aney body fited an 86+ venture gear indicatour to a vmax ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellyear

Reaction score
aney body fited an 86+ venture gear indicatour to a vmax ?:ummm:
should be a straetford swop

I installed a venture differential...I did not know it needed a new gear indicator. that seems like a transmission thing.

the venture gear indicator just replaces the neutral swich on the vmax and makes for a cheap gear indicator with the adishon of sum LEDs

I think finding the display is the trick. The neutral switch swaps right out. The venture one just has more wires since ours only tells us one thing (neutral=y/n).

I believe Sean Morley has the answer to these questions (believe that or not:biglaugh:) and probably has performed it before as well.

Attached is a picture showing wiring LED's with Venture switch plate. This version uses 3 LED's. One for 1st, 3rd & 5th.

Didn't indicate 2nd or 4th. If no LED's lit, it is obvious to me if I am in 2nd or 4th.

I have this on Venture now even with the digital indicator that is on them. Much easier to see at times and I don't have to refocus eyes on dash, and dash can be unreadable with sun at my back.

Revised somewhat see post #11.

Gary

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
My old 1984 CB700SC Nighthawk S had an LCD gear indicator(the small gauge to the bottom right of the tach), which would show 1, N, 2, 3, 4, 5, and OD....I wonder if that could be adapted to work with the Venture gear indicator....

002.jpg

Wiring diagram I posted was for 1st version I had of this after I thought about it.

1st gear was left light, 2 was left two lights, 3rd was center only, 4th was right 2 lights & 5th was tight only.

I changed it later & eliminated diodes and only lit 1, 3 & 5.

With the 3 light, 5 combinations, it took a little more than a glance to visualize gear position, which is why I modified it.

Also relocated LED's under hood on a different cluster so LED's were facing downwards. I didn't get the 1st three in line straight, which annoyed me also. Plastic was crackling in speedo & tach cover, so it was time to change anyways.

Led's I used aren't as bright as they look in last picture, so night riding doesn't bother vision.

Venture Royales have a digital display in computer monitor, last picture lower left of display, bike is sitting in 5th. It's distracting to look down & refocus on a polarized light dash, that doesn't read well if I have polarized sunglasses on or sun is behind me.

Gary

Attachments

• PICT3679.jpg
    PICT3679.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PICT3680.jpg
    PICT3680.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT3681.jpg
    PICT3681.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT3682.jpg
    PICT3682.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT3683.jpg
    PICT3683.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 23
  • PICT0291.JPG
    PICT0291.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 19
Yes, we've done it. the sending unit is a direct swap. I have a custom LED unit with wiring already in hand and trying to get the machine shop to make the new custom handlebar clamp so i can test the product before putting them up for sale.

Yes, we've done it. the sending unit is a direct swap. I have a custom LED unit with wiring already in hand and trying to get the machine shop to make the new custom handlebar clamp so i can test the product before putting them up for sale.

lol, myself, I would just rig up some sort of mount. Kinds out of room on my bars to mount anything, so I'm gonna have to get creative on where I mount stuff.

What we are making is a custom handlebar clamp that has the indicator made into it. Will be slick when we get it ready.

attachment.php

attachment.php

plenty of litel gages under 2 inces out there thats the ezy bit

Attachments

• Free_shipping_2inch_12_24v_motorcycle_car_fuel_gauge_LED_electronic_disply_AD_030_3.jpg_200x200.jpg
    Free_shipping_2inch_12_24v_motorcycle_car_fuel_gauge_LED_electronic_disply_AD_030_3.jpg_200x200.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 57
  • motorcycle-gear-shift-indicator-3.jpg
    motorcycle-gear-shift-indicator-3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 58
Back