ANother Yamaha but not a VMax-a 360 Enduro

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this thing sitting, rusting-away, it was given to me. I tried to move it to to do some clean-up, and it was rusted so-badly that I couldn't roll it. One look at the rear wheel showed why it's incapable of movement.

I removed the rear wheel, which required heat and penetrant lube-PB Blaster. That did it. Then there was a trial to remove the brake backing plate, I guessed (correctly) when it wouldn't easily separate from the drum half, that the shoe linings had dislodged. After some patient persuasion, I was able to remove the drum and brake backing plate, and was rewarded with two loose shoe friction pieces falling-out onto the ground.

Then I had all those nasty spokes, I cut them off and removed them. The steel rim was junk, it literally rusted into almost three separate pieces, right, left, and center (where the spoke nipples attach). The rimlock was a Dunlop, as was the tube, and the tire was too. It's possible the tire was original to the bike, but the sidewall was too-deteriorated to be able to read a date.

I'm not planning to restore this right this minute, but at least I can roll it around, I swapped another wheel, complete, from another bike, to allow me to move the bike wherever. I did remove the spark plug & shoot some PB Blaster in there, not the first time it's been done. Enjoy the pics.

It's been awhile since I had to lace a wheel, I think I'll contact a few different places to find out what replacement spokes & brass nipples will run me, and this time, it's gonna get an aluminum rim.

Attachments

• 360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.01.jpg
    360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.01.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.02.jpg
    360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.02.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.03.jpg
    360 Enduro rear wheel rusted.03.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 24
A lot of the dual sport guys on Adv Rider swear by (not at) Woody's Wheel Works for all their spoked wheel needs.
https://woodyswheelworks.com/
It would be great to see your progress on this bike, which year is the bike (early 70's before they went to 400cc I'm betting)? I had a '75 DT250 that I bought new in the summer before my junior year in HS and has remained a favorite motorcycle memory ever since.

I was friends with 2 brothers who had an old DT-1 when we were growing up. We used to bomb around the neighborhood on it. There wasn't much power, or suspension but none of that mattered. The ability to be in the wind was all it took to make it awesome!

Back