Antifreeze question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I change my coolant on average every 6 years. I use anything that I've got out in the garage at the time, or if I need to buy some, whatever is on sale. I make sure it's OK for aluminum engines. It comes out clean, the catch tank isn't cruddy inside, and the motor doesn't seem to be overheating. Very rarely, I get a small drip out of the thermostat housing in front of the engine near the starter, but so far, it's not enough to concern me. Seems to happen overnight after a hard run the evening before. I'm thinking the housing loses its seal as it's cooling down. Never leaks or drips when hot. I seem to remember that the top of the housing is plastic. Maybe that's the cause of the leak? I also think I read that there is an aluminum top to replace the plastic one. Anyone know about this?
Hey Bill, I had a 83 Venture that I bought new and rode for close to 90k miles. I noticed a coolant drip in the same place you did on your max. It was when it was cold weather also. There is a black o-ring in there that can be replaced. It stopped my leak.

Another little project for the spring.. Thanks for the tip. Looks like it's gonna be some fun to get those screws off to remove the cover...

Just because its green doesn't mean its good.

I'm going to flush and use zerex G05 next spring and started using RMI-25 Cooling System Treatment in my trucks.. Probably add some of that to the bikes as well.

One of my 85's runs a little warm. Any suggestions on a aggressive flush? Iv read a vinegar/water mix and flush and neutralize with baking soda, but that was a while ago.

[QUOTE = "naughtyG, publicación: 278373, miembro: 2054"]
Compra un buen refrigerante concentrado (seguro para aluminio) en la tienda de autos y mézclalo con agua destilada. Solo necesita la cantidad de refrigerante que dice en la botella para protegerse contra el congelamiento en el invierno, dependiendo de dónde viva. Por lo general, un 25-30% de refrigerante es suficiente, ¡a menos que esté en Alaska!

El agua destilada tiene las mejores propiedades de enfriamiento y el refrigerante protege contra la congelación y la corrosión.

Siempre he mezclado mi propio refrigerante de esa manera en todos mis vehículos; ¡el material premezclado es tan caro que ni siquiera es gracioso, considerando que es principalmente agua!
[/CITA]
70% de agua destilada y 30% de refrigerante concentrado ?? 😁🙏

Back