Air Box Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to order one from Sean as they look very nice, but I'm riding this weekend and was in the middle of servicing the K&N so I took a shot making at my own.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 70
Got in some great riding today, can definitely feel a difference with some more air!

Hi all! I have a 2017 all stock for now and was in the middle of performing the air box mod and stopped. My hesitation is due to thinking the bike might get to much air rammed into the bike and forcing it to possibly run lean. Any thoughts on this or reassurance that the bike will run fine with “no issues”!

Is that retainer meant to be used, if you leave panel cover off completely or is it possible/needed to use with cover too?

The retainer takes place of the rear cover. I have them in stainless and I think I have a few of the blue filters still on hand.

Attachments

• Gen 2 Filter Bracket - Blue Filter.jpg
    Gen 2 Filter Bracket - Blue Filter.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Gen 2 Filter Bracket - KN Filter.jpg
    Gen 2 Filter Bracket - KN Filter.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi all! I have a 2017 all stock for now and was in the middle of performing the air box mod and stopped. My hesitation is due to thinking the bike might get to much air rammed into the bike and forcing it to possibly run lean. Any thoughts on this or reassurance that the bike will run fine with “no issues”!

No issues.

Get your ECU re-flashed and you'll take advantage of that extra air.....and see many other improvements.

Sean I have a question. If you either drill the holes in the cover or choose not to put the cover on don't you take away the whole ram air feature. The air will come in the front and go right past the filter. Please educate me on this. Thanks

Do you have to remove the entire box or does it come apart in the middle? Can you just remove the top part to do the mod, remove the panel. Also did you notice a big difference in performance. I had the gen 1's many years ago but this is my first gen 2 and I love it. It's a beast. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. What is the advantage of using the retainer vs the rear cover? Could I just cut out the flow limiting part of the air box, put in a K&N filter and pop the rear cover back on for the "modified air box" effect?

Also thirsting for knowledge. Cheers.

You could simply cut out the back of the airbox or drill holes in it too. OR, the retainer would let you go back without having to buy another back of the airbox

Latest posts

Back