Another polishing question .

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
I polished my Yamaha emblem today off the front end today and considering that it looked like shit when i started it turned out not bad . Now im thinking the Scoops are next . Now i have researched the threads on this one and was wondering as a couple of Vmaxxers have done this using a sander verses doing it by hand . Out of everyone that has done this what do you think ?
Sorry no before pic ( im kicking myself on this as they were shit ) .
Couldnt find any jewelers rouge here so used Mothers Aluminium Polish then attack with California Customs Purple Polish .

Attachments

• polished 002.jpg
    polished 002.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 66
Looks good Matt, now you're ready to do the scoops. Would you like me to send a bunch of stuff of mine to practice on lol ?:eusa_dance:

I did what you did - polished the front piece by hand. Took a while , but it came out nice. Tried that on my scoops as well, but ended up using an electric high speed buffer with Mothers & jeweler's rouge. They came out nice as well, but I can't imagine how long it would take to hand polish both scoops.

I did what you did - polished the front piece by hand. Took a while , but it came out nice. Tried that on my scoops as well, but ended up using an electric high speed buffer with Mothers & jeweler's rouge. They came out nice as well, but I can't imagine how long it would take to hand polish both scoops.
I did and, it takes as almost as long as it does for your fingers to fall off your hand LOL. but, they come nice and smooth but, you have keep after them because they are exposed to everything.
<<Dave>>:punk:

A good (made with 100% carnuba wax) wax will really help protect them. Keep in mind such waxes are VERY expensive but once you see what they do to your paint you won't care! lol

I use ONLY:
www.adamspolishes.com

Here's a project I set out on a couple of weeks ago on the boat... These are speaker pods... The before picture was after cleaning it with detail spray but before the metal polish and also before the two coats of Adams Americana Paste wax.

Before.......................After.....................My Car

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 57
  • G8GT Adams Shine 4.jpg
    G8GT Adams Shine 4.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 57
A good (made with 100% carnuba wax) wax will really help protect them. Keep in mind such waxes are VERY expensive but once you see what they do to your paint you won't care! lol

I use ONLY:
www.adamspolishes.com

Here's a project I set out on a couple of weeks ago on the boat... These are speaker pods... The before picture was after cleaning it with detail spray but before the metal polish and also before the two coats of Adams Americana Paste wax.

Before.......................After.....................My Car

Yeah , a friend on mine a die hard biker this guy has racked up over 150000kms on his beamer told me polish all your chrome as you should only do this once then wax it in a good quality wax .
Works a treat especially when you can see yourself in the pic you just took
:clapping::punk::clapping::punk:

I just finished one of mine this afternoon. You really have to take your time. It's not something you can half-a$$ and get a good finish. I did mine over the winter, but I had bad lighting doing it and I had some scratches I needed to get out. This time I did it in the Sun. You will see every little inperfection in the metal, and your work. I added a couple of pics. They were taken in the Sun and with my cell phone. Not great pictures but you get the idea.

The 1st two are after 400 grit sanding, and the last two are after buffing.

Eventually I will be getting a set from Sean Morley "Chrome" ya know!

Just figure on taking your time and go through each step making sure you get the previous steps sanding marks out.

Best of luck with it!

Attachments

• after 400#1.jpg
    after 400#1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 36
  • after 400.jpg
    after 400.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00103-20090520-1817.jpg
    IMG00103-20090520-1817.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG00104-20090520-1818.jpg
    IMG00104-20090520-1818.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 38
I just finished one of mine this afternoon. You really have to take your time. It's not something you can half-a$$ and get a good finish. I did mine over the winter, but I had bad lighting doing it and I had some scratches I needed to get out. This time I did it in the Sun. You will see every little inperfection in the metal, and your work. I added a couple of pics. They were taken in the Sun and with my cell phone. Not great pictures but you get the idea.

The 1st two are after 400 grit sanding, and the last two are after buffing.

Eventually I will be getting a set from Sean Morley "Chrome" ya know!

Just figure on taking your time and go through each step making sure you get the previous steps sanding marks out.

Best of luck with it!

Nice , I have started doing mine . just got round the inserts to do at the front on 320 grit . I did have a question but looks like its just the norm .
Was gonna ask how you can sand the Yamaha name indents ? :ummm:

Nice , I have started doing mine . just got round the inserts to do at the front on 320 grit . I did have a question but looks like its just the norm .
Was gonna ask how you can sand the Yamaha name indents ? :ummm:

Use a Dremel.

Finally put all the bits back on the Max today , i reckon its looking good .
My question is when washing the bike do i leave the scoops on then really dry them after or do i take them off and put back on after Max has been washed .
What do you guys do that have polished aluminium ? :ummm:

I leave them on, wash and blow it off with a leaf blower. I normally put on a coat of wax just to protect them after each wash.

Shane

Also debatting wether to polish the grab rail , i would be interested on what they come out like . Has anyone done theres ?:ummm:

Mine's going in for chroming tomorrow for the 88, I could price it if you want.
The scoops look good, you could even consider clear coating them with powdercoat. It will lose some of the shine effect but you won't have to keep up the polishing.

I've been polishing all my stuff since late this winter,the scoops took the most time of course.I stripped then wet sanded down to a 1500 till all scratches and finger tips were gone.then buffed them out.

Attachments

• Vmax Polished stuff 001.jpg
    Vmax Polished stuff 001.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Vmax Polished stuff 002.jpg
    Vmax Polished stuff 002.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Vmax Polished stuff 003.jpg
    Vmax Polished stuff 003.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 25
  • Vmax Polished stuff 004.jpg
    Vmax Polished stuff 004.jpg