I was riding with missed out turn off. I thought I was going to freeze to death. My hands were just stinging with pain.

At every opportunity I reached down and grabbed my engine to warm up my hands.

Heated grips are going on this year!

Good story!

Check these out Ghost...they're not much $'s, install easily and throw a bunch of heat! They won't do much for the outsides of your hands, but some decent wind breaking gloves take care of that and with nice warm palms I found temps down to 40F were comfortable. http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/grips__heated_grips/symtec/motorcycle_grip_heaters.html

I can't wait for 40 degrees to return......and the salt to go away.....

Really I don't care what the temperature is...my last ride was 22 degrees.....as long as the F#*^%$#$# salt goes away:damn angry:

Great story, but I wanna know what happened at the bar after you parked and got off the bike :confused2:.
any comments or shitty faces like I get sometimes from those big baby`s.
<<Dave>>:biglaugh:

I can't wait for 40 degrees to return......and the salt to go away.....

Really I don't care what the temperature is...my last ride was 22 degrees.....as long as the F#*^%$#$# salt goes away:damn angry:
My Vmax does not like salt in it's diet either!
The days are getting longer and warmer days are coming!
Are they here yet?
:damn angry:

Dave,
Yeah when I got off the bike I actually got a bunch of compliments, many saying how nice it sounded and how good of shape the bike was in. One asked what year it was and what I ended up paying for it and being that I'm an open person I told him. I took a seat at the bar and continued the conversation with this guy while a bunch of passer by's kept checking out the bike. After I finished my beer I got ready to leave and started her up and another guy stopped me and started asking more questions about the bike and he actually knew about the vboost and how you could add an aftermarket control to regulate when it comes on. What was great was as I was talking to him, the bike was idling, keep in mind that with the holeshots on you can feel the exhaust pressure pretty good within 4 feet, and all those passing by the bike were no more than 2.5 feet behind the bike (backed in against the curb) I couldn't help but notice all the looks as they the got a hit of the exhaust as they walked by, especially those from the ladies;)..But as I got ready to leave the guy I was talking with mentioned how nice the vmax's were and that I definitely had the fastest bike on the strip, kinda cool to hear that.
I?m sure regardless of the temperature, I?ll fire her up this weekend and take her for another ride. I didn?t get to ride her all that much this summer so I?m trying to extend my riding season but at the same time I need to put her away soon so that I can start the winter mods J

Latest posts

Back