Airbox cover-- To install or not to install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCar

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys run your max without the airbox cover and if you see any or no difference in the way it runs. I bought my 93 a few weeks ago and the airbox cover was not installed. Is it a big deal or not. Thanks (pic below)

Attachments

• vmaxairtube.jpg
    vmaxairtube.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
I believe that is referred to as th "Y" of the air box itself. Some people shim it up a bit with washers trying to get more air flow, but I have never heard of anyone completely removing it. CV carbs don't function properly without it. Just my .02 cents

I've heard reports go both ways on the "Y". Some guys remove it and the bike runs like crap. Some remove it and feel the bike runs better. Experiment for yourself. You won't hurt anything. Put it on and try it out.

It'll make more intake noise but at the very best you might gain about 1 Horsepower. Better chance it'll run lean.... Shimming could help a slightly rich condition..

Mine ran better with the "y" off but that was because PO uninstalled all of stage 7 except the air correctors. Before then had no idea...thought that the main air jets were stock.

It is rumored my bike has the stage 7 kit to go along with my two brothers pipe. I will put it back on for now and see what happens.

I tried it both ways and on the dyno the a/f readind was all over the place with the Y off, and it straight lines with the Y on and shimmed with 3 washers

Do you shim each screw that holds it down or every other one? Or maybe shim it in certain spots?

I will try it both ways(Shimmed and not shimmed I mean)LOL. I have it on now and not shimmed and believe it or not it did help my idle stay A little more stable.

I got rid of mine altogether and rejetted, the bike ran (and sounded) much better
then I cut out a bit more from the airbox lid and installed air correctors, there's no going back now

The last time I had it on a dyno it showed a perfect AF ratio all the way up

I believe that is referred to as th "Y" of the air box itself. Some people shim it up a bit with washers trying to get more air flow, but I have never heard of anyone completely removing it. CV carbs don't function properly without it. Just my .02 cents
I should have waited for the pic to load.
I've tried both like some of you and I found keeping it in stock form with the middle rib under the Y filed down to smooth out the chamber helped the best. Then I shit canned it all and got Seans stage heaven!

Wow, had my bike now for 3 years and didn't even realize the Y was missing until i had another max in the garage and noticed it, does anyone have an extra one kicking around? i am getting the Morley kit in the next while but i just want to see if it makes any difference to the bike.

Back