Amsoil, gas milage and Harley types

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
Lets start with amzoil 20-50 synthetic oil. I dumped the old oil out that the previous owner had in.The clutch was draging a bit when cold.Had this same issue with my last harley...figured if it worked on that bike, it should work on the max." It did" No more drag.:eusa_dance:
So my buddy and I went for a small 100mile road trip.He rides a 2010 Triumph Bonnievile.He loves doing gas milage comparisions...so he did,...it turns out the triumph got 54mpg and my max got 43mpg! I wonder,..did the amzoil help that much?
Next story...we pull up to this bar ,.."bunch of harleys there" we stoped for a smoke and a break.So I trotted over to talk to them.I complimented him on his nice decker, and he replied with...hey guys look," a limey and a lemon"He then told me about his 100cubic inch"all this and that" motor...and how he could pull the front end up when he hit the gas!They were having fun with us. He said .."you can ride with us to the next town if you can keep up...:biglaugh: thank you I said, I'll sure try."oh boy, this is gonna be fun!"
The 3 harleys headed out to the highway...and away they went...roarrrrr. i let them get the" false sence "that they had left me in the dust. I NAILED IT HARD!! VAROOOM,..I shot by them like a blur! I kept it wide open till they were a DOT in my mirror. I then slowed down to 50mph to let them "and my buddy" catch up. They wouldnt!!! I slowed to 40mph....still they kept their distance...chicken shits,..all of them.They can dish out all sorts of verbal diareah,but cant take it back.I have lost any respect I once had for them.:looser:

Re: Amzoil, gas milage and harleytypes

GREAT STORY , .. I ALSO PUT IN 20W-50 SYNTHETIC WET CLUTCH OIL & ZDDP ADDITIVE http://www.eastwood.com/zddp-plus-oil-additive-4-fl-oz.html , MAN MY MAX SHIFTS LIKE A DREAM NOW , I DO NOT HAVE TO POP IT INTO NEUTRAL BEFORE COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP , I CAN COME TO A COMPLETE STOP & EITHER CLICK IT DOWN FROM SECOND OR UP FROM FIRST WITH EASE ! ... THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK IS THAT THERE IS LESS CLUTCH DRAG , AND THAT IS ALLOWING THE TRANSMISSION TO SHIFT FREELY ! ... :punk:

GREAT STORY , .. I ALSO PUT IN 20W-50 SYNTHETIC WET CLUTCH OIL & ZDDP ADDITIVE http://www.eastwood.com/zddp-plus-oil-additive-4-fl-oz.html , MAN MY MAX SHIFTS LIKE A DREAM NOW , I DO NOT HAVE TO POP IT INTO NEUTRAL BEFORE COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP , I CAN COME TO A COMPLETE STOP & EITHER CLICK IT DOWN FROM SECOND OR UP FROM FIRST WITH EASE ! ... THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK IS THAT THERE IS LESS CLUTCH DRAG , AND THAT IS ALLOWING THE TRANSMISSION TO SHIFT FREELY ! ... :punk:
Yes, I agree. Very easy to find neutral now. And yes, I find it shifts better as well.

Hey folks:

I looked up "Amzoil" (it's with a "Z", right, as it says in this post?) but couldn't find it...

What is it?

Elimax

Hey folks:

I looked up "Amzoil" (it's with a "Z", right, as it says in this post?) but couldn't find it...

What is it?

Elimax

lol No he spelled it wrong. It's Amsoil. It's the "wonder" oil... lol

Chris

lol No he spelled it wrong. It's Amsoil. It's the "wonder" oil... lol

Chris
Yikes...your right. "amsoil" not "amzoil" It sounds like the latter, but is spelled with an "s"
Here is the link.. http://www.amsoil.com/
Have used it in all my engines since it came out,and have never had bearing or engine failure. Starts easier cold and when hot.Exeeds warrantee standars as well.

do you think the smooth shifting into neutral is more the oil or the additive you are useing:ummm:

do you think the smooth shifting into neutral is more the oil or the additive you are useing:ummm:
I am not using an extra oil additive and I find shifting better.It seems to work good on all bikes I've tried. We tried it on an old 750 honda,..it was seeping oil around the jug gaskets"sweating" and to both our amazment, it stoped! I've since recomended it to many of my friends with older bikes that seep, and its always seemed to work. It does not cause an old bike to leak more, contrary to myth, it does the opposite.
I use amsoil in my compressor as well. A year later, the oil is still clear.It doubles the life of my air tools as well, plus they seem to have more power.I also ran it in my out board boat motor.After five years, the Leg was in like new shape. Back in 1993 I was comming back from Sturgis on my suzuki 800 intruder at 140kms"86mph" It was darn hot 102 degrees. I pounded the bike all day in the heat. I heat scoared a piston bad. Had to rebore. "that was with DINO oil! I ran Amzoil after the rebuild, and pounded it for another 68,000 kms and never had another issue. Sold the bike to my son and he road it to the pin for another 28,000 kilometers trouble free. "The observable evidence concludes that Amsoil will protect your motor" To the nay sayers...run what you wanna run..its your motor :biglaugh:

I've seen 42MPG with my max and I'm a fat ass... I don't run Amsoil.

I'm just not a believer in the "miracle" oils. Not saying it doesn't make a difference. I just don't believe the hype.

Chris

I'm just not a believer in the "miracle" oils. Not saying it doesn't make a difference. I just don't believe the hype.

Chris

I have seen mileage over 40mpg on regular oils since I too have seen this on my other vmax's. I run just valvoline 10w30 oil. If you stay off the vboost, you can get good mileage on the bike. It all depends on how hard you ride the bike.

Just my two cents.

Oil has extremely little effect on mileage...like tenths of a MPG at best. 40+ is possible on virtually any Vmax, you just have to keep the wrist spasms down and not go ripping off every stoplight. Smooth, easy acceleration with early shifting, and 75mph on the highway usually returns 40-42 for me. I have the Venture drive, which seems to be good for an extra MPG or two also.

The p/o of my bike always used Mobil1 4T "Racing Oil". I noticed recently it wasn't shifting as smoothly, and neutral was getting tough to find. It had almost 7000 miles on the oil(which was barely dirty when I drained it), but with fresh oil it is much smoother now and finding neutral doesn't require me to sit there and kick the shifter for 30 seconds looking like a n00b.

That's Harley riders....all talk, all show, but when it comes to action they always pussy out because they know they're riding overpriced, underperforming relics and are afraid to even show their face afterward. Unfortunately, it's way too typical.

All good posts guys. Its interesting how some oils seem to work well for others, and dont for others. I guess the answere is.."stay with what works for you"
And as far gas milage and syntheyic goes....I'm sure there is a gain, but like said earlier, "little"
If you want to visit a reall bunch of harley die-hards, that crap on any thing but Harley,..go to--- http://xlforum.net/index.html These guys are convinced that if you spend enough money,bore the cylinders paper thin,and run the wildest cams and compression.....that you can whoop any metric through the 1/4, and still be streetable. Take a look at the photo's as well. These guys are taking brand new sportsters, choping them up with a hack-saw and then painting them flat black with a rattle can, and then praising each other. I've never seen such a basterization of perfectly working bikes before untill I seen that forum.Their butchers, not builders.

All good posts guys. Its interesting how some oils seem to work well for others, and dont for others. I guess the answere is.."stay with what works for you"
And as far gas milage and syntheyic goes....I'm sure there is a gain, but like said earlier, "little"
If you want to visit a reall bunch of harley die-hards, that crap on any thing but Harley,..go to--- http://xlforum.net/index.html These guys are convinced that if you spend enough money,bore the cylinders paper thin,and run the wildest cams and compression.....that you can whoop any metric through the 1/4, and still be streetable. Take a look at the photo's as well. These guys are taking brand new sportsters, choping them up with a hack-saw and then painting them flat black with a rattle can, and then praising each other. I've never seen such a basterization of perfectly working bikes before untill I seen that forum.Their butchers, not builders.

I don't get it. So you think all us vmaxxers are so much better with our 25 year old jap technology? We do the same thing. We buy a bike that we like that is outdated and slow compared to todays best offerings. We dump a bunch of cash into them trying to make the look cooler, handle better, and go faster. We post pics of em on this website and congratulate each other for doing the same shit as they do over there! Only difference is our bikes aren't sportsters. I love the vmax but I do realize that I could have a better performing and handling bike, for less money then I have into my max. But thats not what its about. I bought it cause I like it. Now I want to make it better. Same thing some of these guys are doing. Half the fun is experimenting with you bike and doing mods IMO.

Sorry to rant on you man but I have a bunch of harley riding friends and have spent alot of time in the saddle of some of their bikes. I helped a friend rebuild his 883 xlc. And we both became members of that forum to do some research for the build. I will say that I'm not much a fan of that place and the we didn't get much info there other than a good place to buy parts. I will say that the sportster is a hell of a lot cheaper to hop up than the max. Its like comparing buying parts for a small block chevy vs. trying to buy parts for a hemi.

We found a local guy http://www.mega-flo.com/index.htm who is well known for building HD drag engines and porting heads. Most of our help came from him. He recommended parts for the build and checked everything before we assembled and worked the heads. We turned the 883 into a 1250, new cams, rebuilt heads, new ignition, exhaust, air cleaner, carb, etc.... No it wasn't cheap but all in all it was a fraction of what it would cost to do similar mods to our bike. And I'll tell you without a doubt that all the work made a HUGE difference. Still not as fast as a good running stock max, LOL, but its does go pretty damn good. I have ridden it quite a bit and its very surprising the difference those parts made. Before the rebuild the bike was a joke. Now it can hang with max. It shines in the bottom end. If he jumps me on a highway roll on when I'm just cruising (not expecting it) I have a hard time catching up. I have to downshift a couple gears to get the rpms up to make some power and then I'll blow by him. And NO, it does not spew oil. It runs just fine for cruising around town and has been reliable for a few years now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting you down. I just hate it when people make a general blank statement about the "harley guys". I know I had a lot of fun working on that bike. Its easy to work on and the bang for your buck results are great. The bike is very fun to ride and it is very comfortable as well. He, and the other friends I have with H-D's are the same as the guys I know with vmaxes. They love their bikes, they love to ride. They love to work on their bikes. It's all about having fun. Some guys think its fun to buy a vmax and mod it, some think its buy a H-D and mod it. To each their own.

Maybe the guys I know are in the minority of the H-D crowd:confused2: But I know they have respect for all makes/models of bikes and their riders. They can look at my bike and appreciate it, or a ducati, or any other bike. They don't feel the need to put down other bikes and riders. Wish there were more guys out there like them to be honest.

I used to run amsoil in my Stang, thought about it for the max, but not for $10/qt, it's not 3x better imo.

Sorry If I offended any one on this form. And I stand corrected..".I did make a blank general statment." I have been, and hung around the harley scene for 20+ years. Hot rodding sportys, and old shovel heads. And yes, your right....you can make them fly! We must have a bad bunch around here though, their morals, or lack of...really suck.They would rather hinder than help there fellow rider. I guess I'm just sick of the "life style" I used all my harley logo shirts for shop rags,.." gave away" all the rest of my "harley bling"...sold the bike and bought a max. I dont regret it at all. Now,..the same guys I road with for years, dont even wave.
I see alot of "fine" work being done on this forum, with some really great guys.The "talk" is certainly cleaner, and so are the posts,...and there isnt a "drugs & booze" sub forum!

Good points,..sorry for the confussion.

No worries here, I'm not offended, and nothing against you at all. Just had to throw my .02 in there cause I know a lot of good guys that ride H-D's and we all have fun together wether its riding or wrenching or just hanging out. We see each other thru the tough times in life and when things are going south or you need a hand you know who you can rely on. They are the same ones to call with the good news as well. Hate seeing my friends & family thrown into the category of a bad guy just cause of what bike they may choose to ride.

Sorry for ranting on ya'. I'm off the soapbox now :biglaugh:

Any sorry to hear about your old "friends". I can't wrap my mind around disowning someone I used to ride with becasue of what kind of bike they own.

Mab.,,, I was looking at your photo's, Are your forward foot pegs home built or is this something you can buy.What a great desighn. Your feet sure wouldnt slide off those, and they dont stick out like a sore thumb.

Mab.,,, I was looking at your photo's, Are your forward foot pegs home built or is this something you can buy.What a great desighn. Your feet sure wouldnt slide off those, and they dont stick out like a sore thumb.

They are frame sliders from Cycle One off. http://www.cycleoneoff.com/v-maxpartspage1.html

They make a few different looks.

COO doesn't intend them to be footpegs but that is the only reason I bought them. They work good as a place to prop up your feet if you're cruising along and need to stretch out. But, note that you can't really get your whole foot on it because your heels will hit the engine case or water pump elbow. Most of my foot is hanging off the front of these pegs. But, when I'm just cruising along, I have no problems with that. The pegs don't stick out far enough for me to get my foot on the peg beside the motor either so I'm pretty much stuck with having most of my foot hanging off the front of the peg with my heels up against the motor/water pump elbow.

If I were to do it all over I would buy them again as I like the looks of them and they do what I need them to do.

Nice product from Tom. Fit and finish were great.

Chris
CHRIS , I DON'T BELIEVE IN " SNAKE OIL EITHER " , BUT I HAVE ALWAYS SAID MY MAX IS THE WORST SHIFTING BIKE I'VE EVER HAD ! ... THEY STOPPED MAKING THE YAMAHA 20W-40 OIL , AND I SHOPPED AROUND AND MY BUDDY ONLY USES AMSOIL , SO I PUT IN THE MOBIL ONE SYNTHETIC 20W-50 MOTORCYCLE OIL , AND RIGHT AWAY IT SHIFTED EASY , I STILL DON'T BELIEVE IT MYSELF ! ... I USED TO CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES , SO NOW I'LL DO IT EVEY 2,000 MILES & I'LL BREAK EVEN ! .. :punk: PS. IT DID NOT CHANGE MY MILEAGE AT ALL ! ... I GOT 44.25 MPG TO & FROM " BROWNIE RUN 2010 " !

Latest posts

Back