Always check your six....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on that, I am always looking in my rear view when coming to a stop. I've been rear ended in a car before so since then it has been a habit of mine.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I'm with you on that, I am always looking in my rear view when coming to a stop. I've been rear ended in a car before so since then it has been a habit of mine.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I had a similar experience, back in '94 in Florida; I was stopped in traffic in the outside lane, watching my six when I noticed this car coming up behind me at a high rate of speed. Since I was still in first gear, I casually moved over to the left side of the car in front of me, almost splitting between him and the car to his left. Next thing was a loud screech from said approaching car and he stopped just short of the rear bumper of the car that I was waiting behind..... :O

i watch the front tires when approaching a car entering from a side street..... wich way they are going the turn left or right, and if they stop or look like they are gonna keep going. that eye contact stuff doesn't really work. i had people look at me as they pulled out and kept going. as i grab brakes, and start cussing, lol. always look for an out, being a truck driver, i developed a habit of looking for an out. what would i do if this car did that, what would i do if that car did this, and so on. my eyes are constantly moving, my head is on a swivel, i am constantly aware of my surroundings, and what is behind me. when i'm stopping, or am stopped my eyes are on my mirror, looking behind me.

Yes, keep an eye out for aggressive drivers whenever you are on the road! This just happened to me today:

We were just returning from shopping in Ft. Lauderdale for kitchen & bath stuff for the remodel, we stopped for lunch at Southport Raw Bar and were on US 1 in Hollywood FL. Traffic was pretty heavy. There were two pickups behind our Camry trying to make time and get past us but the traffic kept them behind us despite their best rapid acceleration & lane changing.

Traffic in front of me came to a stop. I stopped & had an eye on the rear view mirror as the p-u behind me was taking his sweet time about stopping, I was a bit behind the car in front of me. When I saw the guy to the rear didn't throw on the binders, I was prepared to move ahead a bit, which I did, to be rolling instead of stationary if/when he hit us. The guy finally did stop & the front of his truck nose-dived as he had to clamp 'em on to avoid impacting me, but the p-u behind him had just changed lanes to behind him, and was caught w/nowhere to go. He slammed 'em on and jerked the wheel to try and avoid rear ending the p-u in front, but he put himself into oncoming traffic. He did a panic stop and slammed into the p-u behind me. By now the traffic in front of me started up again so I took off, watching the two p-u's rocking from the impact.

Finally I caught a break! I have had 4 rear enders (people hitting me) in my p-u since I bought it new in Aug. 2009 & one hit & run in a Sears pkg lot during Christmas shopping. My wife was t-boned in Miami FL by a teen-age driver talking on the phone instead of stopping for a 4-way stop intersection, about a year ago.

The streets are mean, whatever you use on them.

Back