After doing Double D clutch upgrade will not go into neutral when running

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laylavmax

Reaction score
Just did the double D clutch upgrade. I left the half clutch in the back so I'd have some slipping not to break any parts. But it won't go into Nuetral when the bike is running. When the bike is off it goes into N without an issue. Had it apart to check 3 times now and I can't figure it out for the life of me. Please help!!!! The ring between the 2 stock springs and the pressure plate is still installed. Is that my issue? Help???? Thank you

Starting with that "half clutch" is that one of the four parts that you leave out?
1.out is the retaining wire
2.out is the narrow friction disc
3.out is the wave washer
4.out is the thin steel plate
Check and make sure of those parts are out of the mix,
I have done this mod with only great results following those directions.
I also put a rebuild kit in the clutch slave to insure it could push against
the added pressure of the new spring.

With that said, does your bike shift up and down through the gears ok,
can you idle it in gear while holding the clutch in?

Make sure your idle is not above 1000-1050. Faster idle sometimes makes neutral harder to find while sitting still.

I also found this from my old Venture Royale days. Not too sure it applies to a Vmax since I've not needed to find out, but I suspect, due to their similar family lineages, that the shifter workings of the Vmax would be the same as on this Venture service bulletin. :confused2:
View attachment Difficult to find neutral[1].pdf

I haven't messed with the stock springs, but is it possible to have them not correctly lined up with the plates. I know the 1st time I changed my Barnett clutch cover I didn't line it up correctly to where I could get the bolts started that go through where the springs are.. Just a thought, not 100% sure. Also maybe you have an extra plate in there and can not get the clutch fully engaged...

Attached is a Yamaha service bulletin that was put out for 1st gen Ventures regarding difficult to find neutral. Same transmission other than gear ratios.

Gary

Attachments

• Difficult to find neutral.jpg
    Difficult to find neutral.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 28
Back