Air box top foam ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhuram

Reaction score
Heya. Is the foam on the top of the air box necessary? Mines ancient and flaking apart all over the place. I’m taking it out.

Recommendations on what to replace it with or are most leaving it off? There’s an air filter under it. Seems potentially unnecessary.
6A40F3B4-2B18-4AD9-81FC-F348772D8862.jpeg069DE5DB-F171-491E-8402-3CDC19967E3D.jpeg

thats not supposed to be there. I guess it keeps birds from getting in.A9363C36-2721-44E7-B424-A0F5E7300D6C.png

No problem. previous owners leave some of the best gifts.

nope. air filter drain hole.

The last ime a saw modifications like those was in sw. florida. Bugs particularly mud wasps would make a home anywhere they could get in so screen was commonly used to block off points of ingres.

If you live in a particularly Buggy area it may be a considera.

Last edited:
No bugs. NE Illinois. It’s a frozen tundra right now.

Will be good to get that junk out altogether. I think it was disintegrating and getting pulled into carbs.
Thx again.

only if it was getting thru the filter. i feel for you about the weather compared to your area i live in a temperate zone.

There is supposed to be the small gauze type filter in the drain hole.

I wonder why they needed a filter there but not on the top?

The opening on top seals around the filter so all air going in is filtered from that direction. The small nipple drain at the front would be un filtered air if not for the small filter there. The rest nipple goes into the PCV so also sealed from the outside air.

On both of mine the pcv hooks up to the enclosed plenum at the rear of the airbox and gets drawn into the velocity stacks via a plastic t on both sides.(plenum and t's are missing in pic.) The drain nipple goes in the front hole with nothing hooked up on the underside of the airbox, although it looks like a small drain hose should go there. B045CC10-9293-4CEB-BB6F-1B7E522FD29F.jpegThe little round filter is more like a bushing for the filter to airbox. On the kn both the intake air and the drain hole are both in the same inner part of the filter where the unfiltered air is. at least thats how they were in the bikes before i took them off.

Latest posts

Back