Air tube removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasncab

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This might seem simple, but it has me stumped. I have a clymer, and have looked online. I cannot see to figure out how the '85 front fork air tube is to be removed.

Trying to get the forks out, but the air tube that runs between the forks is stopping me.

Does it just slide off? Any tips to get it to come off without hurting something? I assume I need it back on since there is a hole at the top of the tube. Any mods there?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2018-04-16 04.20.15.jpg
    2018-04-16 04.20.15.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
Yes, it slides off.

If the crossover unit doesn't leak, there is no reason to eliminate it. Its purpose is to balance the air pressure between the forks.

If desired, it can be eliminated and the small holes can be sealed with JB weld or similar.

If you want to remove it, it can slide off all in one piece. I always disconnect the crossover tube first and found that was easier. The resistance to sliding it is from the o-rings inside. Some cleaning and WD-40 on the tubes works well. A rubber hammer is useful to get all moving.

Thank you both. ok Ill remove the crossover tube. I was worried about bending it. I would like to leave it on as stock, but let's see what I see when it is off :)

When I parted an 85 I ended up using a small brass drift and nylon mallet, and gently tapping upward on each collar at different clock positions so it didnt bind. Once it budged I was able to wiggle the collars and tube off as one piece, I cant recall if you can slide it off like that with the bike together but that should at least get the collars to pop loose. Going on memory here but IIRC there is a thin snap ring under each collar keeping them from going downward.

On my 99 I went to Progressive fork springs, besides vastly improved ride and handling it no longer needs any air in the forks. Kinda nice, just sayin':clapping:

If it doesn't want to move up and off, try moving it down just a little to get some light amount of lube to then slide it up and off. This is what I needed to do with my '92 and of course I had to replace the O-rings.

Thanks everyone. I did get it out. Removal of the connecting tube isn't possible while they are on the bike. The tube is too long and turning it would bend it.

Cannot go down more than a mm since the collar is there (spring IN the inner tube).

Finally just gently pounded them up using a soft-head mallet and all was good. Cleaned up and ready to go. Seals are actually intact and ok. Ill keep an eye, but time will tell and it is an easy replacement if not.

Thanks again!

Back