another A/F carb tuning thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder whats the difference in doing:

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3847&highlight=tune+needle

"Main jets have little or nothing to do with fuel mileage unless you are riding above 7500 rpm all of the time .
Fuel mileage is mainly a result of..... in order of importance
# 1 Float bowl fuel level...17mm...never over or higher than 16.5 mm
#2 Mixture screw settings... As lean as possible . Set up your carbs...then take a ride and adjusting each carb one at a time . With the engine at operating temperature Start with one carb and turn in the mixture screw a very very small amount at a time ....turn it in a hair..then ride it . Turn it in some more then ride on ....keep doing this until the carb starts to spit back when you accelerate or take off from a stop...then back out the screw a bit at a time till it stops spitting ....When done go to the next carb ....it takes a while to do this . I just carried a small screw driver in my pocket for a few rides and kept working with the screws . This is how we get over 40 mpg . When it is right the bike will be cold natured to start even in the middle of Summer and will idle smooth when warm . I always just smile when someone tells me how well their bike is in tune because it does not need the choke to start .
#3 Needle setting or depth and the condition of the needle and its receiving jet . Stock is stock....If your needles are adjustable then if ....White in color retainer ...1.5 to 2nd notch...beige in color 2.5 to 3 . is a good setting starting point with an open exhaust .
#4 Fresh spark plugs....use the stock plugs and change them at least every other oil change....I do mine every oil change ...They are cheap and the bike runs crisp
# 5 a good and perfect valve adjustment helps a lot too if they are out....it also makes tuning easier if all the cylinders are making equal pressure as a result of valve adjustment
As you can see....Main jets are not in the picture . If your main are Mikuni jets ....160 is way too big for your set up ....but if they are DynoJets they are just about right on .
With this set up you too can get over 40 mpg cruising at 80 mph + My bike with stg 7 got an average of between 130 to 140 miles to the red light all the time . Even hammering on it all the time in the mountains got well over a 100 miles to the light It is a matter of keeping it in tune ."

vs.

Just letting the bike stand still, idle and rev it, while tuning the mixture screws in #2.

Would it actually be any difference?

Back