Age of Vmax owners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62 Here bought my 85 new still love it bought my 09 brand new really a beast!!! spend more time on the 85 only 950 miles on the 09 hard on my bad hip but still manage to ride it enough to keep it perfect!

61, third season on an 89. Rode an 81 xt 500 since 82, still ride it once in awhile, like last Friday 35 miles of dirt woods road : )

Bought my Max new in 2000, I am 51 now. Thought of selling it once years ago but quickly came to my senses. Now I wouldn't ever consider selling it. Hoping to add a gen 2 to the stable sooner than later.

I'm 57 and I've been riding since I was 8 years old, I've had a yamaha 1100 an a Seca 600 also a Honda 50 and a cx500 and know I ride my 89 vmax1200.

I don’t really remember when I didn’t ride some kind of motorized 2 wheeler had a few maxes 2005 2010 Kinda fell off the wagon for a bit and traded the 2010 for a 2013 fat bob
Cool bike and all I would say best handling bike Harley makes but the shine wore off and max called my name once again and a 2014 is my ride I don’t collect bikes I ride 1 and keep 1
Im still full of piss and vinegar steel spine and a stiff rod the max does it for me
In my opinion it is one of the most well thought out and prettiest pieces of engineering you can haul your legs over always gives me a little chubby and a big smile. So there

Cheers
Peter

I am 23 and I just picked up my 2001 with 43k miles about a month ago. I also currently own a Honda NC700x DCT. I previously owned a CBR600rr but sold that and eventually got the Max. I will say I love the bike. Its really amazing and I don't see myself selling the bike ever. It has some slight running issues but nothing major so far considering what I got it for.
Also "just' found this forum a few days ago.. tons of knowledge on here!

I was 22 when I got my first gen Vmax. I had 3 other bikes prior to the Vmax. I started riding at 8 years old on a Honda cr60 then moved up to 125, 250, 450 and the xr650r in 2000 then had 2 zx14’s 08 and 12 then got the second gen Vmax in 2017. I love the bike but hate the high rpm on the highway at 75mph.

I
I was 22 when I got my first gen Vmax. I had 3 other bikes prior to the Vmax. I started riding at 8 years old on a Honda cr60 then moved up to 125, 250, 450 and the xr650r in 2000 then had 2 zx14’s 08 and 12 then got the second gen Vmax in 2017. I love the bike but hate the high rpm on the highway at 75mph.
i don’t really mind the rpm issue I’m usually spooling around at a higher rpm when I’m riding any way I find it great for making power kick down one and hit it and the party starts
I’m not much of a group rider not because I don’t like people I find it very restrictive
As for the overall gen2 has got it in spades it delivers I will be flashing it in the winter like the last one open air box stock exhaust and the cat I don’t see a lot of point in going further I’m a big fan of the stock sound and I find the flash is the best bang for the buck save the rest for gas
The difference between 1 and 2 is like being kicked by a rabbit or getting kicked by a donkey
I find the handling stunning I find it very responsive it likes to wrestle and you best be ready I feel very connected to it ,it’s weird never felt that with any vehicle I’ve ever owned
It is truly a cool ass bike luv it luv it luv it
Cheers
Peter

I'm in the 70+ and retired and enjoying it.First bike a 250cc,NSU. Have owned a 85,96,2000 Tour Master and 2002.Wrote several articles on long distant touring on my 2002 Vmax for the VBOOST mag when Steve produced it. I personally miss reading it every month.Gave Tour Master to my son when I started getting to far into my corners on my Beautiful B.C. roads around Coldstream, B.C.Still have my 85 as its the Clymer Repair manual bike.Blue printed by Jordan Engineering and dyno'd 129.4 HP after just 2 dyno run's back in the 80's. Fun to ride. Anybody got a quite muffler to replace my loud 2.5 in Kerker that won't effect stage 7 carbs. Cheers from Beautiful,Coldstream, B.C., CANADA. MAXGZ-3376.

I'm 62 and live in DAytona Beach. Back in 86 my friend let me ride his max and I knew then it was the ultimate machine. Last year I got the chance to by a toy and I picked up a blue 86. What a machine then and now.

Got my Vmax when I was 38... still have it...I"m 66 now... Everytime I think I"m going to sell it I take it out for a cruise, and the acceleration puts a huge smile on my face...Suzuki was to small to haul me and my lady around at 80mph.... I love dusting my friends and their harley's...

67 and on my third VMAX was #1 in Sweden on my 86 ordered it 3 months before they came here and after 6 years and 140000km I had another bike, next VMAX was a 98 wich I had for some years and trade it in for a 2010 new VMAX and still ride it and love it :)

60 years old here. 2007 Gen 1 with 1420 overbore, stage six carburettor set up and Kerker race pipe. Biggest grin factor inducing bike since my first Yamaha FS1E back in 1976 :)

I will be 80 in three weeks so maybe I'll set a record here. I've been riding on motorized two wheels since I was 14. Anyone remember Whizzer motorbikes? Then went to a little dirtbike, then to old Harleys with foot clutches and side shift. Next was a Zundapp KS601 - an opposed twin with shaft drive very much like a BMW. Tough bike! Then an 883 Sportster, which was sold to raise a family. Next was a little Honda 175 twin, then a couple of Honda CB350s. Much later I found a good deal on an '83 Yamaha XJ 750 Seca which I often rode to work - a 120 mile round trip until we moved closer. Sold the Seca and about the time I was missing a bike, a neighbor asked if I would be interested in an '86 Vmax which he had dropped on I-75. I jumped at it for $500! It had mainly just cosmetic damage and didn't take long to have it back in riding condition. I had read about them, but wasn't ready for the acceleration when I first cranked it on full throttle. Wow! I was hooked. Then I saw a 2005 20th anniversary Vmax for sale with deep red "ghost" paint and less than 8,000 miles, so I had to have it too. Didn't get to ride it much tho and the carburetors got plugged up from setting too long with the damn ethanol gas. Still working on them, which is the worst feature of the vmaxes!

Forgot to mention that being 80 doesn't come without penalties. The Max is just too heavy for me now. I dropped it at a gas station not long ago and had to have help picking it up. I can't put it on the center stand any more. I only have one good eye now and bad hearing, so I guess it's about time to give it up. Maybe get a smaller bike to ride around on the back roads here. Traffic on the main roads is getting to be more hazardous now anyway.

Last edited:
60 in a few months. Have owned 5 Vmax’s and still have two, along with a Venture. One Max is a stretched 1428 and the other is my daily driver with 158,000 kilometres (98,000 miles). Have owed FZ’s, FJ’s, Katana, ZX11, Hayabusa’s but have always owned a Vmax since 1985.

Maybe I have you all beat! I'm 78 and ride a few thousand miles a year on my 2009 Vmax. Previous bikes were a WWII Army surplus Harley 45, Wizzer Sportsman, HD 125cc 2-cycle Hummer, Matchless 500 twin, 450cc 4-cyl Honda, Z1 Kaw 903, 750 Honda V4 Saber, 125 Suzuki motorcross, 450WR Husqvarna Desert Master and a 1988 V-Max. The best all round, by far, is the 2009 Vmax although the 1988 V-Max had a great personality, like a Pontiac GTO or a F-14 Tomcat.

Back