Another Plug Thread.. Remove OEM? Replace?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
When I bought Karma last year she didn't come with the kit under the seat. What is the best and easiest way to remove my plugs? I've heard OEM Plugs are the way to go. I can't use the Search engine on the VMF with this so called top of the line cell phone.:bang head:

KarmaKatt

I use an 18mm socket for the plugs (18 I think), and 2 inch extension and rachet. Once the plugs are loose, I take the socket off, and get a 12 inch piece of 3/8 inch fuel line and put that on the plug, and use that to twist the plug loose (because you can twist it to a 90 degree angle giving yourself lots of room)

For the new plug (after its gapped, and anti-seize) put the fuel line back on it, and reverse. The good thing about the fuel line, is that if it starts to cross thread ANY, the fuel line will spin, but the plug wont move anymore, so it wont tear anything up.

This is how I do it...and there might be better ways out there to do it.

I use an 18mm socket for the plugs (18 I think), and 2 inch extension and rachet. Once the plugs are loose, I take the socket off, and get a 12 inch piece of 3/8 inch fuel line and put that on the plug, and use that to twist the plug loose (because you can twist it to a 90 degree angle giving yourself lots of room)

For the new plug (after its gapped, and anti-seize) put the fuel line back on it, and reverse. The good thing about the fuel line, is that if it starts to cross thread ANY, the fuel line will spin, but the plug wont move anymore, so it wont tear anything up.

And that's why ladies and gents he's got that award...
Cheers buddy!

Lee

Traumahawk has a good process, I'm gonna have to steal that :) I usually don't use antiseize on my plugs because I change them quite a bit... Everything I've read on here as far as reliability and even the other guys that I know that race quite a bit all use the stock NGK's, I've sprayed 80hp of nitrous on mine and they still look great.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Some 18mm sockets won't fit if they are too thick walled....gotta make sure to get a thin one. If you use the never seize, make sure to put it on the threads only!

There isn't Eric, that is the best way to thread a plug in on anything. A lot of twin inboards on small boats (big block GM 's in a 29' Tiara), you can't even see the outboard plugs. The boss wanted them changed just as fast as the ones you can access easy. 15 minutes per head(pricks). That's the way we did it. I've seen a few Vmax plugs cracked from owners using an automotive socket-they're too long . The Yamaha tool kit, socket and wrench work great for breaking them loose or tightening them.
Steve-o

Just to make sure everyone knows the first step to changing any spark plug is to blow the head off in the plug area with air and make sure nothing will fall into the cyclinder. Im sure alot of you all ready know this but some might not.

Just to make sure everyone knows the first step to changing any spark plug is to blow the head off in the plug area with air and make sure nothing will fall into the cyclinder. Im sure alot of you all ready know this but some might not.
Excellent point.

just to make sure everyone knows the first step to changing any spark plug is to blow the head off in the plug area with air and make sure nothing will fall into the cyclinder. Im sure alot of you all ready know this but some might not.

+1

Back