Another Bike --> FJ1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
So i'm still here in Hungary for a few more years, and I HAD to have a [real] bike, so I bought a 1988 Yamaha FJ1200. I got it for about $2,000. Anything over 600cc here gets really expensive. I saw only 1 V-Max in the country, and it was a first-gen for $12,000.

This thing runs really good, but I still miss my '85 V-Max in the U.S.

Imagine trying to get insurance and registration, not knowing the Hungarian language! Most of the offices had an English interpreter. The hardest part was finding the offices.

** UDATED PICTURES **
FJ1200-1.jpg

FJ1200_2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking FJ. They can be really made to run fast. There was another part time member on here that specializes in them. Rod something

Sean

Looks GREAT!

Looks like it could use some 4 pot calipers and larger rotors though... lol Sorry couldn't resist.

That little 50cc thing you posted earlier just wasn't cutting it? I can see how one would get bored of a bike like that in short order.

You mean the equivalent of $12k US dollars, or $12k Hungarian whoosiwhatsits?

Still, the FJ's were fun bikes. Not a substitute for the Max in raw power and acceleration, but no slouch either.

That little 50cc thing you posted earlier just wasn't cutting it? I can see how one would get bored of a bike like that in short order.

You mean the equivalent of $12k US dollars, or $12k Hungarian whoosiwhatsits?

Still, the FJ's were fun bikes. Not a substitute for the Max in raw power and acceleration, but no slouch either.

The 50cc scooter turned into my son's bike. I'm training him now. He's 15. I've been fixing it up with replacing missing panels, etc. - the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

The V-Max was the equivalent of $12,000 U.S. dollars. Cruisers are generally about $2,000 more expensive than the same bike in the U.S.

I updated the pictures on the first post. If you don't see them, click "refresh."

After the first week of riding, the clutch started slipping, left fork seal leaks, and the left brake caliper leaks. The rear suspension felt very spongy, so after removal of the side cover, I discovered a Kawasaki air shock! Really! My parents are coming to visit soon, so I bought a bunch of parts that they will bring with them. Yes - a rear shock and clutch set. I have no where else to get parts from. THANKS Dad and Mom!!! :wink2:

So can you feel the spoiler on the back fender at higher speeds? lol J/K

Much better pics...

Air shock? Weird...

Chris

I had a 1990 FJ1200 back in the mid-90s. Great bike to get back into riding again. Good Luck with yours!

Latest posts

Back