Advice on buying my first Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Hinds

Reaction score
Hey all. I am new to forum. I am just about to buy my first Vmax. Pretty stoked about it. As I am looking around, I am not sure about what mileage limits I should be shooting for. I know for most of you this is probably the highest on the 'newbie' question scale.. I wouldnt know who else to ask though.
I'm looking at one bike for sale. He's got 63k on it. The thing that scaring methought is that it was 'overhauled' at 41k. Not sure what that could mean (waiting for his reply). Any advice guys? Much appreciated.

Curtis

If you weren't so far away i'd say to buy the one I have here at the shop.
$2500 - 1990 w 12k miles

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_164226_446.jpg
    IMG_20140924_164226_446.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 64
Someone on here has an 85 with 130k + I believe with no significant motor work

Clean bike and fair price you have there, Sean

As for overhaul, the motor was probably rebuilt at those miles (a good thing) ask for a receipt

Ask for a test ride. Get on it in 2nd gear, if it pops out of gear, walk away.....normally the fix is higher than just buying another bike. (Unless the bike is SUPER cheap....like less than 1000 dollars.)

Hey guys. This is great advice. I kinda feel instinctively that the 'rebuild' scenario could cost me big time down the road. He's asking for $4k for the bike.

Hey guys another thing is that I'm up here in Toronto canada. I want to pick something up before the snow melts. I won't be absle to take her for a test ride. Is there Nother way to test out the second gear.

Or, I will sell you my 85 w/44k miles that runs excellent and needs nothing- 2nd gear was done by Yamaha at 4k miles by previous owner. this bike has a late 43mm front end, Ufo Street Pro ceramic exhaust, engine guards, Maxgasser seat, Factory sissy bar w/rack, Progressive 412 rear shocks, Progressive fork springs, new HH sintered front and organic rear brakes, tires have approx. 2500 miles on them. Asking $3000, and would help arrange shipping. Pics are in my gallery, not sure how to post them?

ETA- It also has a 4 brush starter upgrade, new battery in 2014, and has factory mini shield. Fires instantly, and runs very well. I even have some extra ear plugs I'll throw in :)

Or, I will sell you my 85 w/44k miles that runs excellent and needs nothing- 2nd gear was done by Yamaha at 4k miles by previous owner. this bike has a late 43mm front end, Ufo Street Pro ceramic exhaust, engine guards, Maxgasser seat, Factory sissy bar w/rack, Progressive 412 rear shocks, Progressive fork springs, new HH sintered front and organic rear brakes, tires have approx. 2500 miles on them. Asking $3000, and would help arrange shipping. Pics are in my gallery, not sure how to post them?

ETA- It also has a 4 brush starter upgrade, new battery in 2014, and has factory mini shield. Fires instantly, and runs very well. I even have some extra ear plugs I'll throw in :)

This sounds like the best deal right here.

Well check into it....see what exchange and shipping will be.....THEN make your decision.

Sean's value is based off of condition, originality, and miles. And if those are your concerns it looks to be a great deal!

If you want to do the mods yourself and really make it your own then that's the way to go.

If you want to save money in the long run then look for something that has most of the mods you'll want. I got one with 4k+ in mods with receipts for 2k. It was an 85 with 50k miles.

It's hard to beat a clean bike owned by a respectable person with low miles for 2k. But I understand that shipping could be a pain and expensive.

Just my two cents!

Didn't see this, I'd honestly buy this only because the 2nd gear alone is over 1k to do and I haven't found miles to be a big deal, especially on older ones

Again, let us know what shipping options you find

Thanks for the off brother. Thing is with the exchange and shipping. I don't know. It could be out of my price range.
One thing that might be a concern for you is the UFO pipes- They are ungodly loud, even with new packing. I actually got them from a guy in Canada who was concerned about the noise level-he put stock pipes back on his. They sound awesome, but are crazy loud, just so you know. I still have my stock exhaust- the mufflers are beautiful, but the head pipes are kinda rough. Also they have been drilled and the centers punched so are much louder than stock. I would put them back on, and drop the price to 2500.

Thanks again guys. The seller of this bike just emailed me to say that he has all of the receipts for the repairs on the overhaul. He says that it was a ring that caused the bike to belch smoke. He had it fixed (overhaul) and since then the bike runs great. Small scratch on tank, a little wear on engine paint near foot etc. The bike also comes with a Corbin seat and a backrest attachment.

Btw can someone also tell me what the deal is with the Corbin seat. Never sat on one, but it looks like it'd be less secure for a rider than a stock seat.

Don't like my corbin. Sits too high, which noticeably raises the center of gravity. Looks..... not as nice as a stock seat. Hard as a brick too.
My stocker has been shaved, so it gets rough to sit on for more than a couple hours without a little break. It really hugs the balls too, but I like it better than the corbin. Definitely don't need to hold on as tight with the stock seat when I open the throttle.

Back