Advice needed on suspension replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukasz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, writing from Cam ridge, UK. I need your expertise, please.
I recently bough a 1989 V-max. The bike came with a non-stock front 41mm suspension originally from Yamaha TDM850. I noticed leak on one of the forks so decided to re-build.
It turned out that the inner-side of the external tube has got severe scratches on it and I can't really stop the leak (it's leaking on the outher-end of the seal. On top of that the tubes are corroded so I think I have no choice but to swap the entire suspension. My questions:
1. Should I just get new bits for the TDM850 and re-build (I'm not sure if this suspension is even OK and safe to use on a V-max
2. Should I go back to stock suspension and get all the bits back to the original?
3. Should I go for some other solution? Perhaps a 2nd gen V-max 43mm?

I would really appreciate your input.
Many thanks for your replies.

That's a new one on me, never heard of a TDM front end on a Max.
I can see why it may have bee done as they are the dame diameter as the later Max forks and would fit the OE yokes.
As the TDM is some 40kg lighter than the Max I would hope some spring and damper mods were done. If the PO can confirm this has been done then replacing the stanchion is the easiest.

Next would be to go for the later 43 mm forks fitted post '93.
It might be worthwhile putting a wanted ad here. It would also return it to a more original condition although it would benefit from a spring replacement and some Emulators.

I've not read of Gen II forks being fitted and I suspect that a set in the UK will be like hens teeth.

Back