Air horn hookup & switched circuit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions.

I finally mounted my Wolo Bad Boy air horn. I tried to run jumpers from the stock horn to the Wolo, but there just isn't enough juice to make it work.
The ground side is switched for the stock horn which in my opinion is unusual.

I need a switched circuit to tie into for the hot feed. Any suggestions?

Also, would you keep it switched on the ground side, or switch the hot for the second horn? I can use the switched ground for the relay control circuit, so I can connect the Wolo either way.

Thanks in advance!

For my dual Freewayblaster electric horns, I used a separate fused wire directly wired to the positive terminal of the battery, to a relay, then to the horns. Each horn has it's own ground. The relay is triggered from the stock horn button wiring. I also wired the stock horn to the relay. The bike sounds like a bloody freight train.
I don't know about the Wolo, but these three horns draw a lot of amps. Best to use a relay to protect your wiring and horn button.
Cheers!

Add a fused relay powered from battery directly just to be safe and more efficient.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

After hooking up the relay you should pull the bike out of the garage before hitting the horn the first time. Its a bit loud when enclosed, have fun with it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got it all wired up and it's nice and loud. It sounds louder than the Stebel on my M109R because it's out in the open, not inside a headlight cowl.

When I pulled the right scoop to run the hot lead I found that the previous owner had used a wire nut to connect the V-Boost switch. I removed that and soldered the connections. Now it cycles louder and faster than it did. I also found a valve cover leak that I'll have to do something about. But all is well for now!

Back