Air Box Fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morty76

Reaction score
I have a 05 max and I am getting a fuel smell and some brownish liquid in the airbox and filter. smells like old gas, but doesn't have the flammability I would expect from gas. #1 carb seems like it is popping a little and I seem like I have performance issues and popping noises until about 3-4k rpm. I have completed the shotgun carb cleaning and run several additives in the fuel. Ideas please? :ummm:

Sounds like it needs a complete carb cleaning.
I don't think you got the paj in the jetblocks cleared.

How much fuel in the airbox? A small amount is normal, because when you really get on it, you will notice a mist of fuel come out of the carbs. It could be due to that. So goose the carbs without the airbox lid on, and you should see that.

Is your oil overfilled? Should be approx 1/2 way up the glass. Much over that and it can develop snot in the box for lack of a better word.

During combustion some of the resultant gas's will blow-by the piston rings.
As this is considered undesirable its routed up into the air cleaner to be fed into the carbs and burnt.
Some of this can condense out and collect in the air box.

Additionally, if you do a lot of short runs (particularly if the choke is left on) then some of the excess fuel will wash down into the crankcase which may explain the fuel smell.
Once the motor is up to operating temperature then this will vaporise out.

As Sean has implied this can also be due to the oil level being too high.

Oil level is good. Half way and comes on as it should when really getting on it. I seem to clean out the air box every week or two. Enough liquid to fill maybe a table spoon. I will look into the carb cleaning, but starting at 400.00 in my area. thanks for the replies.

here are some pictures that
I took to help with the description. not sure if the pics upload will work. I am at work now.

Damn Sean,, That's nasty dood.. LOL!!! but you're right..

Pics didnt load. You might try the "Go advanced", and then manage attachments, and see if that helps.

can anyone help out with the upload. I am selecting the pics and then upload. Don't see them. What am I doing wrong? thanks

Ok.....thats fine. You will see my email address in my signature, and I will upload them.

Here are the pics. Lets see how this goes.

Finally got everything done. Here at work, we share 512.....yep just like the old days.

EDIT**** Just found the sound that I was looking for to go with this internet speed.

Attachments

• 20160308_150349.jpg
    20160308_150349.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160308_150418.jpg
    20160308_150418.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160308_150422.jpg
    20160308_150422.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 16475__jlew__dialup.mp3
    432.1 KB · Views: 1
My guess would condensation. Looks a lot like what I would wipe out of a valve cover from pass on the dragster.

Latest posts

Back