Another coolant leak :(

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
My bike is starting to leak coolant from the elbow where it goes into the water pump, any special trick to no damaging the elbow? Should I rebuild the water pump while I'm at it?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

My bike is starting to leak coolant from the elbow where it goes into the water pump, any special trick to no damaging the elbow? Should I rebuild the water pump while I'm at it?

Remove the thermostat housing underneath the radiator and you can simply slide the elbow out.

Other way round might also be an option, remove the water pump but then you need new gaskets. I`ve never rebuilt the pump so I can't give you advice there.

Good luck!

How many miles on this water pump? Might be worth to inspect it.

Yep, I wouldn't bother with the pump. Last one lasted 70,000 miles on the old bike

Yep, I wouldn't bother with the pump. Last one lasted 70,000 miles on the old bike

Sweet, I'll just order O rings for it then and get it sealed up. Thanks guys!

I would tap on the elbow with the rubber mallet first. Many times this helps the orings reseat.

I would tap on the elbow with the rubber mallet first. Many times this helps the orings reseat.

Thanks Sean!! I'll give that a shot, it's just barely weeping so hopefully that'll work.

127,000 on mine, and the pump seems fine. No sign of leakage at all... Once in a while I get a bit from the plastic cap thingy over the thermostat.. Irritating, but not enough to bother with. Only does it at Thunder, oddly - maybe because that's the longest straight run I take on the Max.. Around town, nothing..

Back