Air Correctors,,,, The Evil Spirit is Dead...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
As most of you know, I've been locked in a seemingly endless battle with the Evil Spirit of my 89 VMax. PATMAX, allisontech, CaptainKyle, Conea01 and a few of the Ladies were present when we cut SkullDuggery's Evil Heart Out... Air Correctors,,,,, I've been asking about them for some time. Actually, I didn't know what they were but I knew they just didn't look right being in 3 carbs. Something was wrong with that picture.

CaptainKyle had a revelation just when we were getting down to business. Out of the blue, he said; "Air Correctors. I bet that's what you asked me a question about way back".. Sure enough, 3 of them.. We all scrounged around trying to figure out a way to get them out. We took the tip off of a tap but it didn't get the job done. We finally found the perfect screw. Allisontech assisted with a pair of diagonals. I turned the screw in and using a piece of metal for leverage, he pried them out with the cutters grabbing the screw threads.

Picture of the last Corrector removed and still on the screw is below. Somehow, the screw and last corrector got carried home in the fuel filler neck tray of my bike. Guess it just couldn't give it up. Kyle,,, I have the tool that you need to hang on to forever....

PATMAX had brought his CARBTUNE so Earl (Conea01) and I sync'd the carbs.

I test rode the bike and it ran but just didn't feel right... When I got back, I convinced CaptainKyle that Flip Flops weren't appropriate riding attire. He put some tennis shoes on, told me to get over his wearing shorts and took the bike out. That sparked a debate that my VBoost wasn't kicking in but the bike ran alright... I swapped 2 plugs but didn't really want to waste new plugs until I could do some meaningful readings.. I thought the one plug was just dark and would clear up in another cylinder.. NOT... The bike ran ok, if it were an old XS-11 but it was a slug for a VMax...

This morning, I pulled the plugs, 3 were very nice, tan. The one plug was still black. I thought for sure it would be cleared up. It was fouled all day long when we were working on the bike.. New plugs went back in after I checked the gap and put some Never Seize on the threads...

Rather than waste a ride, I re-sync'd the carbs at 3,000 RPM. Took the bike out the back way, did a rolling start from about 5 mph in first gear. Holy Crap, Big Balls.. Jacked the rear end up, Pulled the front wheel a little off the ground and squawked the rear tire pretty good too... That's What I'm Talkin About... This Max is back, in this once derelict, ready for the boneyard 89..... :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanx to all who helped make this possible...

Now if it still runs like this tomorrow,, I'll be happy... Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead...:biglaugh::rofl_200:

Attachments

• Screw the Air Corrector.jpg
    Screw the Air Corrector.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 80
OMG, Love your Pictures Brother Redbone...:clapping:

I may yet shoot this bike to put me out of it's misery but atleast it co operated for once...:biglaugh: Tomorrow may be a different story...:confused2:

Yeah our friend Redbone has always some good avatar pics.
Most of the time I don't check the name, but I know it's him just by looking at the avatar hahaha

OMG, Love your Pictures Brother Redbone...:clapping:

I may yet shoot this bike to put me out of it's misery but atleast it co operated for once...:biglaugh: Tomorrow may be a different story...:confused2:

"I love it when a plan comes together", "But now the expected tire life of the rear has dropped considerably!":biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Bill

Most everyone here has fed me the ammunition to continue the fight against this obstinate bike. So the real thanks goes to all of you. I just don't know what I'll do with all my time if this VMax has finally come together. Guess I'll have to ride. :biglaugh:

I never really thought about an E-Bay bailout. Atleast not as a whole bike. I did think about parting the thing out though. Now maybe I can pick up a few more parts from some of our vendors and have a nice bike. If that works out, I'm gonna ride the crap out of this one, get some payback for all the effort and expense...:rofl_200: I have roughly 375 hours and a total of $3,200 in it right now. A lot of hours but not really a lot of money.

Most everyone here has fed me the ammunition to continue the fight against this obstinate bike. So the real thanks goes to all of you. I just don't know what I'll do with all my time if this VMax has finally come together. Guess I'll have to ride. :biglaugh:

I never really thought about an E-Bay bailout. Atleast not as a whole bike. I did think about parting the thing out though. Now maybe I can pick up a few more parts from some of our vendors and have a nice bike. If that works out, I'm gonna ride the crap out of this one, get some payback for all the effort and expense...:rofl_200: I have roughly 375 hours and a total of $3,200 in it right now. A lot of hours but not really a lot of money.

Haha, she was just "testing' you Dave.....making sure you would be a worthy owner!! :biglaugh::worthy:

Now everything's all settled, she knows who she's dealing with.....you guys will spend many happy miles together! :clapping:

You got the gift of writing the best posts Grumpy! You know some girls like it rough and want to be dominated. You imposed your will over this obstinate gal and now have an "understanding". Bill's got a good point, better get them wheels with the new rubber from Captain. If we we're closer, I'd let you try out my forward controls as they along with bar risers really get the big man stretched out nicely. Riding Richwrench's old steed had me looking for the footpegs since it's been so long since I rode the factory set up. Anyhooo, keep us updated and I am glad to be there for the exorcism.

Well, the old Wenche hasn't totally submitted yet. I rode to Captain's house today. Thought I could offer my assistance, pulling a few parts off the wrecked 86 he's bought back. As I pulled onto the road that leads to his house, this bike that had run perfectly to that point tried to foul a new plug after only 30 miles.... :bang head: I ripped the throttle and got it to clear...

Guess the Old Bitch needs some more training....:rofl_200:

I'm getting a Bigger Whip and a heavier hand on the throttle too.....:clapping:

The 4th air corrector hasn't been there since I bought the bike. I've thought the same thing now that I've found out what they are and pulled the 3 out..:bang head: The last PO was kinda not mechanically capable, at all. So I know he didn't do anything but ride the bike.. Probably little of that too.:confused2:

Latest posts

Back