Advice on bike audio?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I never used to listen to music on the bike, but I really do enjoy tunes on long trips in the car and find it helps time pass quicker(and take my mind off the stock seat). I originally tried riding with just regular earbuds. They almost always fell out when putting my helmet on, and if not then shortly afterward.

Then I tried a pair of the clip-on earbuds, that have a loop over the top of your ear. They stay in place better, but not great. Still fall out sometimes, or get just far enough away from my ear to sound tinny and annoying. I'm big on audiobooks when in the truck, but I can't hear the earbuds well enough to try that yet. On the highway they provide more "background noise" than actual music. I can tell maybe what song is playing, but that's about it.

Then I tried a pair of helmet speakers from MotoComm. They were like $25 or so if I remember. Fitted them into my Alliance SSR lid, in the designated "pockets" off to the side. Horrible. Ultra-tinny sound, worse than the earbuds. They might have been passable for voice comms on a full-faired, quiet bike, but for tunes on a Holeshot equipped Vmax, not even close. Packed up and returned.

Now I want something decent. Scouring around, there isn't a ton out there. The main thing found in searches is the Iausus X-sound2 helmet speakers, which run $40-$50 depending on where you look. Reviews tend to be mixed, some people say they're awesome for the price, others say the quality is poor and they don't always fit depending on the helmet.

Now the "Cadillac" options seems to be the "S Plug", which I found mentioned on a BMW site. It's a super small earbud that actually disappears into your ear canal. Everyone there raved about them as the best solution for on-bike music. Super sound quality, earplug like noise filtering, and zero discomfort. They come in at about $150 for the standard "single driver" model. Not cheap, but not out of the question if they will provide a solid solution to the problem.

Anyone else have experience with any of these products, or others to recommend?

Let me know to I have same issues using Ipods or any mp3 players its a tough bid with a full face helmet

I use in helmet speakers hooked to my iPhone and a radio shack booster all mounted in my tank bag. I could put it in my pocket as well but I don't. Oh and I use earplugs when I ride and can hear it perfectly.

I can't use in ear buds in my helmet.

There was a company out there that made custom ear plugs. As an option they would not only make the ear plug but would also convert them to mini speakers. So almost 100% exterior sound blockage with nice sound. I do have a super high end set of Klipsch earbuds. I think they are the X-10's. Could loan them out to someone if they wanted to try them before you shelled out the big money on them (they are super expensive). I could even get you with the VP which just happens to be a Vmax guy too!

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/headphones/

Holy crap....$350 for earbuds.....!

When I tried the MotoComm helmet speakers, even though they were super-thin, I thought they still made my helmet fit kind weird and on one side I could feel it pressing against the top of my ear.

Garrett.....I had a pair like what you have, I didn't find them comfortable at all and I could barely hear them at highway speeds.

Looking into reviews, the skullcandy buds seem to have kind of mixed reviews about sound quality and fit, while the kicker ones are nothing but raves. The EB101's can be found on ebay for $30 shipped.

comfort? nope. hear them? yea pretty much.. cheap? hell fucking yea! haha.

i'll get nice riding earphones eventually...

I just ordered a set of the Kicker eb101 earbuds, got them for $30 shipped off ebay. I'll let you all know how they work. Thanks for the tip KJ.

I'm also looking at a "iJet" remote control for my ipod touch. I usually keep it in the waterproof pocket of my jacket, and the touchscreen doesn't work with gloves on anyway, so I can't adjust volume or track. It's just a tiny little plug that goes in the data slot of the ipod, and then a remote with nice big buttons I'll velcro to the handlebar clamp.

Great tip KJ, those work great. Comfortable, they don't fall out when I pull my helmet on, and stay in place great. Also block *some* engine/wind noise....I can hear music perfectly clearly with the ipod at maybe 2/3 volume.

So a big thumbs-up to the EB101 for those looking for an affordable solution.

I use shure ear pieces. Isolation is great and fill fit easily. I prefer using my intercom but the sounds sucks for music.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I just ordered a set of the Kicker eb101 earbuds, got them for $30 shipped off ebay. I'll let you all know how they work. Thanks for the tip KJ.

I'm also looking at a "iJet" remote control for my ipod touch. I usually keep it in the waterproof pocket of my jacket, and the touchscreen doesn't work with gloves on anyway, so I can't adjust volume or track. It's just a tiny little plug that goes in the data slot of the ipod, and then a remote with nice big buttons I'll velcro to the handlebar clamp.

Is this the product your talking about Ra?

http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=129864

It says for IPods only.They must make them for the IPhone? I'll keep searching. You like this product? Worth the money?

Good brands of audio to your bike...

Yoshimura
Akrapovic
Supertrapp
Delkevic
Laser
V&H
and so on...

Well I use my Ipod with an amp and the sony over the ear buds
oUx3unL0tvqHrgys2vyThEupv1IEoQR7eUahGT50HGIweA9VvYXd3i1z5RL_1Vz127-ppSV1tDdG4tWvF_rMXtdLc_S-WmBnz25183qfUhuZJ_ac-DQH2W04Ifbcfd_W1AmGUOvHMsBb7UKNz3J_OTC80Us
mine are Black
31WJv7KKX2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
wife bought mine from amazon with the
21UxHqGPu4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
With the connection the amp is clean and when I use amp with Ipod I have notice the Ipod battery life is greater, your not using the small amp from the ipod and the amp has about 9 hours of battery life, trust me if you can not hear what your listening to it is not bescause there is not enough volume your frenkin deaf and nothing will help, with this set up you can make it so loud that a semi next to you can not hear it while on a the max. So while out on the max at 75 mph while wearing half helmet and 1/2 volume I could clearly hear my tunes and bearly hear the wind noise. If I am use a full face 1/3 is more enough volume to kill any wind noises. The amp has 3 setting for tone, added bass boost, nothing added but boosted volume and mid to high boost. It is small and easy to use. I think that it is better that some high end ear buds or some helmet speakers because it gives you the volume that you have been missing, - on Amazon Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier cost about 27.00 and if you buy the amp with the jack - FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock with amp it is about 41.00, I use the amp with high end studio headphones at home and I be damn if I did not get more out of them with the amp pushing the headphones instead of the ipod.

I don't mind a little exterior sound and you should have some anyway. So you can hear potential issues with your bike, emergency vehicals , someone honking to let you know of danger etc.

G

Latest posts

Back