Another clutch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktordg

Reaction score
Hello
I'm sure this is in here somewhere I just couldn't find it. I'm interested in replacing the half disc with a full disc and using an EBC heavy duty spring in place of the stock spring. What I need to know is what else do I leave out when putting it back together??

Hello
I'm sure this is in here somewhere I just couldn't find it. I'm interested in replacing the half disc with a full disc and using an EBC heavy duty spring in place of the stock spring. What I need to know is what else do I leave out when putting it back together??
The snap ring is left out, you probably know already. Be sure to index everything per the manual. The pressure plate bolts are easy to over tighten and will snap. The steels usually can be scuffed up with scotch-brite and reused if not burnt blue.

You can leave out parts 4,5,6 if you want. You have to with true DD I believe. Since you are just replacing a single spring, they can stay.

1633180175223.png

The snap ring is left out, you probably know already. Be sure to index everything per the manual. The pressure plate bolts are easy to over tighten and will snap. The steels usually can be scuffed up with scotch-brite and reused if not burnt blue.
I have the torque wrench so I'm going to use that along with the blue loctite. I want to see how to clutch feels with just the heavy duty spring first.

60% stronger. Echo Steve-o’s comment on preparing yourself. Had to tighten handlebar fasteners once front wheel came down on my ‘ol ‘89.
Jeez lol. The front end was lifting under acceleration already and that's with my clutch engaging at the end..this might be to much fun..

DD mod added to completely stock clutch… has anyone ever had one slip? The lever pull isn’t difficult( firmer than stock, yes) and more “how” a vmax should feel. IMO

My favored config as well. Beats the heck out of DD (that I had in a 94). Morley can set you up.
So I should be able to just leave out the snap ring replace the half plate with a whole one and use the heavier diaphragm spring.. sounds like a plan..I'll try this when my new steel plates arrive and give an update.. thanks for all the input

DD mod added to completely stock clutch… has anyone ever had one slip? The lever pull isn’t difficult( firmer than stock, yes) and more “how” a vmax should feel. IMO
Adding new spring to old possibly 30% strong spring gives you 1.3 strength from new one. Not needed, manufacturers are not idiots (most of the time)
Specs for Vulcan 1500 spring(looks like Vmax spring) is 4mm(?) height, old one was 2mm, new HD Barnett was 6 mm.

Stock clutch slipped with synthetic, tried DD first with intention of adding new friction plates. No more slip… ever. Do I still need a new clutch?

Stock clutch slipped with synthetic, tried DD first with intention of adding new friction plates. No more slip… ever. Do I still need a new clutch?
I guess "stock clutch" means 30 years old spring? Of course it was slipping!!!! Springs re compressed all the time, ride or not!!! After 15-30 years any compressed spring loses tension. Usually (90%?) only spring needs replacement, discs are fine.

Cool. Yes, stock clutch and 30k miles. Lol. Next week I’ll call Morley about a new clutch pack. I just thought I try it before I tore into the clutch.

Just reread noticed you said “disks are fine”. I would assume if friction plates were completely worn out, it would slip no matter how many pressure plates u added.

Update..
Hey everybody thanks for the advice you all gave on this thread. Just wanted to show doing the clutch mod now the first picture is the factory spring side by side with the heavy duty EBC spring can definitely see a difference in the thickness. Also just a tip what you all probably already know if you're having problems finding the sharp side of your clutch plates look for the shiny marks where the factory ground off the sharp edge. I put all my rounded edges on my clutch plates and steel plates facing out. My original clutch wasn't in bad shape so I kept the best full disc from that to eliminate the half disc.

20211010_142628.jpg20211010_142723.jpg20211010_142735_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back