Another starter clutch thread....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamfire

Reaction score
Sorry guys but I want to be sure. Ive got a 1997 vmax that I need a opinion on.

I just bought the bike in December from a guy who had it out in a baby barn. It was stone cold and started good no noise.

I have it stored at my work place which is heated and every now and again I would start it and let her warm up.

Last week I decided to change the oil. I put in Amsoil 10w40. After lowing it off the bike lift the starter clutch slipped, and again and again. I drianed the oil and replaced it with 15w40 Rotella. Problem solved so I thought. Work good.

:bang head:Untill today It slipped on me. Only once but it was enough to make me sick. So i pulled the flywheel to check out the clutch. 3 mounting bolts I could turn with my fingers and the threads were starting to strip. The cage is not cracked. ( i checked with a magnifing glass)

Do you think it would be ok to put it back together with new bolts but leave the rollers and springs alone??

Sorry about the book

That's what I would try. Just the new bolts and well peened into place.

Sorry for posting in two threads. Should have done a better search.

Ok guys. New here and to the VMAX. Only my second bike. Upgraded from an 86 rebel 250. I have an 88 that I bought from my uncle and I am having a difficult time with starting. I know the starter was replaced recently and new battery. As well as a lot of other things fixed on the bike when my uncle had it. Anyway, when I try to start it makes a strange sound. I am suspecting it is the starter clutch being bad. I can confirm that if I remove all the plugs it rolls through doesn't make the sound. But if I put in even one plug it starts making the sound. Maybe it could be the starter(something internal?). I kinda hope it is the starter since that would be easier to replace. But any ideas?

Here is a video of said issue

http://youtu.be/kfn7lLSln0M

Sorry for posting in two threads. Should have done a better search.

Ok guys. New here and to the VMAX. Only my second bike. Upgraded from an 86 rebel 250. I have an 88 that I bought from my uncle and I am having a difficult time with starting. I know the starter was replaced recently and new battery. As well as a lot of other things fixed on the bike when my uncle had it. Anyway, when I try to start it makes a strange sound. I am suspecting it is the starter clutch being bad. I can confirm that if I remove all the plugs it rolls through doesn't make the sound. But if I put in even one plug it starts making the sound. Maybe it could be the starter(something internal?). I kinda hope it is the starter since that would be easier to replace. But any ideas?

Here is a video of said issue

http://youtu.be/kfn7lLSln0M

Almost sounds like something binding. Doesn't sound like the starter clutch to me. At least I've never heard anything like that from a starter clutch.

I had a guy ship me his V-Max motor thinking he needed a rebuild due to the motor sounded like it was coming apart. I pulled the oil pan & valve covers, found nothing wrong. Re-installed the oil pan & covers then dropped the motor into my engine test-stand tried to fire it up & sure enough this thing sounded like a box of rocks tumbling in a cement mixer. Replace the starter clutch & all was well other then it cost him more for shipping then the parts & labor.

Well I can say the bike will eventually start. Once it's running the motor itself sounds fine. So perhaps something with the starter then?

Ok. So I decided to take off the starter and take it a part. Looks like it is a newer starter with 4 brushes instead of 2 brushes. Everything looks good. No damage to anything brushes looked good. The only thing I notice is on install. There is a good 1/4 in gap between starter and the mount flange when it is bolted down. It is the liitle bit of silver showing. If I make it flush. I cant mount it with the bolts. Could the starter be the wrong one? Or is that ok or normal? I did hit the start switch again a few times after I reinstalled the starter. Still sounds the same. Like it engages for a second and the lets go for a couple seconds then engages again. Guess I should take the side covers off and see if I can see anything that way. As I said. If and once I can get it started and running. The motor itself sounds fine. Its just when trying to start it that it sounds like that.

Its just got me aggravated. It has been sitting for almost 2 weeks and I cant ride it and the weather as been so nice. Now i am waiting for carb parts....

Attachments

• 20140506_113647.jpg
    20140506_113647.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 34
I listened to the video, and my first thought was that your starter wasn't properly engaging. Now you post up a picture clearly showing the starter NOT fully seated into it's proper position.

That starter is not fitting into the hole properly for some reason. Are you sure you have the right starter?

All the V-Max starters 2 pole and/or 4pole do NOT fully seat into the block. This gap of a 1/4" is very normal. I would bet you are dealing with a loose or damaged starter clutch.

All the V-Max starters 2 pole and/or 4pole do NOT fully seat into the block. This gap of a 1/4" is very normal. I would bet you are dealing with a loose or damaged starter clutch.

I'll be darned. I had to run outside and look closely at mine and what do you know. I've had mine off 3 times over the years for grounding issues with the brush plate, and never noticed the 1/4" gap before. This is not the first time I've learned something here on the forum.

Damon, would it be at all possible for the gear on the starter to come loose, and to spin separately as the motor turns it over? :

I'll be darned. I had to run outside and look closely at mine and what do you know. I've had mine off 3 times over the years for grounding issues with the brush plate, and never noticed the 1/4" gap before. This is not the first time I've learned something here on the forum.

Damon, would it be at all possible for the gear on the starter to come loose, and to spin separately as the motor turns it over? :

I don't think so as the splines mesh pretty well on the 2 intermediate cogs and they are big splines, its fairly tight al around.

Ok guys. I took off my side covers to see what the gears were doing when the starter was kicked over. It is the starter making the noise and from what I am seeing its like the starter is weak or battery is weak to be able to kick it over past compression. Its like the starter builds up for each jug to kick it over compression. I would get a video of it. But I am home by myself today and trying to hold the gears in place, kick the starter over and hold the camera is a little difficult. My uncle said both starter and battery are just a bit over a year old. And he said the battery IS one for the VMAX. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Have you pulled the flywheel yet to examine the starter clutch? Fun awaits you!

Excellent price on that if it will hold up. We sell the OEM new ones though at a higher cost. We also have a heavy duty conversion setup that is pretty much a permanent fix. Again, for a lot more money but that also includes the ring gear (which you need to look at closely too).

Back