Am I dreaming?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmax

Reaction score
Didnt I read a posting within the last week or two that said yamaha was going to source out manufacturing to China?

Thought I read it here. Anyone recall??

Man I hope not, I'll never buy a new Yamaha or any other motorcycle if they do. It's one thing to buy cloths or toys there, if they break no big deal, I'd never buy anything from China that has the potential to kill or seriously harm me if it failed

Man I hope not, I'll never buy a new Yamaha or any other motorcycle if they do. It's one thing to buy cloths or toys there, if they break no big deal, I'd never buy anything from China that has the potential to kill or seriously harm me if it failed

You might be looking at it in the wrong context. There is already many car parts and motorcycle parts made in China overseen by the parent company.
Provided the parts are made to specification then there is no difference other than the manufacturer saves a fortune because of cheaper labor.
The Suzuki GN is totally manufactured in China for example.
Most Japanese car manufacturers outsource parts in China and is growing all the time.
You might be surprised by some well known car bits which you think, and in fact are described as "American made" products are actually made in China.
I won't name them, but you might be shocked.

How about those chinese made electronics on harley davidsons... Look at the quality that you get there LMFAO

At the risk of getting incinerated here..........chinese stuff isn't ALL crap. This is a pic of a cheap 'honda clone' generator that pulled my bacon out of the fire last week during a power outage. Thing ran 24/7 for a week without the slightest hiccup.

I've had it for a couple years and it's powered our whole house during several outages.

They CAN make good stuff over in 'fortune cookie land,' they usually don't, but they can.

Attachments

• 100_0953.jpg
    100_0953.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 30
Hate to admit it, but a lot of the hard parts I buy for my fleet (brake rotors. idler arms, etc.) are now all made in China & the quality is just as good as the name-brand stuff I was buying 10 years ago. And to top it off, the stuff is CHEAPER now than it was 10 years ago too. Plus those cheap Chinese tools that were guaranteed to bust your knuckles are now acually quite durable. I'm NOT a fan of China - just observing the changes over the years. I haven't heard of Yamaha out-sourcing anything to China, but frankly I'd be surprised if they weren't.

You might be looking at it in the wrong context. There is already many car parts and motorcycle parts made in China overseen by the parent company.
Provided the parts are made to specification then there is no difference other than the manufacturer saves a fortune because of cheaper labor.
The Suzuki GN is totally manufactured in China for example.
Most Japanese car manufacturers outsource parts in China and is growing all the time.
You might be surprised by some well known car bits which you think, and in fact are described as "American made" products are actually made in China.
I won't name them, but you might be shocked.
no doubt there are a lot of bike/car parts mde in Chine, but I don't believe anythign that can cause catostrophic failure. Ie suspension parts, chassis parts... I could be wrong.
I think Toyota has been out sourcing to China and India for a while.

After alot of research of chinese manufacturing as I wanted to know more about who is taking are manufacturing jobs, one conclusion that i came to is that there are 3 types of manufacturers in China;

Grass hut manufacturers - small and unsophisticated companies that produce cheap products - generally trinkets, clothing, etc... the stuff that falls apart in a week or less. Very little to no quality standards to speak of.

Small shop manufacturers - using older machinery or older tooling to make products that are decent quality - but often they are old designs taken from other manufacturers - they often buy up the the old drawings, molds and tooling of products from 10-20 years ago

High Tech manufacturers - they are ISO 9000 - 9002 certified manufacturers that use state of the art machinery and technology to produce top quality products for all kinds of industries or markets - they produce auto parts, hospital equipment, etc... and will give any other manufacturers a run for their money.

The biggest difference they have over many other countries is that they a cheap labor pool, strong government financial and technical backing and a world of manufacturers wanting to buy from them.

We have under estimated the Chinese for too long, as we have the Japanese 10+ years ago and if we continue to do so, it will destroy our remaining local manufacturing base.

Mike

The reason why i asked is because I wanted to post it on the R1 forum I belong to.

There has been a lot of debate on there about the cheap ebay wave rotors. A lot of them refuse to buy stuff made in china. I wanted to let them know that yammy was going to sstart manufacturing in china.

Either way, there is a Mechanical engineer who is going to test the rotors to check their integrity.

He is going to confirm what material they are made of and some stress testing among other test.

The reason why i asked is because I wanted to post it on the R1 forum I belong to.

There has been a lot of debate on there about the cheap ebay wave rotors. A lot of them refuse to buy stuff made in china. I wanted to let them know that yammy was going to sstart manufacturing in china.

Either way, there is a Mechanical engineer who is going to test the rotors to check their integrity.

He is going to confirm what material they are made of and some stress testing among other test.

MN-It would be interesting to check out his findings. Maybe you can post them here.

At the risk of getting incinerated here..........chinese stuff isn't ALL crap. This is a pic of a cheap 'honda clone' generator that pulled my bacon out of the fire last week during a power outage. Thing ran 24/7 for a week without the slightest hiccup.

I've had it for a couple years and it's powered our whole house during several outages.

They CAN make good stuff over in 'fortune cookie land,' they usually don't, but they can.

Lifan makes motorcycles too. I visited a dealer 3 or 4 years ago in the DFW area... West of Irving I think.

Latest posts

Back