Any Chicago area Vmaxxers available Saturday?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section for this or if it should be in the Chit chat section but the motorcycle mechanic friend of mine backed out of the roadtrip I am making tomorrow evening from S. Illinois to the Mount Prospect area. I will be looking at and hopefully purchasing a Vmax located there on Saturday.

I know this is a tall order to ask for but for the rare chance someone lives close to the area and is available Saturday morning, I would like to buy a little bit of your time in order to keep myself level headed and have someone more familiar with this bike to take a peek to make sure I'm not dropping a couple grand just so I can haul the bike home and spend a couple more repairing it.

Bike I'm (hopefully) buying:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/4569793679.html

Bike looks good and has some nice options. He didn't mention the larger headlight, different taillight, handlebars, horn and front fender. Surprised has stage 7 jet kit with stock mufflers though. That would be a question I would ask about.

Bike looks good and has some nice options. He didn't mention the larger headlight, different taillight, handlebars, horn and front fender. Surprised has stage 7 jet kit with stock mufflers though. That would be a question I would ask about.

Thanks, definitely asking about the choice of Stage 7 with stock exhaust.

He said he is a 60yo guy that switched to a BMW as the Vmax is for the 40yo guys and younger in his mind. I got the VIN and was able to back into the title number and info on the web in order to see the title was last transferred in 2010. Therefore I am wondering if he inherited it like that from a previous owner. Saturday should provide all these answers.

Additionally any guys between Edwardsville IL and Mt Prospect IL area, my offer is real for your expertise. I will pick you up on the way and pay for your dinner, hotel room, breakfast, give you a crisp Benjamin or few cases of beer or your choice of compensation, etc. in exchange for your time and knowledge.

I am meeting the seller at 8am Saturday in Mt. Prospect. I like to do things one way and one way only. That way is the right way and with my friend backing out, unfortunately I feel as though I may make a decision not based on my 'right way' attitude due to lack of Vmax knowledge.

Anyone know what the gauge on the lower part of the bike is for? (very visible on picture 3)

Anyone know what the gauge on the lower part of the bike is for? (very visible on picture 3)

Oil pressure gauge. Common accessory due to the orange o-ring problem.

The PO may have had an aftermarket exhaust and sold it before selling the bike to the current owner. Changing out the carb set-up is usually not worth the trouble to a seller.

Oil pressure gauge. Common accessory due to the orange o-ring problem.

The PO may have had an aftermarket exhaust and sold it before selling the bike to the current owner. Changing out the carb set-up is usually not worth the trouble to a seller.

Awesome thanks! I have an email to Sean already with the link to the bike as the second I get it home I want to walk through it with him and see what needs to be done to get the bike in proper shape.

My bike had the popped orange o-ring but was not bad enough to affect the pressure. I changed out the oil gallery for a later year one that Yamaha had changed to correct the problem. I have pictures and descriptions somewhere on this forum from years ago. Do a search on orange o-ring for more info. Rarely a serious problem.

Looks clean and well-maintained. Lots of desirable accessories of value to the dedicated VMax owner, a few 'fluff' pieces, like the carb diaphragm bellmouths, w/screens, totally non-functional, but they look like they should be worth 15 HP. The freeze plugs, too. Someone cared mightily for this bike, and did a lot of expensive add-ons to it.

Money talks. I would walk-away from the $5K price and negotiate down, though it's probably worth the $5K if it really has that low mileage, w/the accessories it's showing. For someone who is wanting to buy something new, I would say, $4500 is a good compromise to the full price over another buyer who may-not appear. "A bird in-hand... ."

Looks clean and well-maintained. Lots of desirable accessories of value to the dedicated VMax owner, a few 'fluff' pieces, like the carb diaphragm bellmouths, w/screens, totally non-functional, but they look like they should be worth 15 HP. The freeze plugs, too. Someone cared mightily for this bike, and did a lot of expensive add-ons to it.

Money talks. I would walk-away from the $5K price and negotiate down, though it's probably worth the $5K if it really has that low mileage, w/the accessories it's showing. For someone who is wanting to buy something new, I would say, $4500 is a good compromise to the full price over another buyer who may-not appear. "A bird in-hand... ."

Well fire, you were spot on as that's what I got it for. Road trip home now.

Congrats on the purchase!!...........Very nice Max with options!...............:punk:...................Tom.

So here is everything I know about the bike without being in front of it.

Has a true stage 7 jet kit with pods but a modified, powder coated, stock exhaust and v boost taken out but owner says is always on now. I don't know enough about it yet to know exactly what is going on but it runs good.
Avon tires with about 1,500 ridden on them
Frame and fork braces
Aftermarket triple trees with forks adjusted that shorten the rake.
A TON of aftermarket cosmetic touches.
Drag bars
LED turn signals on front with LED taillight w/ turn signals on back.
Bigger headlight.
Oil pressure gauge
Highway bars
Speed bleeders on everything
Stainless brake clutch lines etc
I'm sure I'm forgetting something but don't know for now.

There are 4 "issues" with the bike that I plan on correcting in one way or another
1. Stock exhaust with stage 7. (Already talked to Sean about getting a full exhaust system)
2. No sissy at for the wife (once again already talked to Sean to remedy)
3. Faux tank cover have a blemish in it from having clip one and bars turned to far and crushed some paint. Thinking best remedy would be to plug weld it, sand it down, and repaint it (open to different and better ideas).
4. Right side of frame by rear shocks has some sloppy welds running down the frame. Once again looks like needs to by sanded primed and painted (will determine how soon depending on difficulty. Looks like make be a tough/tight spot to fix)

Added pics for 3 and 4 to help illustrate for everyone. Any recommendations on mods etc. fire away I am open to any and all suggestions besides selling it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406423239.249315.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406423254.466143.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406423272.849120.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406423282.565913.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406423292.149540.jpg

Latest posts

Back