Another noob question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGSAM

Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased the VMAX as their first bike?

I have not riden since my teen years (now in my late 30's) and I am not into buying and trading up. I have been told that cruisers are more "forgiving" than street bikes.

What has been your experience?

Sam.

I wouldnt say the VMAX is less forgiving.

Let me ask you this.
If you were to travel on the same road in 2 different cases.
1) in a porsche carerra
2) in a Peterbilt Tractor Trailer

Your coming into a turn to fast, what would you think is your best chance of making it when you hit the brakes and have to take the turn?

Your cruising down the road minding your own buisness and all of a sudden a car pulls out in front of you?
What vehichle do you think we be able to avoid this object in a last second attempt?

With a sport bike the brakes are much better and have a shorter stopping distance than the VMAX.
With a sport bike they have much better suspension and the tires are designed for handling, the VMAX has low speed rated tires and are bias ply.
A sport bikes frame uses start of the art aircraft aluminum and has been designed with up to date mechanical engineer software.
The VMAX frame was designed over 24 yrs ago and has flex.

I will; let you decide what is more forgiving, whereever you got the information that a 24 yr old technoligy bike that has the accleration of todays sport bikes is more forgiving to an inexpierenced rider most likely has never sat on a motorcycle.

I wouldnt sell my VMAX to you!

But you can spend a couple of thousand dollars to make it better.

A VMAX is a muscle cruiser, almost like would you hand the keys to a 1967 Big Block GTO over to a new driver?
Its your money, and I am sure some will say that its a tame bike,, BS this bike makes alot of torque when you get on the gas and shoots up to 75 MPH very quickly and before you know it your coming into a turn which the VMAX will decide if it wants to take it or not.

I'll bite on this one.

I thought cruisers WERE street bikes. And NO, I didn't come out of the motorcycle riding class and get straight on my Vmax. I had several other bikes over the years until the 1985 Vmax was introduced. I've owned mine ever since.

I have found my Vmax extremely 'forgiving'. It has forgiven me for riding it hard. It has forgiven me for putting it away wet. It has forgiven me for forgetting to wax it often enough. It has forgiven me for parking it on a lot with Harleys. It has forgiven me for outrunning the PD and/or Highpo's on many occasions. It forgave me that time I had to run up the mountain in Spearfish Canyon faster than that silly fool on his 2300CC triple whatever (Triumph Rockit III?) when the guy foolishly accelerated in a vain attempt at keeping us from going around him. It has even forgiven me for putting that nasty ex-wife on the back a few times in years gone by.

All in all, I'd say my Vmax is very forgiving whether you refer to it as a cruiser or a street bike. I have always referred to it as a 'street brawler'. :biglaugh:

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm sorry. When I say cruisers I am referring to bikes such as the VTX, the shadow. the mean streak and the like. I don't put the VMAX in that vein. If I am wrong please correct me without the internet roadrash but I'll take what ever I get.

Thanks. Sam.

well if you ride it like you are scared of it and know it can kill you then it is a easy bike to ride. If you own it for a week and decide you are ready for the circut you are in big trouble. I have seen both cases. if you stay someplace in the middle you will be OK. My vmax is not my first bike but I went about 15 years with out a bike when I bought my 06 vmax. I got used to my bike for awhile before I started leaning on it a little. Now i am someplace in the middle of what I described to you..good luck.

I was in the same boat your in. I bought my first max this past spring. Its been 20 years since my last bike. Now im 38, it was time to get back to what i enjoy. I was nervous the first time i rode the max because of how bad ass it was. I say get back on it, respect the bike for what it can do, and have fun. You wont be disappointed.

Mike

Bikes are like guns in someway... treat them with respect and all is well, no respect will bring you trouble.
The Max has a lot of power for a small twist of the wrist. If you're not ready or preapred you'll get into trouble real quick.

Tfisher, MJ, 2stangs I really appreciate your responses. I was hoping to hear some comments just like that. Believe me I know how take my time and work my way up the scale. Thanks.

Sam.

Tfisher, MJ, 2stangs I really appreciate your responses. I was hoping to hear some comments just like that. Believe me I know how take my time and work my way up the scale. Thanks.

Sam.

Sounds like we got a future max rider!! Welcome aboard.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Mike

Ive ridden lots of bikes in my time alot and i did say alot of hours in the saddle . When the Vmax 1st came out i wanted 1 but my dad wouldnt let me . now 23 years later i have a 92 which is slowly getting tidied up into excellent condition and dad now in a wheelchair couldnt be happier , this coming from a man that used to ride with Burt Munro (the worlds fastest indian) good movie worth a watch .

To put the Vmax in perspective the 4 wheel comparison would be a Viper .:clapping:

Welcome Sam, the operative word is "respect." A motorcycle with the power and acceleration of the v max demands respect. Keep that in mind, and you'll be fine.
Once you get used to your max (if you decide that's the way you're going to go) you will want to play a little bit, that's normal, it's why we buy these things. Just pick your play spots carefully, you can get in over your head very quickly.

I went from dirtbikes to a '78 gs 550 that wouldn't break 100mph. 7 year span of no riding, to a 06 vmax this july. I didn't feel over my head at all. Just taking it easy in the turns a bit, no peg scraping yet. Although triple digit speeds are part of every ride once the engine is warmed up. Don't be afraid of the bike, that gets you into trouble. Do have respect for the bike. If your really worried, stay below 7K rpm for the first couple rides. Its really well behaved bike at modest speeds (minus the decel wobble on mine, don't take hands off the bars between 55-40 mph decel)

I expect a measure of heat on this one, but I appreciated the advice I received when I made the decision to ride.
I love the V-Max as well. I too considered it as my first bike. However, I have one friend and also a workmate who own a Max. Both of them counseled that this is not a bike for newb's. Therefore I opted to gain some experience on a bike that would assist the development of my skill.
15, 000 K's later, I sold my classic cruiser and finally got the bike I'd always wanted, and still have today.

With the max, there is lots to consider. The issue is not only the horsepower, but also the handling. Remember, this bike has literally been duplicated for 20+ years. They simply haven't changed. The suspension is very unforgiving. And while the bike is easy to ride in a straight line, there are occasions where one has to 'fight' this beast to commit in a corner.
Don't make the mistake and reason that even though the technology is old, it was good enough 23 years ago. The reality is, that back in 85 when they introduced this monster, it wasn't marketed as a beginner bike...it was marketed as a bike that pushed the envelope...and that it did.

One has to realize that this bike needs to be 'massaged' by someone who has already developed the skill to make it go where HE wants it to go, not where IT wants to go. You will attain these skills on a bike designed to be more responsive to your direction, and less responsive to your mistakes.

Just my .02.

I expect a measure of heat on this one, but I appreciated the advice I received when I made the decision to ride.
I love the V-Max as well. I too considered it as my first bike. However, I have one friend and also a workmate who own a Max. Both of them counseled that this is not a bike for newb's. Therefore I opted to gain some experience on a bike that would assist the development of my skill.
15, 000 K's later, I sold my classic cruiser and finally got the bike I'd always wanted, and still have today.

With the max, there is lots to consider. The issue is not only the horsepower, but also the handling. Remember, this bike has literally been duplicated for 20+ years. They simply haven't changed. The suspension is very unforgiving. And while the bike is easy to ride in a straight line, there are occasions where one has to 'fight' this beast to commit in a corner.
Don't make the mistake and reason that even though the technology is old, it was good enough 23 years ago. The reality is, that back in 85 when they introduced this monster, it wasn't marketed as a beginner bike...it was marketed as a bike that pushed the envelope...and that it did.

One has to realize that this bike needs to be 'massaged' by someone who has already developed the skill to make it go where HE wants it to go, not where IT wants to go. You will attain these skills on a bike designed to be more responsive to your direction, and less responsive to your mistakes.

Just my .02.

Pretty good advice I think,,

I have several friends who still have Vmax's and have acquired various sport bikes, and when they have offered for me to ride through the twisties in Bandera I usually reply that I'm scared of effin thier bike up and that I won't ride anything I can't buy out of pocket...

Being Max riders as well nearly every one of them replies that if you can handle a poorly handling max (relatively) then you can handle any sportbike....

I don't think it's a beginner bike either, but rider maturity probably has more to do with it than anything else,

After all, no bike will go any faster than you twist the throttle...

Well guys last March 2007 I wanted a bike BAD. I asked a few co-workers that had bikes which way I should lean. There question was what have I rid'in before. Well, I am 40 and never rid'in a bike except my senior year my father had a honda 150 that I rode to school once in a while. BUT I have always wanted a bike and either the women I was with would say "NO they will KILL you" or I didn't have the money. Anyways I hate to admit this now BUT I was close to buying a harley until my good freind "Ron" showed me the picture of the 2007 V-Max. I was warned by other riders and the salesman that this bike could really hurt me if I didn't watch myself (or the V-max). My first couple times on the bike I was apprehensive. Then with my friends (mostly Ron) I got to understand my girl (ALMTY). I respect her and she takes care of me. I have gotten hurt once on my girl but I put that blame on myself and the semi that stopped in front of me. No matter what bike I would have been on the same thing would have happened. You respect the bike and know your parameters and you should be fine with the V-Max......Sam:punk: Also the V-Max rider seems to be a rare breed that said I'll let you decide

I also took a hiatus from bikes. Career, house, woman... Oh well I regained my desire to ride and picked up a V-MAX. Very sedate around town, it rocks WOT, but these things really don't handle. You want to rail some twisties get a sport bike. That said every Harley I have rode was as bad or often much worse in the handling department. Rediculess considering their prices. The V-Rod I rode was the sole exception, but again for the price no revalation. This thing (85 MAX) is like owning a 70 big block Chevelle. Brutal in a straight line and lots of fun. Compared to the Chevelle a 2002 WS6 Transam is a whole-nother level though. Both are cool. Don't ride over your head, take it slow, and the V-MAX is fine for an experienced level headed rider, even one that has been away for a while. A total new guy should go elsewhere, and that would apply to most high horsepower bikes.

Latest posts

Back