Another dealer rip off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ripped off is right! All 4 carbs were "bad"! I'll bet the mechanic is selling them on Ebay right now. And who was it on the forum that could tell it was a 92 and not a 93 just by looking at the picture??

It's not a 93 for sure and even a 92 is doubtful. Besides the obvious fork being the early model (the easy part to spot), the engine covers are black accented. Most of those years up to about 95 were gold accented (look at the valve covers, rotor inserts, etc....)

They had black in 85/86 but I can't remember what year they went gold (want to say 90). The engine is for sure 95 or older. The wheels are 88 or newer. Forks are 85-92. Side covers are 90 and up. Engine has either been painted or swapped or a combo of the two. Clutch and Stator inserts should be two toned.

Looks like it's been down at least once. Maybe not hard but at least on the left side. Got some different crash gaurds then I normally see. A pair of ancient holeshot slip-ons.

Oh, and you don't "adjust" the clutch.

Sean

There's a hell of a lot of "CHECKING & ADJUSTING" going on there....all that writing on the bill looks good if you don't read it! :rofl_200:

Looks to me like all he really got (other than a good screwing) was an oil change....and of course, the mandatory 'test drive'!!

Wonder how they "Checked the shaft drive"? Prolly put it in gear, it wouldn't roll forward so...."Yup, shaft's in there all right!!"

i have the same set of crash guards, got 'em off naughtyG's parts bike. P/C them and they blend right in.

but yea it doesn't all fit does it.

Wonder how they "Checked the shaft drive"? Prolly put it in gear, it wouldn't roll forward so...."Yup, shaft's in there all right!!"

prolly like, "hmm, no sprockets, no chain..... Shaft is good"

Either this guy is full of it, or the dealer just royally screwed a 63-year-old rider who didn't know very much about his bike. All the different years of parts on the thing, like Sean mentioned, I'd love to see if there was a carfax report done on it, or if it was a backyard repair.

If the bike runs well now then it really doesn't matter what combination of parts it has on it. It's just sad that the stealer reamed him so bad. Probably just needed floats set correctly and PAJ1's cleaned out.

Sean

Not to hijack - as this is semi-related:

As a young lad, I used to take my car to the mechanic that my dad had been going to for 20 years. The guy was nice enough, and was always busy. I continued bringing him my car (before I decided I would do my own work on cars). I had him do tune ups for 3 years. Every spring he would change my spark plugs, amongst other things.

I moved away after that the 3rd year, and I began having a problem at highway speeds. I would the engine jerk, very quickly, like a stutter.

I brought the car to a friends backyard mechanic (he works in a mechanic shop during the day as his job, and at home does it on the side). He told me to pick up spark plugs and wires - and so I did. He seemed to know what the problem was already.

So when he pulled the plugs - my front plugs (easy to get to) were changed. The rear plugs (harder to get to) had not been changed - in a long time. They were not the same brand - and were in horrible condition.

My trusted mechanic had only been replacing the easiest plugs - while charging me the parts and labor for the other 3 that he never installed - for three years.
I have since had all my work done by this backyard guy - who actually shows me what he's going to the car - and insists I take the old parts home with me (so I can the see the work done AND he doesn't have to have all these dirty broken parts in his garage :)

I have since had all my work done by this backyard guy - who actually shows me what he's going to the car - and insists I take the old parts home with me (so I can the see the work done AND he doesn't have to have all these dirty broken parts in his garage :)

Any decent mechanic or shop is going to at least show you parts he replaced, etc. This poor guy got reamed...

His mechanic...is a shit bag.He deserves to have an almost 70 year old man beat his ass.Sure alot of companys will snipe an extra few bucks worth of labor here or there or whatever but this is absolute crap.I want this mechanics shop information so we can go do a sting operation on it!

Latest posts

Back