Aftermarket wheel cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
I have some dymag aluminum wheels that I am cleaning up. I can get them to shine up but there is some discoloration in the aluminum. Any guidance as to how to get these things back to tip top shape being clean? There is no signs of pitting, its just like discoloration on them. I have tried Mothers power ball with aluminum/mag wheel cleaner which has restored the shine, but still some discoloration still.

Thanks in advance!

I have some dymag aluminum wheels that I am cleaning up. I can get them to shine up but there is some discoloration in the aluminum. Any guidance as to how to get these things back to tip top shape being clean? There is no signs of pitting, its just like discoloration on them. I have tried Mothers power ball with aluminum/mag wheel cleaner which has restored the shine, but still some discoloration still.

Thanks in advance!

try soda blasting, no guarantee, but maybe it wil work. you can powdercoat too.:biglaugh:

Thanks in advance!

Im in the process of polishing my kosmans.. are these bolt together or not? Im thinking there not but had to ask.. harbor frieght sells this kit

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piece-aluminum-polishing-kit-98707.html

Buy it and use a die grinder if you dont have air or grinder you can use a drill. Make sure it comeswith brown compound. Follow post #6 but instead of bench grinder you will be using drill or die grinder

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27934&highlight=bling

Should work just becareful if the rims are not clear coated and this stuff has any acid in it it may dull the rim requiring repolishing

How would you tell if its clear coated or not? I have no clue right now since these are second hand wheels

Yes.. more than likely they do not have clear coat.. id call napa and ask about the brightener see if its recommend for bare aluminum or if it has any acid etching in it.. if its doesnt id try that first sounds easier.. if you have time before riding season and want the whole rim to blind do the compound

Go to Napa and ask them for some aluminum wheel brightener. I've heard its excellent at removing stains.

The stuff you get at napa may or may not be as strong as some commercial grade stuff, either way use this with caution. It can be very very good stuff but using it one the wrong surfaces can yield unwanted results.

Back in my yonger years I used commerical grade stuff at a commercial big rig truck wash and it was amazing! Spray on and pressure wash off and you basically have a new wheel, but then get it on the wrong metal surfaces and the acid would take the finish off instantly.

In my exp some of these brightners will leave you with sort of a whiteish kind of look?? Tough to explain but not the same look as good polished aluminum. Jut might want to test in a place not seen. Just my .02.

Eric

The stuff you get at napa may or may not be as strong as some commercial grade stuff, either way use this with caution. It can be very very good stuff but using it one the wrong surfaces can yield unwanted results.

Back in my yonger years I used commerical grade stuff at a commercial big rig truck wash and it was amazing! Spray on and pressure wash off and you basically have a new wheel, but then get it on the wrong metal surfaces and the acid would take the finish off instantly.

In my exp some of these brightners will leave you with sort of a whiteish kind of look?? Tough to explain but not the same look as good polished aluminum. Jut might want to test in a place not seen. Just my .02.

Eric

Good stuff!!:worthy:

Eric,

Thanks for your words of wisdom! With that, I think I am going with the polishing method instead. I called dura gloss and the tech there swayed me away from the aluminum brightner and said to try their metal polish:

http://www.duragloss.com/Metal-Polishes/Metal-Polish/12-oz.---Duragloss-MP-(Metal-Polish)

I might try that and if it doesnt do any better than the mothers....I will get the polishing kit from Harbor Freight for $20 less the typical 20% off coupon always available.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how it goes!

Mike

Eric

Don't do that mate... Those wheels are not aluminium but magnesium. They do not withstand being uncoated very long with out stains or pitting. If you want to maintain the polished look you should pcoat them or apply some clear coat varnish. I say again don't leave those wheels uncoated or you are going to regret it. Common salt eats them away and roads usually have salt to get rid of snow and ice... Do not use any aluminium polishers or chemicals otherwise you are going to contaminate them...

There magnesium???!!!! Id not know that!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

DyMag :biglaugh:

We have a set that has been passed around in the group for at least 15 years. Currently on my old 95 Max my best friend owns. They are the old style and are great wheels. Really light.

From the dymag.com site about their CH3 wheels"

The Classic CH3 Range are the World's original three spoke Magnesium motorcycle wheels as used by Eddie Lawson. These truly classic H-Section wheels are available for all performance retro-bikes and Harley Davidsons. These stylish, highly durable custom motorcycle wheels will put the finishing touch to any custom classic bike project.

I have talked with Mothers and I am planning to use the following two products:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05142.html

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05150.html

This is a metal cleaner for all types of metals so I dont see how it could contaminate the wheel? I know they will have to be polished every so often just like any polished metal. I do not plan to powdercoat or paint them at this time.

The H-Section are the ones I was talking about being passed around for 15 years or so. Aren't the newer ones shaped with curved oval shaped spokes like most sport bike wheels?

Back