aim small, miss small

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
Yes, I borrowed that line from American sniper.

A coon has been getting my chickens. We usually lock them in at night, but they do get forgotten about from time to time. Saw the bandit dragging one up a tree.

Last night momma spotted her on the back porch eating our mouser cat's food. Bad move.
Grabbed my 22 rifle. Bb gun scope on it. Boresight aimed.

Came around the house and it sat up to get a look at me. Put the crosshairs at the center of its nose and let one fly. Cci mini-mag hollow points.

Instant convulsions. I ran and grabbed it by the tail and yanked it off the porch immediately so I wouldn't have a mess to clean. Upon examination, I could NOT find a wound. Not a drop of blood anywhere. Opened the mouth and no damage. Scull was solid and not damaged. Eyes perfect.

What the hell happened? I searched the entire coon. No wound. I know I didn't scare it to death. Should have felt or seen something if the bullet deflected off its head. Any input?
In the end, it doesn't matter. It is dead beyond a doubt. I took it in the garage and looked it over for quite a while. Even recorded the exam on my phone. I did not open the animal to dig deeper.

So..... what happened?

Attachments

• 20150528_221613.jpg
    20150528_221613.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150528_221527.jpg
    20150528_221527.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 52
Yes, I borrowed that line from American sniper.

A coon has been getting my chickens. We usually lock them in at night, but they do get forgotten about from time to time. Saw the bandit dragging one up a tree.

Last night momma spotted her on the back porch eating our mouser cat's food. Bad move.
Grabbed my 22 rifle. Bb gun scope on it. Boresight aimed.

Came around the house and it sat up to get a look at me. Put the crosshairs at the center of its nose and let one fly. Cci mini-mag hollow points.

Instant convulsions. I ran and grabbed it by the tail and yanked it off the porch immediately so I wouldn't have a mess to clean. Upon examination, I could NOT find a wound. Not a drop of blood anywhere. Opened the mouth and no damage. Scull was solid and not damaged. Eyes perfect.

What the hell happened? I searched the entire coon. No wound. I know I didn't scare it to death. Should have felt or seen something if the bullet deflected off its head. Any input?
In the end, it doesn't matter. It is dead beyond a doubt. I took it in the garage and looked it over for quite a while. Even recorded the exam on my phone. I did not open the animal to dig deeper.

So..... what happened?

Obvious.......that coon is playing possum. :biglaugh:

Makes a hell of a hood ornament. Generally hollows (even .22) make a really nasty exit on small game. The fact there is no discernable mark or blood is just crazy. I guess it may have entered, hit a bone and bounced around inside. It is possible an entry wound from a .22 would be real hard to find and any blood could easily be absorbed in the skin and hair.

Only one way to find out. Get out your dissecting tool and start cutting. The nostril is an interesting possibility but I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't have some blood dripping out.

Fucker went out in the trash this morning. I thought about both the nostril and the eye. I am leaning towards the eye theory. Bullet entered the eye socket at just the right angle displacing the eyeball. Spins around the skull playing cake mixer. Meanwhile, the eyeball moves back where it belongs blocking any escape of blood and brain matter.

No matter what, a one in a million shot. I can't imagine it penetrating the tissue of the nose or nostrils without leakage.

Really weird.

Why'd you toss'em?! Should made a Daniel Boon cap to wear at Thunder through the quarter!

Naw... only one kinda tail gets on my Max... OR a 12 of Export.

What a great hat you got there... Heart attack. It doesn't only happens to humans... LOL

I have enough on my plate. Don't need to be tanning and sewing coon hides right now. A honey do list that I can't catch up with (pintrest is the devil), still working slowly on my kx500 rebuild, and my max now needs a new rear tire. Found a slit in the sidewall about 2" long...not sure how that happened. Not leaking, but I am not risking it. The tire should arrive monday.

Aimed for the nose and hit the eye. I guess that's a small miss. Maybe use the 12 gauge with a slug next time. Should have no trouble finding that wound.
:BoomSmilie_anim:

Back