Another turn signal riddle...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
Everything worked last week.
Led/brake rear and original front turn signals.

Onset of behavior: possibly when i left the left electronics panel hanging against the motor.

Now:
With switch to LEFT
Front: Works properly
Rear: Both L and R flash
Dash Indicator: No flash

With switch to RIGHT
Front: No flash
Rear: Works properly
Dash Indicator: Works properly

I am going to cuddle up with the wiring diagram and a cold one, but does anybody have enough experience that something jumps out at them as a place to start?

I always start on electrical problems with cleaning/creating known good grounds, and checking for 12 volts from the battery.

Checking connectors for continuity, checking bulbs for continuity, physical exam of wires for possible worn-through to ground wires, and whatever-else, based upon what's not doing what it should do.

You have installed LED's so it is possible your resister got damaged or failed. The behavior your describing sounds like what happens when you install LED lights without or improperly installed resistors.

You have installed LED's so it is possible your resister got damaged or failed. The behavior your describing sounds like what happens when you install LED lights without or improperly installed resistors.

I left the stock front signals on for the purpose of using their resistance, and it hasn’t been an issue for 4 years or so, the new behavior is confusing me.

Edit: Hey @Denci, just ocurred to me I have no idea what a "register" is. Enlightenment/ reference very appreciated

Last edited:
I think Mr Denci miss-tipped 'resistor'?

By the 'electronics panel' I assume you mean the one under the LH scoop?

When something breaks or stops working I always start with the looking at whatever I last did
In your case that would be a poor or broken connection from the indicator relay, possibly to the RH indicator.
Start by making and breaking the connection to the relay a couple of times - it may be that simple.
Next step would be to check you have power to the RH indicator when switched. If no power then check continuity from the relay to the RH indicator.

Possibly the bulb in Right Front is blown and thus you no longer have the proper resistance in the circuit which is why both rears are flashing

Just a shot in the dark....

^^^^Yes, not a shot in the dark but best suggestion as to where to look first. Check the R F bulb is working.

@max - there is one wire from the indicator relay that flashes either the left or right indicators, which ones flash is determined by the position of the switch.

Possibly the bulb in Right Front is blown and thus you no longer have the proper resistance in the circuit which is why both rears are flashing

That is my hope. Silly question, but do those turn signals have two separate bulbs/ filaments in them? Front R is lit up as a running light, just no flashing.

You're right, according to the wiring diagrams US and Canadians models have twin filament bulbs on the front, to act as running lights and indicators.

Mine is Canadian model but had aftermarket indicators fitted. When I replaced with original lookalikes, I did notice an unused connector inside the headlamp bowl, now I know what it is for.

We have a winner, you nailed it!
18B9DE96-5FAB-478B-8048-FD5BF7634422.jpeg

I swapped left and right and the problem flipped. Thank you for saving me some serious troubleshooting

Latest posts

Back