Any Max guys own a Rocket3

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
So it's been probably 5-6 years now since I owned my Max, since then I've been on a 03 Z1000, then a 15 Z1000, and now a Scout. The Z's were a lot of fun, but I was just out of control on them. Too fast, too tempting. Put myself back on a sporty-ish cruiser to try and slow down, and my focus started to shift from go-fast hooliganism to enjoying some longer rides (although I still want my bike to have some nuts to it).

The Scout is a really fun bike, for only an 1100 v-twin it's revvy (8800rpm) and has a satisfying top end powerband, around 6000 it actually reminds me of v-boost the way it really comes on the power, although ultimately it maxes out at 96-97hp so it wouldn't give a Max any fits. It's by no means "underpowered" at all, and will push itself to an honest 130. For normal cruising, it's more than adequate. But I rode the 3 Twisted Sisters with it the other weekend, and quickly found myself missing the torque. It's a top-endy sort of motor. For normal riding, roll on performance is fine, but when you want to really attack some corners, have to ride it like a 600- constant shifting to keep the motor up in the power, since there's not a whole lot going on down low. I had a lot of fun, and granted I was trying to keep up with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure (I didn't really, but not for lack of effort).

I've started looking at the Rocket 3's as an alternative. I really enjoyed the muscle cruiser aspect of the Max, but ended up selling it from the seemingly incurable handling and stability issues. I demo'd a R3 and even bone stock the engine was a total animal. The transmission is pretty much optional. There's just sooooo much torque on tap. I even thought it handled pretty well given it's size and weight. My buddy has a Valkyrie, and I thought the R3 felt considerably more agile and easier to maneuver at low speeds. And with a LOT more power.

I found a clean used 2005 model that's been owned by a lifelong Triumph enthusiast and clearly very well cared for. Already has the nice extras like the performance mufflers, airbox/ "bearclaw" delete, ECU flash, weak early OEM clutch replaced with a Barnett, Corbin seat, backrest, luggage rack, ect. Claims it dyno'd at 147hp and 155ft-lbs torque. Also had a few of the known issues updated or fixed that plagued the early model R3's. Plus it's red, so it's the faster one.

Anyway, my main hang-up is reliability issues. Of course the seller claims it's been a great bike, he did have a few of the known issues (key switch shorted out, bearing in the final drive blew up) and updated them to the later model parts. I did some research on Triumph forums, and I have to say it's a little scary. I know forums can give a skewed perspective- people always post about their problems, people rarely post about how everything is just fine.

Just wondering if anyone here owns/owned one and has any feedback about it. I'm new to Trumpets, so don't really know a ton about them other than internet reading.

Rocket is a cool bike but except for the range aspect, (it has a big tank) it can't hold a candle to a Gen 2 VMax.

I don't know what kinda price a 2005 Rocket goes for but you can on occasion find a very good deal on a 2009 or later Max.

And, Vmax's don't break. No reliability issues at all. Just put gas in it (often) and go....no worries.

I too have been looking at the Rocket III. Saw a few videos where the gasket was pushing out of the valve cover and did read about the earlier model bearing issues. I like the overall look of the bike. Never rode one. Now that we're talking about it I might take a ride to the Yamaha/Triumph dealer and see what it's about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I 1st started looking for a vmax the 1st one I looked at the guy had one.
I think he said the max would beat up to a point from a stop.
He had bearing issues with his too and dumped a TON of $$$$ into it.
He showed me the OLD block in the back of his truck.
He had a really cool looking headder on it.
It looked like a sprint car one.
He said it was making 200 to the wheel.
It's a BIG bike.
Made the max look like a Grom!

I think Matt Capri who was associated with San Jose Triumph put a turbo on one, and it was 'even-more' of whatever it is now, stock.

I went to the showroom when the Rocket III came out, and was very surprised at the way the rear of the gas tank forced your knees and thighs apart. It was uncomfortable, and I crossed it off my list of possible rides. Haven't looked at one since.

Here's an old Motorcyclist magazine article about an Aerocharger turbo on a Rocket III, 200+ RWHP is pretty interesting. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/triumph-rocket-iii-and-harley-davidson-v-rod-boost-brothers#page-3

I have not owned one but I did ride one the first year they came out. I found it impressive and really wanted one. With all that torque it's easy to ride mellow, much easier than a Max IMHO.

Research some of the head/cam packages, and turbo packages out there just in case you find it lacking (highly unlikely).

If it feels like it fits you then it would get a thumbs up in my book. You can find decent deals on them now too since they have been around awhile. I had a new 00 Triumph Sprint to 80k and I would be quite comfortable recommending a Triumph to a friend.

Back