Another leaky Carb. (Float not sticking)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KneeDragger

Reaction score
Ok, I have been searching and searching. Everyone keeps saying for gas to come out of the top vent tube is a stuck float. I have pulled the rack and cleaned them, twice. I have also switches the float valve with the one next door and it's still leaking.
Could the float itself not be floating?? It's not like it's those old brass floats...

I don't even have to turn the engine over, when I turn the key the fuel pump goes and overfills that one carb. Any other ideas? I was going to swap the float with the one next to it and see if the issue moves to the next carb. But I got fed up lol..
Where should I go from here? What else can cause that?

I would remove the carbs and drain the bowls. Remove hose from fuel inlet. You should be able to blow into it and hear air coming out of vent. Now, turn carb upside down and repeat. You shouldn't be able to blow at all.

Ok, my breath may smell like gas now, but when I turned it upside down and blew I could still blow. So my float is not closing the valve. I checked the position of the float the way I read.
That is to close the valve but NOT compress the spring, it should be level with the curve of the circle correct? And it was indeed higher than that.
So I should simply bend the float, uhh, valve presser thing (name anyone) gently until the circle is level with the float, correct?

Either that or fuel is getting past the float needle valve. I would repeat this but remove the float bowl cover. I've seen the cover bind against the float before due to the float hinge pin being slightly bent. Also, make sure the needle valve has the clip/wire on and secured. This is what the float tang pushes against to open/close the valve.

You turn the carb upside down and make sure the top of the float is even with moon circle on the jet block. I don't do this because the moons are different from block to block so I measure with a digital caliper and ensure each float is 1.125 inches from the inside of the bowl.

is it a worn needle or seat.....how does tip of needle look compaired to the others

The float was getting hung up, The pivot was slightly bent. No more gas all over the damn place. Now that thats sorted I have to get it to idle, as soon as the choke goes off it dies lol. More searching.

The float was getting hung up, The pivot was slightly bent. No more gas all over the damn place. Now that thats sorted I have to get it to idle, as soon as the choke goes off it dies lol. More searching.

You need to re-sync after dismantling the carbs, I've often seen this where it's impossible to get it to idle (either dies or races to high rpm) when the sync is way off.

Ok, I have been searching and searching. Everyone keeps saying for gas to come out of the top vent tube is a stuck float. I have pulled the rack and cleaned them, twice. I have also switches the float valve with the one next door and it's still leaking.
Could the float itself not be floating?? It's not like it's those old brass floats...

I don't even have to turn the engine over, when I turn the key the fuel pump goes and overfills that one carb. Any other ideas? I was going to swap the float with the one next to it and see if the issue moves to the next carb. But I got fed up lol..
Where should I go from here? What else can cause that?
Hi did you ever find out what was causing your problem because I am having the same problem. I have stripped the carbs down several times and works fine for a couple of days then petrol starts leaking out of one carb. When I open my air filter box I can see petrol overflowing into one carb sames as yours when I turn my ignition on

I suspect the float needle seat has some deposits on it which is keeping it open, you may need to replace the seat, not too-hard. You're sure the float needle is OK?

Latest posts

Back