Air Leak? Inlet Manifold

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newride88

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been going over the Max recently, trying to get it running right...
It was running great a few weeks ago after doing the shotgun, then a week later decided it didn't want to play, so checked all electric connections, coils etc and all good. I have a decent idle now BUT the revs are slow to return which I put down to a vacuum leak....
So, I pulled the carries off and found the rubber boots cracked as expected, put new ones on and still had the same issue....
So, now I've ripped the carbs back off and the inlet manifold (figured I'd replace the O-rings too) to rule them out of the equation.
When I pulled the inlet manifold off, a fair amount of oil ran out and I've noticed that where the manifold bolts to the head, No.1 cyl and No.4 cyl have some sort of gunk on them whereas 2 and 3 are extremely clean.
Can anyone explain to me what would possibly cause it? and is it an issue? My thoughts were a gasket goo, though doesn't scratch off.
Thanks, sorry it's a long blurb.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 32
That's completely normal as the inboard bolts on #2 and #3 cylinders will have oil come out as they're blind holes. You will need to clean it up and then use a high RTV sealant. Those two bolts are shorter than the others.

You can try compressed air or WD-40 around the boots, manifolds, airbox boots. Did you replace the 8 manifold boots and air box boots? Try inspecting the manifolds for cracks.

A hanging idle can be cause by a carburation problem too.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark, I had sprayed WD-40 around the base of the carbs and the revs had a definite increase. I've only replaced the boots at the base of the carbs at this stage though will be looking further at the other boots and manifold tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Dean

Hanging idle can also be caused by carbs out of sync.

Back