An Electric Superbike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concept is nice the price less.
Matter of time before they push a little bit more on alternative energy for motorcycle.
It's taking time with cars, it might take 10 more years to make it possible for an affordable price more motorcycle.

The one thing I don't get with all those electric bikes, is how they all seem to just wanna use one big motor and direct transmission. Everyone knows that electric motors become SO much less efficient in higher revs, so why the hell do they not use a smaller (and lighter) motor and a proper transmission (gearbox) to utilize the amazing low down efficiency of the electric engine?!?

ive been into RC cars for years, and just watching the performance grow over the years especially in the last 4 or 5 has been just... insane.

to make a nitro powered car faster they just put bigger motors in them. theyre no faster than they were 10 years ago. these things do roost.

electric on the other hand...

they were heavy. the battery weighed as much as a brick. they used 6 or 7 cell nicd packs that took 40 minutes to charge and were dead in literally 5 minutes. the motors werent powerful at all, if you could get your wheels to spin you had a fast electric car. i remember several races where i crawled to the finish line. the brushed motors produced the most torque at their lowest rpm, if youre spinning it and have any type of load on the motor it just bogs.

however when lithium batteries came out, and more efficient "brushless" motors were introduced, the whole ball game turned.

lithium has a constant voltage no matter how long youve been bashing your car, its extremely light, some weigh as much as a couple ink pens in your hand. you can play with one of these cars for 40 minutes straight, and recharge the batt in 30 minutes, or faster if you have balls and some fans.

the brushless motors deliver all of their torque throughout the power band regardless of rpm, and are faster and more efficient because there is no friction internally, and NO maintenance, period.

if you mash the throttle on one of these they flip on their lid!! when i raced oval we had these things turned down 50%, not because we had to... it was an unlimited class... theyre just uncontrollable.

we had bald tires in 35 laps, they roost, we were destroying gears in the differential and transmission, snapping axles and flexing the chassis til they cracked, alot of modern RC cars have carbon fiber chassis. if you lost traction and your wheel was in the air while you were on the throttle your tires come unglued from the wheel and just shredded. the tires expand under throttle and get so tall they slice down the middle when they make contact with the lexan body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ssLpgky5E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zl_IHt_-uI

Back