AMC/Jeep El Camino-Ranchero style vehicle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever see one? Evidently, AMC in the early 1970's decided to investigate building one. They chose an AMC Hornet as the basis, and built two prototypes. One used the OHV inline-6 cyl that served Rambler/AMC/Jeep so-long. Another prototype was the 360 cubic inch AMC V-8 Hornet based vehicle. The former was destroyed when the project received a 'no' vote from management, but the other was not. It's been in private hands for many years, and it looks pretty-good. What do you think?

I like the looks, pretty-clean I think, and the 360 c.i. V-8 and a 4-speed would be a lot of fun. People who buy something like this aren't buying it for trips to the lumber yard to pick-up 20 sheets of 3/4" plywood, they buy it because it's sporty, fun to drive, and has the ability to do some light hauling. It would probably be a good tow vehicle for a small boat.

If you look at the page w/the prototypes, the 1st pic, they just threw some cardboard onto an existing car to take a look at what the lines would look-like, without destroying a car, or spending a lot of staff time, money, and resources, a clever move. The front end on the middle pic looks a bit awkward, but the green car pic looks much-better. Compared to a Datsun pick-up of the time, it appears the AMC would have more load capacity.

I believe the Hornet in the later years also was available as an AWD model, which would have been an interesting combo. Should'a, could'a, would'a.

The 1960's Ford Falcon Ranchero I think would have been close to this in size.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• AMC Hornet Ranchero style.01.jpg
    AMC Hornet Ranchero style.01.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2
  • AMC Hornet Ranchero style.02.jpg
    AMC Hornet Ranchero style.02.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
Back