An Irishman Tackles Our Election

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
*Irishman's Take on Our Election
Sometimes it takes someone from afar (and an Irishman at that!) to succinctly articulate what happened...
Ian O'Doherty is a columnist who works for the Irish Independent.* His "iSpy" column is published Monday –Thursday and contains news articles blended with comedy and shock-jock opinions.* On Fridays O'Doherty publishes a rather more serious column containing his opinion on a chosen subject in "The World according to Ian O'Doherty". He was formerly with the Evening Herald.
Ian O'Doherty: A two fingers to a politically correct elite
Tuesday November 8,*2016 - a day that will live in infamy, or the moment when America was made great again?
The truth, as ever, will lie somewhere in the middle. After all, contrary to what both his supporters and detractors believe - and this is probably the only thing they agree on - Trump won't be able to come into office and spend his first 100 days gleefully ripping up all the bits of the Constitution he doesn't like.
But even if this week's seismic shockwave doesn't signal either the sky falling in or the start of a bright new American era, the result was, to use one of The Donald's favorite phrases, huge. It is, in fact, a total game changer.
In decades to come, historians will still bicker about the most poisonous, toxic and stupid election in living memory.
They will also be bickering over the same vexed question - how did a man who was already unpopular with the public and who boasted precisely zero political experience beat a seasoned Washington insider who was married to one extremely popular president and who had worked closely with another?
The answer, ultimately, is in the question.
History will record this as a Trump victory, which of course it is.
But it was also more than that, because this was the most stunning self-inflicted defeat in the history of Western democracy.
Hillary Clinton has damned her party to irrelevance for at least the next four years. She has also ensured that Obama's legacy will now be a footnote rather than a chapter. Because the Affordable Care Act is now doomed under a Trump presidency and that was always meant to be his gift, of sorts, to America.
How did a candidate who had virtually all of the media, all of Hollywood, every celebrity you could think of, a couple of former presidents and apparently, the hopes of an entire gender resting on her shoulders, blow up her own campaign?
I rather suspect that neither Donald nor Hillary know how they got to this point.
Where she seemed to expect the position to become available to her by right - the phrase "she deserves it" was used early in the campaign and then quickly dropped when her team remembered that Americans don't like inherited power - his first steps into the campaign were those of someone chancing their arm. If he wasn't such a staunch teetotaller, many observers would have accused him of only doing it as a drunken bet.
But the more the campaign wore on, something truly astonishing began to happen - the people began to speak. And they began to speak in a voice which, for the first time in years in the American heartland, would not be ignored.
Few of the people who voted for Trump seriously believe that he is going to personally improve their fortunes. Contrary to the smug, middle-class media narrative, they aren't all barely educated idiots.
They know what he is, of course they do. It's what he is NOT that appeals to them.
Clinton, on the other hand, had come to represent the apex of smug privilege. Whether it was boasting about her desire to shut down the remaining coal industry in Virginia - that worked out well for her, in the end - or calling half the electorate a "basket of deplorables", she seemed to operate in the perfumed air of the elite, more obsessed with coddling idiots and pandering to identity and feelings than improving the hardscrabble life that is the lot of millions of Americans.
Also, nobody who voted for Trump did so because they wanted him as a spiritual guru or life coach.
But plenty of people invested an irrational amount of emotional energy into a woman who was patently undeserving of that level of adoration.
That's why we've witnessed such fury from her supporters - they had wrapped themselves so tightly in the Hillary flag that a rejection of her felt like a rejection of them. And when you consider that many American colleges gave their students Wednesday off class because they were too 'upset' to study, you can see that this wasn't a battle for the White House - this became a genuine battle for America's future direction. And, indeed, for the West.
We have been going through a cultural paroxysm for the last 10 years - the rise of identity politics has created a Balkanized society where the content of someone's mind is less important than their skin color, gender, sexuality or whatever other attention-seeking label they wish to bestow upon themselves.
In fact, where once it looked like racism and sexism might be becoming archaic remnants of a darker time, a whole new generation has popped up which wants to re-litigate all those arguments all over again.
In fact, while many of us are too young to recall the Vietnam war and the social upheaval of the 1960s, plenty of observers who were say they haven't seen an America more at war with itself than it is today.
One perfect example of this new America has been the renewed calls for segregation on campuses. Even a few years ago, such a move would have been greeted with understandable horror by civil rights activists - but this time it's the black students demanding segregation and "safe spaces" from whites. If young *people calling for racial segregation from each other isn't the sign of a very, very sick society, nothing is.
The irony of Clinton calling Trump and his followers racist while she was courting Black Lives Matter was telling.
After all, no rational white person would defend the KKK, yet here was a white woman defending both BLM and the New Black Panthers - explicitly racist organizations with the NBP, in particularly, openly espousing a race war if they don't get what they want.
Fundamentally, Trump was attractive because he represents a repudiation of the nonsense that has been slowly strangling the West.
He represents - rightly or wrongly, and the dust has still to settle - a scorn and contempt for these new rules. He won't be a president worried about micro-aggressions, or listening to the views of patently insane people just because they come from a fashionably protected group.
He also represents a glorious two fingers to everyone who has become sick of being called a racist or a bigot or a homophobe - particularly by Hillary supporters who are too dense to realize that she has always actually been more conservative on social issues than Trump.
That it might take a madman to restore some sanity to America is, I suppose, a quirk that is typical to that great nation - land of the free and home to more contradictions than anyone can imagine.
Trump's victory also signals just how out of step the media has been with the people. Not just American media, either.
In fact, the Irish media has continued its desperate drive to make a show of itself with a seemingly endless parade of emotionally incontinent gibberish that, ironically, has increased in ferocity and hysterical spite in the last few days.
The fact that Hillary's main cheerleaders in the Irish and UK media still haven't realized where they went wrong is instructive and amusing in equal measure. They still don't seem to understand that by constantly insulting his supporters, they're just making asses of themselves.
One female contributor to this newspaper said Trump's victory was a "sad day for women". Well, not for the women who voted for him, it wasn't.
But that really is the nub of the matter - the 'wrong' kind of women obviously voted for Trump. The 'right' kind went with Hillary. And lost.
The Irish media is not alone in being filled largely with dinner-party liberals who have never had an original or socially awkward thought in their lives. They simply assume that everyone lives in the same bubble and thinks the same thoughts - and if they don't, they should.
Of the many things that have changed with Trump's victory, the bubble has burst. Never in American history have the polls, the media and the chin-stroking moral arbiters of the liberal agenda been so spectacularly, wonderfully wrong.
It was exactly that condescending, obnoxious sneer towards the working class that brought them out in such numbers, and that is the great irony of Election ‘16 - the Left spent years creating identity politics to the extent that the only group left without protection or a celebrity sponsor was the white American male.
That it was the white American male who swung it for Trump is a timely reminder that while black lives matter, all votes count - even the ones of people you despise.
You don't have to be a supporter of Trump to take great delight in the sheer, apoplectic rage that has greeted his victory.
If Clinton had won and Trump supporters had gone on a rampage through a dozen American cities the next night, there would have been outrage*- and rightly so.
But in a morally and linguistically inverted society, the wrong-doers are portrayed as the victims. We saw that at numerous Trump rallies - protesters would disrupt the event, claiming their right to free speech (a heckler's veto is not free speech) and provoking people until they got a dig before running to the media and claiming victimhood.
But, ultimately, this election was about people saying enough with the bullshit. This is a country in crisis, and most Americans don't care about transgender bathrooms, or safe spaces, or government speech laws. This was about people taking some control back for themselves.
It was about them saying that they won't be hectored and bullied by the toddler tantrums thrown by pissy and spoiled millennials and they certainly won't put up with being told they're stupid and wicked just because they have a difference of opinion.
But, really, this election is about hope for a better America; an America which isn't obsessed with identity and perceived 'privilege'; an America where being a victim isn't a virtue and where you don't have to apologize for not being up to date with the latest list of socially acceptable phrases.
Trump's victory was a two fingers to the politically correct.
It was a brutal rejection of the nonsense narrative which says Muslims who kill Americans are somehow victims. It took the ludicrous Green agenda and threw it out. It was a return, on some level, to a time when people weren't afraid to speak their own mind without some self-elected language cop shouting at you. Who knows, we may even see Trump kicking the UN out of New York.
Frankly, if you're one of those who gets their politics from Jon Stewart and Twitter, look away for the next four years, because you're not going to like what you see. The rest of us, however, will be delighted.
This might go terribly, terribly wrong. Nobody knows - and if we have learned anything this week, it's that nobody knows nuthin'.
But just as the people of the UK took control back with Brexit, the people of America did likewise with their choice for president.
It's called democracy.
Deal with it!!!!!

To me trump is on the right track,Sure he's gonna screw up from time to time.But he's trying to clean up a hell of a mess.why doesn't anyone look at the shit obama done and is still doing,lettin in all those immigrants and gitmo,releasing them crazy fuckers!And what about hillary,she sure ain't no winner,Thank god she ain't our prez.Trump is trying to fix corruption throughout the entire political system,And they ain't 25% of them backing him.Now im sure this is gonna turn into another trump bashing session,I guess you may have been happier with hillary or bernie,or one of the others who ran against him.Me im giving him a shot and wishing him the best.I voted for him,Seems like the best choice we had.Done ok so far,and ain't even in there yet.Not taking ss cutting goverment waste.And quite a few other things for the good of this place most of us call home.obama layed it to our asses and never looked back.8 years worth,No one sais shit.Trump is not even in yet,and has been hammered.by the left wing,Rep and democrats as well as mainstream media.The way i see it no one gives a flying shit about us but trump.If you coulda picked who you wanted who would it have been?Slam trump ok.Then who?I voted trump 3 more day's he is in there.My view.Thank god.

++1 on a great read, I'm looking foreward to seeing what he can do for our country......................Tom.

Post-Election Analysis - Hillary President of California
We hear a cacophony of blaring and bleating from the media and the Hillary gaggle that she won the popular vote and therefore she should be president, 60,839,497 to 60,265,847.* 47.8% to 47,3% with the remaining 4.9% going to the other candidates.

But here are the facts:

Trump won the popular vote in 31 states to her 19 and DC.* 62% to her 38%.
Trump led in the total popular vote for all states except California.*

Hillary won California 5,860,714 to Trump’s 3,151,821.* 61.6% to 33.1% exclusive of the other candidates. Thus, California gave Hillary the popular vote for all states as claimed by the Democrats and their media stooges.

But deduct her California vote from her national vote leaving her with 54,978,783, and deduct Trump’s California vote from his national total, leaving him with 57,113.976, he wins in a landslide in the other 49 states, 51.3% to her 48.7%.

So, in effect, Hillary was elected president of California and Trump was elected president of the rest of the country by a substantial margin.

This exemplifies the wisdom of the Electoral College, to prevent the vote of any one populace state from overriding the vote of the others. *Without the Electoral College the last election we would have ceased to be the USA and become the nation state of CA.
Trump’s Campaign Manager, Kellyanne Conway, whose expertise is polling, saw this early on and devised her strategy of “6 pathways to the White House”.*

This meant ignoring California with its huge Democrat majority and going after the states*that would give him the necessary electoral votes to win, FL, NC, MI, PA, OH, and WI.

At its lowest point since the civil war!* Could this mean the end of the Democrat Party?* When the afternoon of January 20, 2017 arrives, the Republican Party will have:
1)* The Presidency.
2)* A majority of the House of Representatives.
3)* A majority of the Senate.
4)* Almost two-thirds of all the governorship's.
5)* Total control of the statehouses in almost two-thirds of all the states.* And in the near future, Republicans will be able to add --
6)* A majority of the Supreme Court.
The above has never happened before in American history. Think about that and let it sink in for a moment. And it's all because of one reason:* Barack Obama's forcing his extreme far-left agenda on an unwilling country by executive orders, left wing judges, and obsequious bureaucrats.
It's important to pass this on.* With the demand that we do away with the Electoral College and take the popular vote being pushed by the media, etc, all Americans need to know that the Electoral College is working exactly as our Founding Fathers intended.

Just another round of white privileged cheer leading. I happy some Irish guy agrees with your opinion. I'm sure there are plenty that disagree.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...p-to-donald-trump_us_5830b4cfe4b058ce7aab802d
The fact that you are so concerned about people disagreeing and stating their opinion about him only shows your insecurity within your choice. This election has really proved what America truly is and what a lot Americans truly are. Yes there are those of us who do not agree with anything trump stands for and we will deal with it by exercising our rights to free speech and expression. You can search back through this forum and easily find complaining about Obama that has gone on for years. So get used to it we are not going away. We will continue to point out what a pompous spoiled ass that trump really is.
So Deal with It!

Just another round of white privileged cheer leading. I happy some Irish guy agrees with your opinion. I'm sure there are plenty that disagree.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...p-to-donald-trump_us_5830b4cfe4b058ce7aab802d
The fact that you are so concerned about people disagreeing and stating their opinion about him only shows your insecurity within your choice. This election has really proved what America truly is and what a lot Americans truly are. Yes there are those of us who do not agree with anything trump stands for and we will deal with it by exercising our rights to free speech and expression. You can search back through this forum and easily find complaining about Obama that has gone on for years. So get used to it we are not going away. We will continue to point out what a pompous spoiled ass that trump really is.
So Deal with It!
Yea your right about finding plenty of shit about obama.Yea im sure plenty disagree.And they will always be someone who will never be happy.That spoiled pompous ass has done more than that piece of shit obama ever did for us.White privileged.Not hardley.Who would you pick,Or would you just rather exercise your right to be a black cheerleader.We all have our opinions,And beliefs.Im not racist.You do how you want,I will as well

Im more than happy to listen to exactly what he has done already that is more than Obama has done. The opinion on what is good or bad is simply that, a personal opinion. You may agree with Trump however I do not. I agree with Obama you do not that is our rights as Americans. And no,sorry to disappoint Im not a black cheer leader I am a human rights cheer leader. I cheer for whites ,blacks,Asians, middle eastern people or wherever they are from. I know it is hard to believe but there are a lot of Americans that welcome diversity.

Im more than happy to listen to exactly what he has done already that is more than Obama has done. The opinion on what is good or bad is simply that, a personal opinion. You may agree with Trump however I do not. I agree with Obama you do not that is our rights as Americans. And no,sorry to disappoint Im not a black cheer leader I am a human rights cheer leader. I cheer for whites ,blacks,Asians, middle eastern people or wherever they are from. I know it is hard to believe but there are a lot of Americans that welcome diversity.
There are good and bad in every race creed color religion ect.Your opinion is yours,diversity is fine.my opinion of trump and obama differ from yours.Again i ask if you could pick a president,Who would it be? ghandi ?Mabye someone of peace.Good luck in your life,What ever whats best for you.

There are good and bad in every race creed color religion ect.Your opinion is yours,diversity is fine.my opinion of trump and obama differ from yours.Again i ask if you could pick a president,Who would it be? ghandi ?Mabye someone of peace.Good luck in your life,What ever whats best for you.

If I could pick it would prob be Bernie but that is what works for me. I would however like to see more of John Kasich.

Post-Election Analysis - Hillary President of California
We hear a cacophony of blaring and bleating from the media and the Hillary gaggle that she won the popular vote and therefore she should be president, 60,839,497 to 60,265,847.* 47.8% to 47,3% with the remaining 4.9% going to the other candidates.

But here are the facts:

Trump won the popular vote in 31 states to her 19 and DC.* 62% to her 38%.
Trump led in the total popular vote for all states except California.*

Hillary won California 5,860,714 to Trump’s 3,151,821.* 61.6% to 33.1% exclusive of the other candidates. Thus, California gave Hillary the popular vote for all states as claimed by the Democrats and their media stooges.

But deduct her California vote from her national vote leaving her with 54,978,783, and deduct Trump’s California vote from his national total, leaving him with 57,113.976, he wins in a landslide in the other 49 states, 51.3% to her 48.7%.

So, in effect, Hillary was elected president of California and Trump was elected president of the rest of the country by a substantial margin.

This exemplifies the wisdom of the Electoral College, to prevent the vote of any one populace state from overriding the vote of the others. *Without the Electoral College the last election we would have ceased to be the USA and become the nation state of CA.
Trump’s Campaign Manager, Kellyanne Conway, whose expertise is polling, saw this early on and devised her strategy of “6 pathways to the White House”.*

This meant ignoring California with its huge Democrat majority and going after the states*that would give him the necessary electoral votes to win, FL, NC, MI, PA, OH, and WI.

At its lowest point since the civil war!* Could this mean the end of the Democrat Party?* When the afternoon of January 20, 2017 arrives, the Republican Party will have:
1)* The Presidency.
2)* A majority of the House of Representatives.
3)* A majority of the Senate.
4)* Almost two-thirds of all the governorship's.
5)* Total control of the statehouses in almost two-thirds of all the states.* And in the near future, Republicans will be able to add --
6)* A majority of the Supreme Court.
The above has never happened before in American history. Think about that and let it sink in for a moment. And it's all because of one reason:* Barack Obama's forcing his extreme far-left agenda on an unwilling country by executive orders, left wing judges, and obsequious bureaucrats.
It's important to pass this on.* With the demand that we do away with the Electoral College and take the popular vote being pushed by the media, etc, all Americans need to know that the Electoral College is working exactly as our Founding Fathers intended.

It would be tragic for CA to have much say in how the rest of the country runs, look how well the liberals have done over there. It's the most hostile state towards taxpayers and it's still on the brink of bankruptcy. Maybe we should build a wall :rofl_200:

I would go ahead and take some of that Malibu climate though :clapping:

These people have a little different opinion on California

http://uscommonsense.org/research/u...-issues-facing-the-golden-state-wall-of-debt/

“Ultimately, such accounting gimmicks obscure a government’s true financial condition and undermine fiscal transparency by limiting the public’s ability to fairly and accurately evaluate the state’s budgetary and fiscal health.”
The article is from 2014, but the same 400 billion is stated in the following article from last year.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...400-billion-debt-worries-analysts-6812264.php

Either of us has the books, to know what reality is, but I do know there's a long history of manipulating numbers to get a desired outcome. A great example is the Federal governments unemployment rate. Fed says it's 4.7%. They decided to leave out the people that have given up looking for work,etc. The real number is around 10%.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/02/jobs-number-whats-the-real-unemployment-rate.html

Also, as of 2014, Illegal immigration cost California around $25 Billion a year.

Twas the Night Before Inauguration!

Twas the night before Inauguration, and up in the tower,
The Donald reflected on his newfound power.
The conservative masses had come out in force,
And delivered a victory that would chart a new course.
The snowflakes were shell-shocked with tears in their eyes,
The media lied to them . . . What a surprise.
They had been promised a Hillary win,
But the criminal Clinton took one on the chin.
And though from all corners celebrities flew,
They made no impression, for they hadn’t a clue.
They talked about climate, racism, and such,
And they made up good stories . . . But didn’t know much.
The fake news and ignorance came at a cost,
And they can’t understand all the reasons they lost.
They blame it on Comey and Bernie and Vlad,
But fail to acknowledge the one that was bad.
Yes, Hillary Clinton, in many ways flawed,
Was her own biggest hurdle toward getting the nod.
The campaign exposed her corruptness and greed,
And her speeches were punch-less as ten dollar weed.
So out in the streets there arose such a clatter,
It was Soros-paid protestors and Black Lives Matter.
With cities to pillage and windows to smash,
They knew not the issues, but needed the cash.
Eight years of Obama had given them cause,
To expect a replacement of their Santa Claus.
But soon the protestors will feel the pain,
When the wheels fall off of the old gravy train.
And now all the snowflakes are riddled with fear,
Upset and offended by things that they’ll hear.
The cocoa and crayons will help for a while,
But fact-based opinions will soon cramp their style.
I originally supported, and voted, for Cruz,
In the end, I would vote for whoever they choose.
He wasn’t my first choice, but soon I would cede,
The one they call Trump is the one that we need.
I saw him on TV in front of a crowd,
He spoke about veterans, it made me feel proud.
He spoke about energy, safety, and jobs,
Taking this country back from the Washington snobs.
He was dressed in Armani, all tailored and neat,
And the Brunos he wore made the outfit complete.
For a man of his vintage, he seemed rather fit,
And he looked presidential, I have to admit.
His eyes glowed like embers, his smile was the best,
And his hair was the color of my old hunting vest.
His love for this country was on full display,
And his actions spoke louder than his words could say.
He thanked all his voters, and before he was gone,
Saved thousands of jobs while Obama looked on.
The fate of this country left nothing to chance,
So, he filled out his cabinet weeks in advance.
The men he had chosen were of the same mind,
Let’s set the bar high, and not lead from behind.
He picked up his phone as he rose from his seat,
With a flick of his finger, he sent out this tweet;
“Now Mattis!, now Kelly!’ now Sessions! And Pruitt!
On Perry! On Flynn, You’re the ones who can do it.
Start lifting restrictions and building the wall,
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!”;
The roar of his audience rose from the stands,
He kissed all their babies and shook all their hands.
He answered their questions and calmed all their fears,
They knew it would be a fantastic four years.
Then he jumped in his limo, and off to his jet,
A fellow that Liberals won’t soon forget.
He sent one more tweet as the evening expired;
“Happy Inauguration to all,
AND OBAMA – YOU’RE FIRED!”

Great story dave,Two more day's and he's outta there!The dumbocrats are stalling the hell out of his cabinet.Not everyone likes trump.For those who don't,Give him a chance,Hell he's gotta beat obama.It's like life before you have a friend,You get to know them.

Actually California is doing pretty good.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-economies/21697/

Without states like NY and CA, States like GA (my home) and SD would get a lot less federal $.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/which-states-rely-most-federal-aid-0

last time it came up there was a nasty deficit and a robust history of financial mismanagement. I was unaware of the improvement. How much improvement varies wildly with where one looks but it does appear to be an improvement. Point well taken.

Back