Another Self Inflicted Headache - Bolt In Oil Pan

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmac5

Reaction score
I was installing a small bolt (3/8") just about the Oil Fill Cap and I had the Cap off. The bolt dropped. I did not see it go in the hole but I searched on the ground forever and never found it.

I fished in the hole with a magnet and got nothing. Unfortunately, I checked the two other bolts made of the same material and they did not stick to the magnet.

Well, what would you do? Can I leave it alone or do I need to get this thing out?

I can drain the oil out and try to flush the pan and if I get nothing then drop the pan.:bang head:

Don't take a risk, drop the pan and see if it's there or you can find it. Dropping the pan isn't that big of deal.
Besides, you can get a o-ring kit to guard against that puppy popping and install it when the pan is off.

Don't take a risk, drop the pan and see if it's there or you can find it. Dropping the pan isn't that big of deal.
Besides, you can get a o-ring kit to guard against that puppy popping and install it when the pan is off.
]

OK...what is an o-ring kit and why do I need it?

Is this something I can buy at the Yamaha dealer or is this an online purchase?

Found the info on the o-ring kit. If I end up dropping the oil pan, then this fix will make sense but I am liking the clutch cover plan.

If you dropped a bolt down the oil fill cap it is a pretty sure bet you'll never get to it by dropping the pan.

The bolt is probably going to
Remain in the tranny section and the tranny section, while draining to the pan area, is pretty segregated by some divider walls from the pan are for the most part.

The clutch cover, clutch and then pulling the clutch basket are your best bet for recovering it.

Don't feel bad, I had a brand new small block chevy engine almost ready to fire up and dropped something down the intake manifold that found its way through an open valve and into a cylinder. Had to strip the top
Of the motor to recover it.

Talk about a buzz kill.

Clearances are tight in the tranny section area. I would advise against "just risking it stays out of trouble"

Eventually it could end up in a gear potentially locking the rear wheel up on you at speed. Not good.

Better safe than sorry gaskets are cheaper than anything else that a bolt can mess up. It sucks but no easy way around it happy hunting.

Don't underestimate the ability for the bolt to lodge on the engine case somewhere and be really easy to not spot it. The pan off does allow for some access to the trans area but without it being magnetic you'd be fishing with a piece of coat hanger to try and snag it out. That's what I'd do first. Pulling the clutch cover off isn't a bad idea either.

I pulled the clutch cover off and it fell right out. I took a picture of the little F'er. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 2013-09-25_10-15-45_160.jpg
    2013-09-25_10-15-45_160.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 58
Nice! I was wondering how this was going to turn out. Glad to hear it was a quick fix.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I really feel like I dodged a bullet. After I removed the cover and saw the location, it was obvious that there is no way a bolt could have been left inside.

When it fell right out....man it was Miller Time!

Back