Age of Vmax owners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55....picked up my first VMAX two weeks ago (2014)....have a Honda Fury and DR650 as well for different kinds of riding. I’ve ridden and/or owned several other fast bikes including GPZs, Hayabusa, B-King, and others....but there’s something intriguing about the power, acceleration, look, and sound of the VMAX that separates it from the others :)

I'm 51, have an 88 VMax. Also have a 1980 XS Eleven Venturer. Previous bikes include two Maxim 400's, a Maxim 650, Radian 600 and a Susuki Boulevard S50. Never liked the Boulevard, too much backwards lean. I prefer to sit up and ride.

I'm 61 young... :) I ordered my First Max in 2004. I have had two others since. The present is a 2005 Anniversary edition I bought used from a bankrupt dealership in GA in 2010. Carbs were gummed up and Left fork started to leak. So I had some work to do; but l Love it. Its like owning a hot 57 Chevy. Nothing like the torque and change the rear wheel to a 17" rim and it becomes a handler. A sweet sleeper to the infamous VROD, HA! SeeeYa......

I have had a few. Started to ride in 73. The first was a CB350, bored it to 385, Webco cam. A Kaw S2 350 with chambers; 2 CB 750s. K1 & K2 I still have. An XR250R, XL200 and a CT110 for the exwife. My favorite travel bike was my 2006 FJR, that was taken from me. :-(

An old friend who had a 2003 Max I went to several VMOA events with, once said to me that it is a luxury to have a motorcycle and particularly a VMAX. No it is a way of life to some of us isn't guys!!!

Last edited:
I'm 61 young... :) I ordered my First Max in 2004. I have had two others since. The present is a 2005 Anniversary edition I bought used from a bankrupt dealership in GA in 2010. Carbs were gummed up and Left fork started to leak. So I had some work to do; but l Love it. Its like owning a hot 57 Chevy. Nothing like the torque and change the rear wheel to a 17" rim and it becomes a handler. A sweet sleeper to the infamous VROD, HA! SeeeYa......

I have had a few. Started to ride in 73. The first was a CB350, bored it to 385, Webco cam. A Kaw S2 350 with chambers; 2 CB 750s. K1 & K2 I still have. An XR250R, XL200 and a CT110 for the exwife. My favorite travel bike was my 2006 FJR, that was taken from me. :-(

An old friend who had a 2003 Max I went to several VMOA events with, once said to me that it is a luxury to have a motorcycle and particularly a VMAX. No it is a way of life to some of us isn't guys!!!
Yes sir, I am a motaur! <Progressive commercial.>

I'm 63 years young. Been riding since age 13. Ridden all kinds of bikes over the years. Always "lusted" after the max, never made the jump until age 60. After my wife died of cancer I found myself kinda dying inside. I knew I had to do something to wake myself up. I'm retired Army and have always been an adrenaline junkie. My Harley and Valkyrie weren't enough. I needed something more. Bought a low miles 2006 VMax. Boy did that get the blood valves pumping. Within 2 weeks I was putting Corvettes and Mustangs to sleep. I hardly ride the Harley and occasionally take the Valk on long trips.They look sad in the garage corner all lonely. Lol.
Decided to take the next step and recently bought a 2012 Gen 2 Max. All I can say is, "Holy Crap!" I know my wife is looking down smiling and shaking her head. If one of my Max's kill me, it'll be with a smile on my face. I'm hooked on both. My Gen 1 is the bronking buck refusing to be settled while the Gen 2 is the thorobred race horse. Both mean as hell. Loving it and alive in Tennessee.

Monarch Pass.Been there on the VMax and many other bikes, but will always remember skiing there in snow above my knees!

I'm 63 years young. Been riding since age 13. Ridden all kinds of bikes over the years. Always "lusted" after the max, never made the jump until age 60. After my wife died of cancer I found myself kinda dying inside. I knew I had to do something to wake myself up. I'm retired Army and have always been an adrenaline junkie. My Harley and Valkyrie weren't enough. I needed something more. Bought a low miles 2006 VMax. Boy did that get the blood valves pumping. Within 2 weeks I was putting Corvettes and Mustangs to sleep. I hardly ride the Harley and occasionally take the Valk on long trips.They look sad in the garage corner all lonely. Lol.
Decided to take the next step and recently bought a 2012 Gen 2 Max. All I can say is, "Holy Crap!" I know my wife is looking down smiling and shaking her head. If one of my Max's kill me, it'll be with a smile on my face. I'm hooked on both. My Gen 1 is the bronking buck refusing to be settled while the Gen 2 is the thoroughbred race horse. Both mean as hell. Loving it and alive in Tennessee.
My brother from a different mother! Have the first year Valkyrie with 72 thousand on it. and 2013 Road King. I'm 67 and bought my 85 VMax new.

I'll be 61 this November. I have the last year Gen 1 Vmax (2007). Over bored to 1420 cc with stage 6 carburation and Kerker race pipe. Blindingly fast in a straight line but handles like a soapy dick in a bathtub. Nothing ever gets past it though. The rush is indescribable !!

50 here, just got my first Vmax. First gen 2006. Been riding since 7 yrs old. Never had a cruiser before. So far, i like it. Vmax was kind of my dream bike, mostly because i'm an engine guy. Wanted a V4 with lots of power.

My son grew up.

Then I quit drinking 10 years ago.

Finally I had the energy, passion, and the time.

I fixed up my XS750 that I had been riding only a few times a year.

Then a new bike project appeared in the stable every year around Thanksgiving when folks realize they will never get around to fixing "that ol' thing."

My wife knew my end game was the Vmax. I had been looking for a long time, particularly for an older model to compliment my collection. She encouraged me to jump on it when it appeared......a 1986 with only 5k miles.

That was last November. Now I have it completely sorted, and I'm 59 and livin' the dream! Next week it will see the Dragon, Cherohala, and Moonshiner 28.

I'm sure I'll run into some of you (figuratively) at rallies and gatherings after I retire in a few years.

Old bikes are a great hobby...wrenching, learning, and riding.

im 62 have 2016 vmax i bought new end of october 2016 bought new computer then had the nash flash for stock computer rev 2 and kept stock computer i recommend getting nash flash bike runs great i only have about 2800 miles on max i love my max also check into getting a digi sync.com to sync throttle body's digitally it's easy and works great

I am 48 and got my Vmax 2 years ago. I have owned half a dozen bikes in my life. I was looking for a cruiser to be my 1st custom and was leaning towards a softail custom.( I think I was influenced by my Harley friends.) Once I hopped on the Vmax I had to laugh. There was no comparison. Now I'm a firm believer that the v twin is just half a motor.

62 Bought my 85 brand new still have it and love it! Bought my 09 new don’t ride it a lot but love it it’s a beast just a little hard on my hip.

Back