Any input on sound and performance with baffle drilled out?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I found a stock exhaust to replace my dented stock exhaust but it has been modified. Owner says..

" by using and a 12" extenion and a 1" hole saw and sliped it up the exhaust outlet hole about 10" until he hit the deflector plate and i drilled a hole in it. The exhaust sounds just like the exhaust with five hole's drilled in it but it dont have the flutter noise. Its a vary cool sound."

Has anyone heard a stock exhaust which has this mod?

Thanks

I did that to my original exhaust, I drilled 5 holes in the baffles. IMO it sounds fine at idle but doesn't really sound that good at WOT. I would not do it again given the choice. If I were in your position I would get a set of supertrapps. You will be much happier with them and you can tune them for sound.

First I did the modified exhaust - not to happy with it.
Next got a set of supertraps - loved the sound, not to crazy about the look (maybe becuase they were black)
Then I got cobras - loved the look and sound, not loving the power loss.
Now I have 4-2-1 holeshot - love the power and sound, miss the balanced look of pipes on both sides.

I agree, when I did mine it made it sound "wet and splatty"

Then I purchased the Supertrapps.....

I agree, when I did mine it made it sound "wet and splatty"

Then I purchased the Supertrapps.....

So you guys are talking about drilling out the internal deflector plate.. 10" up the exhaust?

Or drilling out the 5 rivet holes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAO4jFGI9VM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUlTWKxbChs rebar it sounds just like the vidio's but without the fluttery sound of five hole giving away all your back pressure. If you want to pay $450 shipped for a supertrapp than do that. The stock exhaust drilled out will save you $260.00 and your bike will stay stock. I think the question is what's the best way to drill out the stock exhaust on a vmax. I say through the deflector plate so you keep back pressure. my bike dyno at 116hp and 78.5 ft pound of torx with the defletor drilled out. most vmax's dyno at 106-110 hp stock. and it was a vary good fresh air dyno.

Last edited:
If your up for cutting your center stand of and paying $450 shipped for a supertrapp than do that. the stock exhaust drilled out will save you $260.00 and your bike will stay stock with the center stand.

Why cut off the center stand? With slip-ons you can keep it.

Im ok with that. But let's answer the question.

The PO of my max read the articles on exhaust mods, and decided to do the mod where you take the bit out of the centre.
I have an '85, which has the slightly bigger outlets.
He looked inside and worked out he could remove the restrictor completely.
He put a drift down the centre and punched the core plug back. Then he started it and revved the engine until the plugs shot out the back!

It sounds 100% awesome. It is the sweetest exhaust I have ever heard on a bike. The bike runs fantastically, but I can't compare it to any other vmax.
The only other vmax's I have seen had standard exhausts, and they sounded like girl's bikes.
I have listened to all the sound files on here, and the only one which has a similar noise is Redbones bike. The ones with 5 holes sound farty, mine growls. At idle it sounds like a wolf growling, and when you touch the throttle it barks.

If I could get a good '85 exhaust I would, because my exhaust has quite a few dents. But I don't think that is ever going to happen. I actually love the original exhaust because as far as I know, it's just perfect. If someone gave me a mint '85 exhaust I would look at increasing the size of the inlets and getting a custom set of headers made to fit it, so I could get some more grunt.

It sounds that good to me!

I have a lot of hesitation about getting a Marks exhaust, but the sound that Redbone posted sounds exactly like it should be. :biglaugh:

If I could get a good '85 exhaust I would, because my exhaust has quite a few dents. But I don't think that is ever going to happen. I actually love the original exhaust because as far as I know, it's just perfect. If someone gave me a mint '85 exhaust I would look at increasing the size of the inlets and getting a custom set of headers made to fit it, so I could get some more grunt.

Boxenstopp has stocker pipes that are 4mm bigger than the original stockers.
http://www.boxenstoppdaytona.com/Gateway.htm

rebar it sounds just like the vidio's but without the fluttery sound of five hole giving away all your back pressure away. If your up for paying $450 shipped for a supertrapp than do that.

No Mike, Im not up for the supertrapps. Supertrapps may sound good, but I dont like the look. I want the stock look, but I want to be sure how this mod sounds before buying your modified stock pipes.

It sounds 100% awesome. It is the sweetest exhaust I have ever heard on a bike. The bike runs fantastically, but I can't compare it to any other vmax.
The only other vmax's I have seen had standard exhausts, and they sounded like girl's bikes.
I have listened to all the sound files on here, and the only one which has a similar noise is Redbones bike. The ones with 5 holes sound farty, mine growls. At idle it sounds like a wolf growling, and when you touch the throttle it barks.

biglaugh.gif
Thanks Bazwell.. I never thought my stock exhaust sounded Girly, and my neighbors never raised their eye brows when I rode it, unlike when I ride my second Vmax with kerker.

Girly by comparison. Maybe bad word choice.

Never had any problems with noise. No raised eyebrows. Even when I lived in an inner city unit and used to ride into the complex and park it under a stairwell. I asked the older residents if it was loud, and they thought I was joking! They told me about how loud the sportster was that used to live there, and said that they didn't even notice mine!

That's why it's so good. Sounds awesome but not offensive.
I haven't heard a Kerker, so I can't compare it, sorry.

Sorry if i sound a little up set Rebar but when i buy something i turn every stone and than i tell the person to take the 2 box's of 50 pound parts and stand in line at the post office for a shipping price. And this is the second time i had to do this with the same exhaust. Im not selling the exhaust for enough money to make it worth my while to deal with it anymore. I just dont have the room to store it and it's way to nice to junk. Let me know soon if you want it.

Bazwell you hit it on the head when you said it sounds girly. Kinda like a honda. LOL.

The stock exhaust unmodded is incredibly quiet. I hated it. I did the 5 holes and deflecter plate and it was a great sound inprovement, compared to stock anyway. Then I herd a Holeshot, Marks,Walker, Kerker and a few others. It's all about personal taste,Marks 4-2 for me. The full header system is more powerfull and better souding than anything I did to the OEM exhaust.As to removing the centerstand? I've got the tabs still, and might put it back on this year.
Steve

The stock exhaust unmodded is incredibly quiet. I hated it. I did the 5 holes and deflecter plate and it was a great sound inprovement, compared to stock anyway. Then I herd a Holeshot, Marks,Walker, Kerker and a few others. It's all about personal taste,Marks 4-2 for me. The full header system is more powerfull and better souding than anything I did to the OEM exhaust.As to removing the centerstand? I've got the tabs still, and might put it back on this year.
Steve
Yep,it's all about personal taste.I drilled my pipes because I just like the look's of the stock OEM's.There are a few of us who aren't interested in making more power.We just wanna make a little noise & keep our beautiful pipes right where they are.Ive had complements from other riders on the sound of my Max going down the high way.

Attachments

• south ponto.jpg
    south ponto.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Here's where mine ended up eventually when I started cutting on it...

sounded prett dang good really....maybe a little TOO loud...

Never mind, I can't find the pics...

Here's where mine ended up eventually when I started cutting on it...

sounded prett dang good really....maybe a little TOO loud...

Never mind, I can't find the pics...
Here's the stock pipe guts. Can't remember where I got this pic. I allways wanted to see whats inside one of these things:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Stock Vmax Muffler.jpg
    Stock Vmax Muffler.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 97
Yeah Baz, That's what I figured.
I had my Deflector Drilled before I ever did the 5-Hole Mod.
Also, That's what I meant by "Less Rumble" but I figured he could at least get a general idea of what it would sound like.
Personally I liked the sound of the 5-Hole/Drilled Deflector Modded Pipes compared to the Extremely Quiet Unmodified Stock Exhaust.
But I now have SuperTrapp Slipons and they sound alot better IMHO.

Latest posts

Back