Akrapovic Mid Pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryuw

Reaction score
Any of you guys running a Akrapovic mid pipe on your machines ? I have a few people say they were running the mid pipe with stock mufflers and liked the combination , others have said it sounds like crap .
I would assume deleting the cat the bike is going to need a power commander or not sure if these machines can be remapped ?
Also I guess a airfilter like K&N or other ?
I'm still breaking in my machine and just in parts collection mode , won't be bolting anything on till winter .
Thanks

Greg

Both the Gen II's in my garage are fitted with the original "Marks X-Pipe", whatever that means. And they both also have the aftermarket "BigAir" kits w/ K&N filters installed instead of the OEM airbox.

Yes, if you remove the cat, you will have to do something with the fuel mapping.

Shala's 09 has the PCV installed and mapped to be fairly smooth running, at least she says it is OK for her. I found it to still have an ever so slight lean surge feeling to it, but she is OK with that. To get it that smooth, the map I built is VERY rich, but still dyno'd well and develops 185hp.

My 09 had an extremely bad lean surge feeling in it, that no amount of mapping on it's PCV would cure, and so, I ended up getting a brand new PCV which seemed to bring it down to a level equal to the way Shala's bike feels. But it was still too bumpy a ride for me, and so, I sent my ECU to Tim Nash in Florida for his re-flash. Then I set my PCV mapping to all ZERO's, til such time as I can actually get it on a dyno. Some say, depending upon elevation, I may still benefit from a custom PCV map on top of Tim's flash, but I don't see how that could possibly make the bike run any better than it does now. IT ROCKS on the NASH FLASH.

hey guys got the same issue i have the 10' and the guy i bought the bike from just threw the pipe on no re flash no map nothing and the bike dosent seem to be running right it sounds absolutley awesome with a sleeper look with the stock pipes and i dont know if i need to buy a power commander or what please help me out. ! plus im getting a flashing ABS light when i am just randomly riding and only way to get rid of it is to shut the bike complety down and restart and never comes back till the next ride.

hey guys got the same issue i have the 10' and the guy i bought the bike from just threw the pipe on no re flash no map nothing and the bike dosent seem to be running right it sounds absolutley awesome with a sleeper look with the stock pipes and i dont know if i need to buy a power commander or what please help me out. ! plus im getting a flashing ABS light when i am just randomly riding and only way to get rid of it is to shut the bike complety down and restart and never comes back till the next ride.

Mike, if it's true that he just thru the Akrapovic mid-pipe on the bike w/o any changes, your "doesn't seem to be running right" is correct... running too lean, especially in the #3 cyl . Two options to consider IMHO... 1) if you want to keep the Akrapovic mid-pipe, get your ECU retuned for it from Tim Nash (GuruedGear.com) for around $650 to solve your performance / lean problem. or 2) reinstall the CAT if you have it and make it completly stock again.

I personnal wouldn't run the bike the way it currently is until you correct it. I wanted a "1 fix" for the all around riding I do so I went with the Nash retune rather than having to mess with Power Commander maps / always tweeking. Just not for me.

As for the ABS light coming on, if you're doing burnouts , the light will come on and you have to turn off / restart to reset it.

Ahh 650 hmmm kinda high. And I don't don't do burnouts someone on YouTube said I can screw with the VO settings threw the bike ? Idk if that's true . The guy I bought the bike from had some chip wired up from what he told me was some chip that shuts off the mph limiter or some shit idk kinda weird if you asked me . He said he bought it off eBay

well today is the day my Max gets ripped apart and CAT goes back on till i save up and send out my ECU right now i dont have that much saved in my Vmax fund. so rather doing more damage of running it to lean CAT IT IS !! now one question for you . 1. can i leave my k&n filter i have in my air box? or do i have to go buy a stock yamaha one?

K&N is fine. Don't need to change.

+1 , been running mine All stock except for a K&N. I don't have any ABS light either and I doubt if any body is burning out any more then I do, Third tire went on at 8500 miles , and I don't use the brakes to do burnouts either. That's cheating!

That ABS light should not be coming on. You need to get a manual and run down some of the checklist to see if you can figure out what may be wrong there. Perhaps you just need to rebleed the brake system??? I never get an ABS light unless I'm running it in gear on the wheel stand in the garage. Light goes back off as soon as I put it on the ground and restart the bike to ride.

Sounds like the previous owner may have gone into his CO settings and changed the one cylinder that tends to run lean from the factory. :confused2: Are you sure that he did not already install a Power Commander V under the hood somewhere? The 09 bike my wife bought ran like total piece of chit, and I thought I'd be buying a PCV for her right off, but it ended up having one already installed, but the prev owner hadn't programmed it correctly.

The previous owner may have also installed a Speedhealer, or similar device on the bike, and programmed it at 50% or similar. That would fool the bike's ECU into thinking it was only running 50 mph, when in fact it was doing 100 mph down the highway. This would allow the rider to run faster than the Yamaha pre-programmed 135mph top speed w/o ECU modification. The Tim Nash flash @ around $550 (when I had mine done earlier this year) also takes care of that top speed limiter inside the ECU so that you don't have to trick it in order to go over 135 mph. (my bike hit the limiter at 133 indicated) I do still run a speed healer device, but simply to actually correct the speed indicated to the actual speed traveled based upon GPS verified speed. Both the wifes' 09, and mine, with the 240mm tires installed were off right at 8%.

third tire went on at 8500 miles , and I don't use the brakes to do burnouts either. That's cheating!

Dayumn Rick. What brand tires you running on that beast that net you over 4250 miles each? I just changed out another Dunlop with only 1900 miles on it. :worthy::worthy:

Dayumn Rick. What brand tires you running on that beast that net you over 4250 miles each? I just changed out another Dunlop with only 1900 miles on it.
worthy00.gif
worthy00.gif

Stock tires , second at 3700 , third rear and second front at 8500 and will need fourth rear in the spring

Ahh 650 hmmm kinda high. And I don't don't do burnouts someone on YouTube said I can screw with the VO settings threw the bike ? Idk if that's true . The guy I bought the bike from had some chip wired up from what he told me was some chip that shuts off the mph limiter or some shit idk kinda weird if you asked me . He said he bought it off eBay

Are you sure there is no power commander on the bike? It would normally be mounted under the right side cover.

The chip that is installed is most likely the Top Speed chip that Oliver (owner of the StarVmax site) was producing and selling for a while. It divides the speed signal once you hit around 120 MPH to fool the ECU. This allows the bike to run up to around 170 MPH. Otherwise you are limited to 137 MPH (although the speedo will read quite a bit higher because of error).

The ABS light you are getting may be related to a problem with that chip. That's because the speed signal is actually pulses from the ABS sensor. When you install the chip you splice into that signal from the sensor.

Soooo, it could be an issue with the chip or a loose connection where the splice is..........or something else :)

If you want to discuss it over the phone I could give you some more detail. Shoot me a PM with your number and a good time to call.

Mark

Both the Gen II's in my garage are fitted with the original "Marks X-Pipe", whatever that means. And they both also have the aftermarket "BigAir" kits w/ K&N filters installed instead of the OEM airbox.

Yes, if you remove the cat, you will have to do something with the fuel mapping.

Shala's 09 has the PCV installed and mapped to be fairly smooth running, at least she says it is OK for her. I found it to still have an ever so slight lean surge feeling to it, but she is OK with that. To get it that smooth, the map I built is VERY rich, but still dyno'd well and develops 185hp.

My 09 had an extremely bad lean surge feeling in it, that no amount of mapping on it's PCV would cure, and so, I ended up getting a brand new PCV which seemed to bring it down to a level equal to the way Shala's bike feels. But it was still too bumpy a ride for me, and so, I sent my ECU to Tim Nash in Florida for his re-flash. Then I set my PCV mapping to all ZERO's, til such time as I can actually get it on a dyno. Some say, depending upon elevation, I may still benefit from a custom PCV map on top of Tim's flash, but I don't see how that could possibly make the bike run any better than it does now. IT ROCKS on the NASH FLASH.

Jim.....I'm pretty sure you have the original "Mike's X-Pipe". :) (Great pipe)

Mark's pipe is something altogether different, although either of these are much better than Tom, Dick and/or Harry's. LOL

Jim.....I'm pretty sure you have the original "Mike's X-Pipe". :) (Great pipe)

Mark's pipe is something altogether different, although either of these are much better than Tom, Dick and/or Harry's. LOL

LOL Mike. Mark. I think they may be the same fellow. lol. I stand corrected.

I have a cheater chip that trips the bike over 140 but ill never go that fast. I think my abs sensors are prob dirty Bc it only happened after I went and got new rubber on the bike. I also might be selling this mid pipe if the price is right other than that it can sit on the shelve lol

Latest posts

Back