Another flaming pile of Harley Davidson?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly knew it wouldn't restart, and also not wanting to ask for a push start...........left it's engine running while filling.

My first thought was Ghost Rider lives.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Taken at Boxenstopp's VMax Emporium, Holly Hill (Daytona, baby!) FL before Joe Rauff's unfortunate accident and operation. That's Joe's wife on the right.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 107.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 107.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 154
Leaving the engine running, using auto-fill - all part of the "cool factor".
I see a lot of riders stay on the seat while filling their bikes...again very cool, but not the place to be if you have to move fast, because of a fire, runaway vehicle, etc.
stay safe!

My guess is he did not really expect it to stay running without the throttle blip about every one Mississippi.

Sucks he got hurt but sometimes people have common sense, other times there is an unpleasant lesson that needs to be learned.

It is my understanding his music was turned up and on as well as the motor left running. Guess he wanted to hear that last song all the way through. He may not have heard or seen the tank overflowing . Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

I'm surprised we wasn't smoking a cigarette as well. Watched people waking around the pumps with a lit cig or even the employees stepping out of the center booth to smoke! I will say something and leave to gas up somewhere else. ( I do report it to the owner and then the fire marshal if they are employees) Caught two guys smoking next to the propane dispenser!

I was filling up at a gas station south of the Ft. Lauderdale FL airport. A kid in a ratty pickup pulled into the island next to me, he began pumping. I noticed he had a steady rapid drip from his gas tank pooling gas under his truck, so I whipped out my cellphone and filmed it. He had gone inside the store for something, and when he came back, I confronted him on camera about the leak, He couldn't care less. I called 911 because as he pulled away, he was trailing a wet stream of gas on the pavement. You know how most cigarette smokers just throw their lit cigarette onto the ground wherever they happen to be after their last puff, not bothering to stub it out, or to discard it appropriately (maybe different where they have droughts)? You can imagine the surprised look if one of those inconsiderate smokers pulled into the pump and threw their butt down, only to have their vehicle erupt into flames!

Last edited:
Not to dismiss you guys but I think the chances of a cigarette igniting gasoline is very slim. Possible? Yes. Not probable though.

Leaving the engine running, using auto-fill - all part of the "cool factor".
I see a lot of riders stay on the seat while filling their bikes...again very cool, but not the place to be if you have to move fast, because of a fire, runaway vehicle, etc.
stay safe!

Yah,would be kinda hard to gas up a vmax while sitting on the seat!!

You're right that it isn't like they show in the movies where someone flicks a lit cigarette into the gas and hades erupts. It's the vapor which ignites not the pool.

Not to dismiss you guys but I think the chances of a cigarette igniting gasoline is very slim. Possible? Yes. Not probable though.

If a cigarette fell onto the ground, rolled over onto a match and the cherry ignited the match you may have a problem. If you threw a lit cigarette into a pale of gasoline it would likely just go out as if thrown into water. But It could conceivably become a catalyst. The act of lighting the cig is a different story.

In the movies they to often have a cigar or cig and it makes me laugh every time, the best movie way is for a guy trapped in a car/tied up, doused in gasoline begging for his life and some one else comes up, lights a Zippo, then his smoke, utters an ultra-cool one liner and flings the still burning Zippo into the guys lap and walks away calmly to the victims blood curdling shreaks. Aint Hollywood something?

In HS, the father of a close friend was lying on the ground under his Ford station wagon while it was on jackstands. He was using its tranny pan filled with gasoline to clean parts of the inner tranny area. He was smoking while washing the parts in the gas. Smelling the gas, I nearly chit my pants, and told him so. In response, Mr Saker then extinguished the cigarette in the trans pan of gas!

That's the day I learned it takes an open flame to ignite gas, or it's fumes. I never plan to demonstrate that to anyone - ever.

Back