Any UK members using this forum?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no specified size for the size of rear number plate provided that the letters and numbers are 64mm in height with a width of 44mm. The exceptions to this rule are the number 1 and the letter I. here are also rules regarding how thick the letters are, along with the distance between letters. Both the stroke and the spacing must measure 10mm. The gap that separates the age identifier numerals and the randomly selected letters must measure 30mm and the distance between the two text lines at bottom and top are required to be 13mm. Lastly, 11mm of space must be left between the edge of a number plate and the characters it displays. Apart from that.....
The requiremets are also slightly different if your bike was registered pre or post 2001.
For example the plate size if your registration was A1 could be significantly smaller than AB21XYZ.

Despite all the above, there are still naughty boys who ride with small plates.
IMO all that does is bring you to the attention of Mr Plod which doesn't benefit anyone.

There is no specified size for the size of rear number plate provided that the letters and numbers are 64mm in height with a width of 44mm....
As an aside; Does the plate (if the bike is newer than something like aug 1991) must display the BSEU....... stamp.
A few years ago a bike mot place in glasgow failed my 1989 GSXR bike based on no BSEU... on the plate, but luckily enough I had watched the police interceptors program that week (filmed in Cumbria) where they pulled a car up for no BSEU.. on the plate, and pointed out all vehicles need this if newer that something like 1991. I appealed and won the case as DVLA had issued a false notice to all UK mot stations that every plate needed BSEU.. on them.

whenever I've bought motorcycle number plates they say the legal size is 9''x7'' o_O
we used to use little ones on our dirt bikes as they broke easily if they were the size of a garage door 😁

Hey Lucky, I love going to the Pod. It ain't that far from me as I'm in Norfolk. I have run my T5 van at RWYB and when I next visit I'll hopefully run my Vmax outfit up the strip. Dunno when but maybe see you there, Buddy. Hello to all on this site. Great site!!

From what I have read they are wrong. Whilst the letter size, spacing and layout are specified there is no stipulation for size provided the criteria above are met.
This from the DVLA explains what is required.
It could be the 9*7 inch rule is an old criteria as when I was running around in the 80’s I heard that one also.
Had a look at your document and just realised I have been driving through Spain without the proper GB identifier. I’ll need to deal with that one thanks as I’ve been fined in Spain before, and they pounce on you from nowhere.

Hi mate, Santa Pod is only 10 minutes from my house. I've been going regularly since 1976, all the big meets, RWYB, various car shows etc. Saw Sammy Miller blow the widow's out on the control tower in Vanishing Point when he came over. A good friend of mine drives the Pods two seater Dragster. Are you local to Pod, and do you go mate.

I was there too on the bank when he blew all the windows except the commentators window. He said it was a funny car windscreen.
What was it? 3.2 seconds.
Can't remember the speed.
We used to go alot back then, despite the shit weather.
Unfortunately I have been once since the strip was laid. Took the Chain drive bike to rwyb. Unfortunately I found a few issues and didn't get past 2nd gear.
I'm in Epping, Essex Steve
Hopefully we can hook up when this shit show is over.

I was there too on the bank when he blew all the windows except the commentators window. He said it was a funny car windscreen.
What was it? 3.2 seconds.
Can't remember the speed.
We used to go alot back then, despite the shit weather.
Unfortunately I have been once since the strip was laid. Took the Chain drive bike to rwyb. Unfortunately I found a few issues and didn't get past 2nd gear.
I'm in Epping, Essex Steve
Hopefully we can hook up when this shit show is over.
Hi mate, I'd be up for a meeting somewhere for a cuppa when all this crap is over

I'm in Manchester and hope to meet fine of you at one of the UK Vmax rallies in 2023. Safe riding!

This would be a good opportunity to post a photo of the first gen 2 I have seen, near Manchester. (Yet to see a Gen 1 out of the garage). This looks clean and pretty much standard, perhaps smaller rear indicators. It was a lot smaller than I envisioned, a lot of tech compacted in a small space.

1660810933165.png

There are a few Gen 2s around the North West that I see at bike meets. Maybe we'll meet at the Blackpool vmax rally next summer, if Otto confirms it.

Southern comfort vmax rally is on this year, same venue as last year, Lodsworth village hall. 29th June to 2nd July. Hopefully see a few of you guys there 👍🏻

Question for the UK contingent, do you have an undersized number plate?

Ofcourse the answer is no as we are all law abiding citizens but maybe "your friend" has?
I run 7 x 5 on all my bikes, the drag star even has black and silver 🤣🤣 so far no hassle from pc plod 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back