Any DC power Technicians in the house

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Not 12v, not motorcycle related.

This is about -48vdc. Central office type equipment.

I need to decom a battery string. It's a backup rack for a Telco system. 24 batteries with parallel 1/0 feeds. Typically, the 1/0 feeds have Anderson connectors on them and I just unplug while it's live and there are no issues.

This one has no Anderson connectors. The feeds are lugged to buss on both ends. Should be minimal load, just a float charge going thru the wires.

Not sure if I should disconnect both -48 wires first, the returns first, or one and one till are 4 are unhooked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hello, my name is Jeff and I work in the telecom world. When I'm disconnecting power, I always disconnect the -48v first and then the return, but it really doesn't matter which one gets disconnected first as long as the two never come in contact with one another. Hope this helps...

Jeff,

Can I pick your brain a bit more?

I have a battery cabinet with multiple strings. All strings are tied together at a main buss.

There are parallel conductors coming off the buss going to the rectifier. AC power is on so the parallel conductors between the buss and rectifier should not have much amperage on them to hold the batteries at the float charge.

I assume it would be best to just disconnect one string at a time instead of pulling the main feed from the buss.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking to arc weld by accident or blow up a battery string tomorrow

I got a chance to actally take a look at this equipment today. It was strapped for +24vdc, not -48vdc.

I got all decommissioned. It was much faster and easier than expected. I just removed the return then the +, one string at a time.

As each was removed from the buss, I taped each connector. Once all strings were disconnected, I removed the parallel feeds in the same way.

Back