Adventures with Powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say aluminum oxide. Glass beads can stick into tiny surface imperfections and explode under new powder, causing little bubble craters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Steve,

I use a chemical stripper for 95%...I purchased 5gal of "Erase" and it has done very well for over a year now (I screw up a lot and don't like sub-par results so the stuff get used a lot!). It's not cheap...but it works well. There are many chemical alternatives...I'll chemically strip then bead blast (to remove corrosion & surface defects). Some will say that the glass beads are causing gassing issues...I believe that to just be the substrate as glass does nothing at 400 degrees. Looking at something called "S-6"...cheaper than "Erase" and supposedly strips in like 6 minutes...goal is to get the ultimate stripper that wipes out all paints and does no harm to the metal...still looking for that wonder product...

Frank, I saw the original Erase post but crapped when I saw the price. Let me know if you find the magic elixir that is reasonable. I have been glass beading now for a few months on aluminum parts with zero coating issues afterward. I still use Aluminnum Oxide for steel and chromed parts.

Frank, I saw the original Erase post but crapped when I saw the price. Let me know if you find the magic elixir that is reasonable. I have been glass beading now for a few months on aluminum parts with zero coating issues afterward. I still use Aluminnum Oxide for steel and chromed parts.

Good to know. I'm glad I'm wrong because I just bought a bucket of glass bead media.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm using the HF glass bead, mostly because it's reasonable with a 25% coupon. It gives a ready to coat finish. There is a time to throw the stuff out though. It breaks down to a fine dust after a while.
Steve

Yeah...the Erase is pricy, but it works really well and has held up great after repeated usage. I only wish it did a better job at stripping other paints...as it doesn't do much on the baked lacquers found on our bikes. It's not harsh, nor does it evaporate like an Acetone...so until I find something better...

Glass bead results
uruzu6ys.jpg
2y2yqe6e.jpg

Chrome powder from Alsa Corp.
daje9aha.jpg
e5y3eryq.jpg
u9yqy8az.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Pat,

Is that a single stage chrome or do you need to clear it, or is it already cleared?

Thanks,

Frank

Single stage! As easy as all the standard powders.
Purchased in 5 lb jugs. I have had one abnormality. I had a run in the metallic coloration where it got a darker grey instead of the silvery grey. Sanded the spot and resprayed no issue. My observation is that the finish is very close to a "polished" look more so than a chrome finish. So do not expect chrome perfection.
The nature of the beast has one caveat in that a nib of dirt or a flaw in the base metal shows more proudly than an opaque color or flat finish.

Nice...I've shot lots of chrome, but not the single stage...looks good and no need for the clear topcoat that tends to really dim things out...

zetyhydu.jpg

Anyone else interested in chrome powder coated parts? Hit me up.

This help?

Attachments

• Chrome Backrest.jpg
    Chrome Backrest.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 33
Great work Pat and Don.
Has anyone used the high temp powders with success? Like on an exhaust system? I see
it advertised more and more. It'd be nice to PC a set of pipes. I checked the outside of the pipes right at the head and clocked about 470 degrees. I suspect the temp can get a little hotter too. If your flow out is at 400 degrees, I'm skeptical on how it will hold up. An experiment might be the only way to find out. Anyone?
Steve

I'm pretty sure I posted up my 4/2/1 exhaust done in flat black. So far so good but have not had many years of service and I am running rich not lean.
I also have standard powder on can that has not been affected but is probably far from header temps so not the same challenge.
Isn't the powder cost the same? Curing temps only marginally higher. No difference in prep.

zu3u3amu.jpg

Flash didn't seem to help so I used the "no flash" pic. Sorta like the difficulties getting good pictures of chrome without tons of natural ambient lighting.
I hope the owner will post up their take on it. I would never sell it as a chrome substitute. A lot nicer than that factory brushed look and more akin to the warmth of polished, without the upkeep of course!

+1 on the prices? I would want my scoops, sissy bar and 6 pack rack, and carb covers at a minimum. That looks pretty sweet! All my parts are in excellent shape, with just minor clear coat peeling.

For me, at least, pricing is tough without seeing the part in person as everyone has a different definition of "good" and more work than thought may be required to get the excellent finish desired...

Latest posts

Back